FB: DT Tevin Hood

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blo...ardobert/73327

Chandler Hamilton defensive lineman Tevin Hood said he plans on going to Duke in the fall on an academic scholarship
    , then switch to an athletic scholarship the second semester.

There still could be a chance that a football scholarship opens for the 6-foot-1, 280-pound Hood in the fall, but he's got his 2240 SAT score and 4.6 grade-point average to fall back on to pay for his education.
    Hood said Duke coaches told him last week that they want him to play right away.

Hood, who had 19 sacks and won the Curley Culp Award as the state's top defensive lineman, said he wants to ultimately pursue a doctorate's degree in philosophy.

"I took a psychology class and I really like my teacher; that sparked my interest," Hood said. "I really like Freud and Carl Jung."
    Sounds like a good Jung player.

Sounds like our type of kid.

I hope he can show us what makes Cut so sure he can start right away, and can bring us to a bowl.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow...nice last minute pickup, thanks for the update.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Um, I wonder what academic scholarship would he be getting. Is he going to be an AB duke for a semester? Doesn't sound right...

Getting 19 sacks, weighing in at nearly 300 pounds... plus being bright... he should fit into our program's plans pretty well!

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    Um, I wonder what academic scholarship would he be getting. Is he going to be an AB duke for a semester? Doesn't sound right...
    Why not? If he qualifies to be an AB Duke and the school has indeed offered him one, what's the problem?

It's not like his grades sound like a problem...

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Why not? If he qualifies to be an AB Duke and the school has indeed offered him one, what's the problem?

It's not like his grades sound like a problem...
    I'm guessing he can't get an AB Duke scholarship and play football (due to it being a "creative" way to get around a scholarship limit). That's not to say he couldn't participate in the AB Duke program and just not get the academic scholarship. I'm curious as to how he would even get a 1 semester academic scholarship though if he plans to play football immediately in the fall. Not entirely sure how all of that works.

Welcome, Tevin!

well for starters, the AB duke is not a full scholarship, only a tuition one.

secondly, AB Duke recruiting is a pretty involved process and requires a visit, on-campus interview, etc. Has he even gone through the process? Usually scholarship winners aren't announced this early - exceptions shouldn't be made for athletes.

thirdly, the AB duke program is a 4 year program, with it's own separate commitments. I've never heard of anyone coming into the AB duke program after a year or two (or dropping out).

This seems like a passive attempt to skirt around scholarship limits. I wonder if this is even legal, or if it's just wishful thinking on his part- otherwise more schools would definitely do this.

Think about it- if he is truly qualified, shouldn't he just stay on the AB duke scholarship and walk-on the the football team- this would also free up an athletic scholarship for someone else.

2240 is a good SAT score, but it's nothing special at duke. There are 2400 kids that aren't AB dukes on campus.

That article provides some good information about this young man. How fast is he? What can he lift?

well for starters, the AB duke is not a full scholarship, only a tuition one.

secondly, AB Duke recruiting is a pretty involved process and requires a visit, on-campus interview, etc. Has he even gone through the process? Usually scholarship winners aren't announced this early - exceptions shouldn't be made for athletes.

thirdly, the AB duke program is a 4 year program, with it's own separate commitments. I've never heard of anyone coming into the AB duke program after a year or two (or dropping out).

This seems like a passive attempt to skirt around scholarship limits. I wonder if this is even legal, or if it's just wishful thinking on his part- otherwise more schools would definitely do this.

Think about it- if he is truly qualified, shouldn't he just stay on the AB duke scholarship and walk-on the the football team- this would also free up an athletic scholarship for someone else.

2240 is a good SAT score, but it's nothing special at duke. There are 2400 kids that aren't AB dukes on campus.
    True. I think there's something cool though about not being a "walk-on" on the football team, even if he does start, which is where he's coming from.

As for the SAT, I always get confused by that...I'm used to seeing scores out of 1600, so it's slightly confusing.

It's a good question. That said, Duke is NOT the type of school to give out academic scholarships to those who don't deserve it. Perhaps it's a partial scholarship? I don't know what our full programs are. (I was not a scholarship student, my brother was.)

Carolina Delenda Est

My guess is an alumni endowed scholarship since his mom graduated from Duke. They don't always gives those out every year and there's more flexibility as it's not a program like AB Duke, BN Duke, or Robertson. Some years, nobody gets it, but typically about 3 legacies get it a year. While 2240 SAT is really good, it's pretty average for an accepted Duke student. Most AB Duke's are higher...But I really have no inside knowledge of what academic scholarship he could be getting.

In any event, seems like a great addition!

That said, I don't think we have 85 scholarships spoken for yet (having lost 3 players to disciplinary issues), so I'm not sure we're seeing the whole picture here.
    Synderwine is getting one this year. Not sure if that brings it up to the max, though...

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I'm guessing he can't get an AB Duke scholarship and play football (due to it being a "creative" way to get around a scholarship limit). That's not to say he couldn't participate in the AB Duke program and just not get the academic scholarship. I'm curious as to how he would even get a 1 semester academic scholarship though if he plans to play football immediately in the fall. Not entirely sure how all of that works.
    I think that you would be right if he were a "recruited" athlete. My impression is that there has been minimal contact (no official visits and things like that) and that he can be considered a walk on when he gets to campus. Since he is not a "recruited" athlete, his scholarship won't count as one of the 85. That said, I don't think we have 85 scholarships spoken for yet (having lost 3 players to disciplinary issues), so I'm not sure we're seeing the whole picture here.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Getting 19 sacks, weighing in at nearly 300 pounds... plus being bright... he should fit into our program's plans pretty well!
    Yeah, but why hasn't he been offered by Coach Cut? If he signs his letter of intent and has been admitted to the university an athletic scholarship would be no problem, would it? Another question, why is his goal a doctorate in Philosophy, or does he mean a Phd is Psychology. Another one -- what do the recruiting sites have to say about this young man? I am assuming that he is a HS senior, since his plans are for the fall semester this year. If the linked article is accurate we could really use him, but Scout has him at 115 for his position and gives 2 stars. Has Cut ever recruited him?

Great to see a late pickup, especially one who was the best D lineman in Arizona.

He probably isnt going to get an academic scholarship, but probably a need-based financial aid scholarship. It was his coach that said "academic scholarship," so he probably got them confused.

Duke revamped their financial aid policy a few years ago and also more recently too. Families who make 70-80k (depending on other factors like siblings in college) get everything paid for (tuition, room, board) with no loans. My family made almost 6 figures a year, and I still went to Duke only having to pay 15k total for my degree (out-of-pocket and loans).

2240 is right at the Duke average (1490 for the old SAT). A stud on the field and in the classroom? Sounds just like Duke material!