View Poll Results: Who will be the top pick?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Beasley

26 38.81%
  • Derrick Rose

38 56.72%
  • Neither one ___________ will be [please fill in the blank]

3 4.48%

Who will be the top pick?

With the draft next month who does DBR expect to be #1?

Who's better?

Neither of the presumptive top two picks in next month's NBA Draft took long before answering, and naturally, their opinions couldn't have been more different.

"He's way better than me," Rose said.

"Why would he say that? His team went further in the tournament," Beasley countered.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1089914.html

very modest of both of them. I like Rose A LOT, and at this point the bulls seem to be up on Rose, so I'll go with him. Tough call especially considering their plethora of guards and need for inside scoring, but I think Rose will be the better NBA player.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    very modest of both of them. I like Rose A LOT, and at this point the bulls seem to be up on Rose, so I'll go with him. Tough call especially considering their plethora of guards and need for inside scoring, but I think Rose will be the better NBA player.
    I hope it's Rose, but either way the Bulls have a LOT of other moves to make. If they get Rose, they need to get rid of at least two guards and still need to find a post presence offensively. If they get Beasley, they MAY be addressing the post issue (if he's only 6'8", I have concerns) but they'd need to trade a big guy and a guard, and they'd still be light at the point guard position.

to me it would make more sense for the bulls to take beasley because they are already pretty set at pg with hinrich and duhon and even gordon. they haven't had a true low post scorer in a long time and beasley is what they've been looking for. him and noah could be a good low post combo on the offensive and defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    to me it would make more sense for the bulls to take beasley because they are already pretty set at pg with hinrich and duhon and even gordon. they haven't had a true low post scorer in a long time and beasley is what they've been looking for. him and noah could be a good low post combo on the offensive and defensive end.
    Yeah, this makes sense to me too, but it seems like the Bulls like to stock up on point guards.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Duhon is a free agent and unlikely to return, and Hinrich, while a nice player, should barely be a factor in this decision. Gordon shouldn't be anyone's point guard.

To me, Rose and Beasley aren't even that close. Rose has a set position at PG where he will be physically dominant. Beasley is a PF/SF tweener who isn't as much of a freak at those positions as Rose would be at PG. Their ceilings are just different, imo. Rose stands a good chance of developing into a great player in the league, and Beasley stands an okay chance of developing into a great player but more likely will just be good, I think. Rose probably has less baggage, to boot. There are only three teams in the league who should take Beasley over Rose if given the chance: the Hornets, Jazz, and Spurs because they have great, young PGs. The Bulls should take Rose.

Nothing official out yet, but in an interview, Beasley said he measured out between 6'8" and 6'8 1/2".

Rose will probably go first but I voted for Beasley. IMHO, both players have the potential to be stars. I just don't get why everyone is sold on Rose based on the NCAA's. Beasley had the better season. Rose just got hot at the right time. Plus, he played against scrubs all year.

Danny Greene

Danny Green is my top pick, I talked to his parole officer (oops, his dad's) and they are confident he has solidified the number one pick overall...

Wait, that was the number one pick in the not-so-celebrity Dance contest...My bad...

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Rose will probably go first but I voted for Beasley. IMHO, both players have the potential to be stars. I just don't get why everyone is sold on Rose based on the NCAA's. Beasley had the better season. Rose just got hot at the right time. Plus, he played against scrubs all year.
    I thought rose looked great all season, but definitely stepped it up in the NCAAs. And why would you hold that against him, big time players step up at big times.

And I don't know many PGs who are built like chauncey billups and are as quick as chris paul. That's how I usually describe Rose. I also don't know too many PGs that get up and finish double clutch dunks in traffic, which I saw him do at least twice last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    Danny Green is my top pick, I talked to his parole officer (oops, his dad's) and they are confident he has solidified the number one pick overall...

Wait, that was the number one pick in the not-so-celebrity Dance contest...My bad...
    and the hits just keep on coming. well hated.

Question I Really Have No Idea

I thought, for example, that Raymond Felton was the fastest person I had ever seen on the b-ball court and a surefire all-star and that Chris Paul was a punk who wouldn't last three years in the league. Why would anyone listen to me?

OTOH, I voted for Beasley, just because I think it is really hard to project how well guards will do in the NBA. And Beasley, while a mere 6-8 [sigh], is pretty much a stud.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post

Excellent analysis. Beasley for me, too. Much more upside for Beasley, much bigger competition during last season.

Rose did outplay AJ Price, Curtis Lofton, Pargo (more or less), Neitzel, Augustin, Collison, Collins, and Chalmers last year. He did have a sub-par game against OJ Mayo, though. All in all, he played well throughout the year against good players. And Memphis did have a higher SOS than K. St. (who only beat rival Kansas among ranked teams).

Derrick Rose will, correctly, be drafted first. But Michael Beasley will win Rookie of the Year.

There are a couple of really tremendous free agent power forwards (that would be Elton and Carlos) who will be on the market next summer which makes the appeal of a guy like Beasley slightly lower.

In fact, there's a remote chance that Beasley may not even be in the top two taken. Word on the street is that Pat Riley (who has the second pick with the Heat) really doesn't like Beasley's attitude. Whether that's pre-draft bluster or if it's the real deal is up to someone else to determine.

But there's the chance that Riley goes with Mayo at 2 and then tries to sign Elton (remember he signed Brand to an offer sheet in 2003) or Boozer who has a home in Miami where his son underwent medical treatment for sickle cell. His medical condition is such that he shouldn't be in cold climates which makes it likely that Boozer will leave Utah next season so his family can live with him during the season.

Word is that Riley is letting word out about him not loving Beasley in order to try to trade down. Someone in Miami let it out that they are talking with Memphis. If Riley likes a couple of guys (maybe Mayo, Bayless, and/or someone else... maybe a vet), he may be trying to leak word about Memphis in order to get another team in and induce a bidding war. He would want to get that out as early as possible but leave things in the air in case Chi chooses Beasley... then Miami would pounce on Rose.