Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Yeah, I understand that, but keeping our record by halves? So if we have a 20 point lead at halftime and win by 18, it's a "loss." Seems silly to me.
    I think its more useful to note that quite a few teams have been able to drop 50 in a half on us even in Cameron. I guess its just another statistic that shows how poor our defense is, not that we need any more.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I think its more useful to note that quite a few teams have been able to drop 50 in a half on us even in Cameron. I guess its just another statistic that shows how poor our defense is, not that we need any more.
    I disagree. Three teams. That's all. And we won two of the three games. FSU scored 50 points in one half in a win over us, while Washington scored 54 and Michigan 53 in losses to us. The FSU game was the only one in Cameron. We beat Washington in MSG and beat Michigan in Maui.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I disagree. Three teams. That's all. And we won two of the three games. FSU scored 50 points in one half in a win over us, while Washington scored 54 and Michigan 53 in losses to us. The FSU game was the only one in Cameron. We beat Washington in MSG and beat Michigan in Maui.
    Or almost 50-

St Johns 47
    OSU - 47
    Belmot -46

When you add those three thats 6 teams that have dominated offensively against us.

Yeah, any way you slice it defense is not a consistent strength for us this year, especially on the perimeter. That's just the way it is. We need to outscore teams, basically, and hit 3s.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

When you add those three thats 6 teams that have dominated offensively against us.
    You said 50 not almost 50. Plus, we won four of the six games you reference. You cannot claim a team dominated when they lost the game. Winning is a prerequisite for dominating.
    Bob Green

no one slaps the floor...ever...

when we get that edge back, we'll get the DUKE edge back...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

My Question

Who is the leader on this team??? In previous seasons, we've had leaders, whether it be Jon, or Nolan/Kyle, even going back to Laettner. I don't get that feeling that anyone is willing to step up to that role on this team. It doesn't mean that they have to be the highest scorer, or best player, but we need someone to turn to when the going gets tough. We've had that in the past, and I just don't see it this year. Certainly guys have stepped up their play when it matters, but who wants to "carry" this team? Who wants to put their foot down and get in teammates' faces for failing assignments? I don't see anyone doing that right now. Maybe that's not a prerequisite for a championship-caliber team, but every championship we've been involved in had that leader. Hopefully someone will step up. Just my thoughts...

^Moon stated what I was trying to say in shorthand.

You said 50 not almost 50. Plus, we won four of the six games you reference. You cannot claim a team dominated when they lost the game. Winning is a prerequisite for dominating.
    Well we just outscored those other teams. I was just trying to make a point. Jeez.

Well we just outscored those other teams. I was just trying to make a point. Jeez.
    As am I. And the point I am making is the facts do not support the point you are trying to make.
    Bob Green

As am I. And the point I am making is the facts do not support the point you are trying to make.
    Harsh. I think he was really trying to say that we've had some serious defensive lapses that may indicate a real problem for us on that side of the ball. The fact that we won those games anyway with superior offense doesn't really negate his observation.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Yeah, I understand that, but keeping our record by halves? So if we have a 20 point lead at halftime and win by 18, it's a "loss." Seems silly to me.
    I hear what you're saying, however it is a statistic which shows the inconsistency which this team has displayed throughout the season.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I don't know where else to put this, but after having read the Shane Ryan piece which is linked on the front page, some of which discusses Duke's defense, I had the same reaction I have every time I read something he writes: What a jerk. A Duke fan who clearly hates the Duke players, doesn't know much about basketball, and is way more interested in showing off how clever he is than writing a fair piece. I guess that makes him the perfect Duke writer for Grantland, but I get angry every time I read the guy. OK, sorry. [/rant]
    Spot on. The guy has no understanding of the game of basketball. I don't even bother reading his trash anymore, and it's disappointing to see DBR link to his crap. Bleacher Report articles are better to be honest. He is a tool who gets off on writing hate speech against Duke players.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I hear what you're saying, however it is a statistic which shows the inconsistency which this team has displayed throughout the season.
    I suppose so. It seems to me we lose concentration, often midway through the 2nd half (which is when it happened today). By the end of the game, we generally regain our concentration, which is probably why we've won almost every game where our big lead has dissipated. Of course I agree that it would be better if the concentration lapses didn't occur. But I don't think we "lost" the half unless we completely squandered the lead.

Kind of quibbling over inconsequential details.

If a team scores anywhere close to 50 on DUKE in a half, their offense dominated our defense. For example, FSU dropped 50 on us in CIS (dang that still hurts to say) the 2nd half, that equates to scoring on 71% of their 2nd half possessions. Seventy-one percent.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Kind of quibbling over inconsequential details.

If a team scores anywhere close to 50 on DUKE in a half, their offense dominated our defense. For example, FSU dropped 50 on us in CIS (dang that still hurts to say) the 2nd half, that equates to scoring on 71% of their 2nd half possessions. Seventy-one percent.
    I'll quibble over another inconsequential detail. In the 2nd half, Florida State scored on 25 of 36 possessions in the 2nd half, which is 69%.

I'll quibble over another inconsequential detail. In the 2nd half, Florida State scored on 25 of 36 possessions in the 2nd half, which is 69%.
    My bad, I had read 25 of 35 possessions elsewhere. Yes FSU shot 67% FGs and scored on 69% of their possessions in the 2nd half. Unfortunately, I think that still counts as our defensive being dominated in the 2nd half.

We'll have to agree to disagree about "blowing leads." I would argue you don't have to lose the game to blow a lead, apparently you do. I think when most people see a 22 pt. lead being cut down to 4 pts, they would agree with me.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. Don't know of any other coach I'd rather have to coach defense than our K. It's clearly mental deficiencies and lapses in focus, which cannot be blamed entirely on youth. For example, the 2007 team that was extremely young with an injured Greg Paulus at PG and a much weaker frontcourt than ours now was #5 in adjusted defense. And they also played the #3 SOS, so our #1 SOS this year is not the culprit. It's all between the ears kids.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Anyway, we'll see what happens. Don't know of any other coach I'd rather have to coach defense than our K. It's clearly mental deficiencies and lapses in focus, which cannot be blamed entirely on youth. For example, the 2007 team that was extremely young with an injured Greg Paulus at PG and a much weaker frontcourt than ours now was #5 in adjusted defense. And they also played the #3 SOS, so our #1 SOS this year is not the culprit. It's all between the ears kids.
    I agree with this. I would note, however, that the difference between where our D is ranked in Pomeroy and #6 is just a tad more than 6 points a game, so we don't really need to tighten it all that much to get where we want to be.

I agree with this. I would note, however, that the difference between where our D is ranked in Pomeroy and #6 is just a tad more than 6 points a game, so we don't really need to tighten it all that much to get where we want to be.
    If I understand the Pomeroy stuff right (and I very well might not), as of today it's 10 points a game (adjusted) to get from #96 (where we are) to #6. Not a trivial difference.

some of the issues

I believe there are a few issues that this team needs to address.
    1. A true leader/ alpha dog
    2. ability to guard the ball
    3. ability to guard the ball screen (specifically Austin getting really tired of watching him reach around screens instead of fighting through)

I think not having a true floor leader has lead to offensive inconsistency, and lack of a defensive personality. On the flip side I think we should change our defensive approach to what we were doing in 2010. Pull the defense back to three point line. This would help with guys allowing penetration to the middle of the paint. We are big enough to control the glass against 98% of teams. This same defense is working for UVA. It should work for us as well. That being said Coach K and staff know way more about basketball than I do, but I think this is worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    If I understand the Pomeroy stuff right (and I very well might not), as of today it's 10 points a game (adjusted) to get from #96 (where we are) to #6. Not a trivial difference.
    No, it's 10 points per 100 possessions. Our current pace is a little under 70 possessions per game, which means the difference between #96 and #6 is under 7 points a game. Not trivial, no, but possibly attainable. Butler and VCU each gained 3 points (per 100) in defensive efficiency over their last 4 games. Kentucky gained 2+. We have 10 games before the ACC tournament, if we improve over those 10 games at a similar rate to those teams, it would put us in the top 15. Will we do that? I have no idea. The odds are against it. But looking at it this way, our defense is certainly not beyond redemption.