Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Karl would have given a statement himself, but he had to run down to the orphanage quickly after the game so he could kick some kids before evicting the elderly from their homes.

Is it too much to ask that he be given the State-UNC game?

Memories from the early 80's

From what I have read and saw on the replay of the incident, Hess is clearly out of line.

I personally remember saying, ummm, yelling much worse things during my time at Cameron
    sitting behind Dukes bench in the early 80's. Specifically, I told Lenny Wirtz to,...; wait,
    this is a family forum so I won't repeat it. Lets just say that those who remember Lenny can
    probably fill in the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bwl5 View Post
    From what I have read and saw on the replay of the incident, Hess is clearly out of line.

I personally remember saying, ummm, yelling much worse things during my time at Cameron
    sitting behind Dukes bench in the early 80's. Specifically, I told Lenny Wirtz to,...; wait,
    this is a family forum so I won't repeat it. Lets just say that those who remember Lenny can
    probably fill in the blanks.
    I think I was next to you, joining in.

Uncle Terry would not have approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Well, the statement does say some things:

- Karl Hess has horrible judgment, as nobody would find Gugliotta or Corchiani's behavior extreme or excessive; and
    You were there? You know what they did or said?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    And the ACC is not saying what Gugliotta and/or Corchiani did either. What is interesting is that the ACC will not state a reason for the ejection. I expect that the league knows that Hess screwed up but will not admit it, other than to say he didn't follow procedures. But it is interesting that they did not specify what those two individuals did to merit ejection from the arena. It sure looks like they are there with daughters. I do not know them, and did not witness their behavior. But as a father, I find it hard to believe they would have suggested that Hess perform an anatomically impossible procedure on himself with their daughters there. I expect the ACC will try to skate on this, but these are not just two slubs who got tanked up and were out of line. I think there will have to be more.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    And the ACC is not saying what Gugliotta and/or Corchiani did either. What is interesting is that the ACC will not state a reason for the ejection. I expect that the league knows that Hess screwed up but will not admit it, other than to say he didn't follow procedures. But it is interesting that they did not specify what those two individuals did to merit ejection from the arena. It sure looks like they are there with daughters. I do not know them, and did not witness their behavior. But as a father, I find it hard to believe they would have suggested that Hess perform an anatomically impossible procedure on himself with their daughters there. I expect the ACC will try to skate on this, but these are not just two slubs who got tanked up and were out of line. I think there will have to be more.
    Corch stated via his twitter account that neither he nor Googs used any foul language, but did criticize Hess for calling an inconsistent game.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    No, I was not there. No, I don't know. You're right; I went too far in saying nobody would find their behavior excessive or extreme, given I don't have first hand knowledge. I should have used more careful language. I should have said

- they have denied excessive or extreme behavior;
    - the video clip (the end of the saga) does not appear to show excessive or extreme behavior;
    - Yow seems perplexed;
    - as do the internet reports of others who purport to have been there; and
    - the ACC announcement does not detail the particulars of any excessive or extreme behavior.

From cbs sports:
    10:18 p.m.: ACC supervisor of officials, John Clougherty, released a statement:

"Under Rule 10, when circumstances warrant, an official has the authority to request home game management to eject fans when the behavior, in the officials' judgement, is extreme or excessive. It's unfortunate in this instance that ACC protocol of communicating directly with the home game management was not followed, and instead, a building security officer was solicited. We will re-communicate this policy with all officials to ensure proper protocol is followed."

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    ACC supervisor of officials, John Clougherty
    Man, there's the Peter Principle just, like, exploding in your face.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I am so sick of officials being so full of themselves that they act as if they are part of the action. I long for the day when technology makes them obsolete.

Last night, I went to opening night for the Derby City Roller Girls and at one point, 7, yes SEVEN, of the ten skaters were in the penalty box! We didn't come to watch the zebras skate backwards, blow their whistles and point. We came to watch muscular, real sized women in fishnets and lipstick on wheels beat up on each other!

Let 'em roll REF! Jeez, I hope the ACC comes down appropriately and swiftly on Hess. He is obviously all up in his own head.

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    I am so sick of officials being so full of themselves that they act as if they are part of the action. I long for the day when technology makes them obsolete.

Last night, I went to opening night for the Derby City Roller Girls and at one point, 7, yes SEVEN, of the ten skaters were in the penalty box! We didn't come to watch the zebras skate backwards, blow their whistles and point. We came to watch muscular, real sized women in fishnets and lipstick on wheels beat up on each other!

Let 'em roll REF! Jeez, I hope the ACC comes down appropriately and swiftly on Hess. He is obviously all up in his own head.
    That's darn funny right there.

What a Hess

Here is a nice article on the game and the incident:

http://www.indyweek.com/triangleoffe...wolfpack-76-62

The Independent Weekly sports blog (Triangle Offense) provides excellent coverage of ACC basketball.
    Bob Green

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Man, there's the Peter Principle just, like, exploding in your face.
    The Peter Principle implies that you were good at your previous job. That doesn't apply here.*

This is more like politial careers, where you can stink and just keep going up.

--alteran

* Unless, of course, that's what you mean by "exploding in your face" and I'm just being dense.

I think a lot of these issues are created because refs are allowing too much physical play, and this is an example.

I've railed on this before.
    A foul is a foul is a foul. Call the ";/-!" fouls. They are not that hard to see. Hess or any other ref shouldn't inject themselves into "managing" the game. That's on the players by simply not fouling.

Let stuff go and games get out of control easily. Call a push, call a reach in hack and call the banging...the entire game. I hate games when you hear the refs "let 'em play".

If players don't adjust to not fouling, and wouldn't that be a novel approach, they will find the bench and we'll see who has quality depth. They would stop fouling out of necessity and the game would return to a fluid style that, for me, showcases the beauty of those big athletic guys play and away from the wrestling match the game has often become.

All that said...I agree Karl Hess should be sanctioned, (from the info I have), for basically a scratch some fans inflicted on his thin skin.

Just for the record. I don't know if you guys saw the WVU - Syracuse game a week or so ago where the refs missed a very blatant goal tending call with a couple seconds left in regulation that would have allowed WVU to tie the game. Even Boeheim apologized for the bad no call after the game. Yep, that ref was Karl Hess. Possibly the worst ref in the game today.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think I was next to you, joining in.

Uncle Terry would not have approved.
    Lenny was the Wirtz.

Quote Originally Posted by Philawolf View Post
    Corch stated via his twitter account that neither he nor Googs used any foul language, but did criticize Hess for calling an inconsistent game.
    I've been fortunate to get seats at State for Duke games within 15 rows of the court. The language from the donors is atrocious and it seems to start as soon as Duke walks on the court. I haven't been to a game at Maryland, but can compare the State environment to games at Clemson, Chap Hill, WF and South Carolina - the adult language is far worse. I suspect Corchiani and Gugs don't even realize what they're yelling half the time - it just becomes mob mentality during the games. I think as long as they're second fiddle to Duke and UNC - this will continue.

None of what I've said excuses Hess's actions though - unless they did threaten him.

can you throw guys out who have jerseys in the rafters? can't they throw HESS out?

just sayin...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    Lenny was the Wirtz.
    Yes, but Paparo sucked. Or something like that.

-jk

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    can you throw guys out who have jerseys in the rafters?
    After halftime of the 82-50 game, I saw a security guard in Cameron make Christian Laettner throw out the Bud Light he brought into the gym from a reception they were having in one of the side hallways. That's basically the same thing, right?