Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Scheyer the spokesperson?

OK.. this is just some random thought that I had when I was reading various Duke-related articles.

Is it just me or that Scheyer has appeared more and more often to talk about the team, to represent the team? I mean... of course Markie is our captain, but we all know he isn't that great at public speeches. Sorta like Shelden, I guess. But Scheyer just seems to know the right thing to say every time. And he appears a lot in those blueplanet videos too.

I like it. And I think he'll be a terrific captain when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    OK.. this is just some random thought that I had when I was reading various Duke-related articles.

Is it just me or that Scheyer has appeared more and more often to talk about the team, to represent the team? I mean... of course Markie is our captain, but we all know he isn't that great at public speeches. Sorta like Shelden, I guess. But Scheyer just seems to know the right thing to say every time. And he appears a lot in those blueplanet videos too.

I like it. And I think he'll be a terrific captain when the time comes.
    I havent really noticed it, but I have noticed that Gerald is very eloquent. I've been watching the post-game interviews every week and I think Gerald is far and away the most well spoken person on the team. Greg is pretty good too.

This actually brings up a point I've been wondering about. Our guys always seem very, very polished in post game interviews. They handle the media really well, and always seem to give extended and interesting answers.

Given this, I wonder: do they player's get any "coaching" on how to handle the media?

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post
    This actually brings up a point I've been wondering about. Our guys always seem very, very polished in post game interviews. They handle the media really well, and always seem to give extended and interesting answers.

Given this, I wonder: do they player's get any "coaching" on how to handle the media?
    Absolutely they do and have for years.

Also remember the type of players we recruit. These are educated young men who are smart (for D-1 bball players) who come from good backgrounds and are serious about furthering their education. I think that has a lot to do with it as well.

"I can shoot with either hand, I'm amphibeous"

Quote Originally Posted by crote View Post

I do believe they are educated as to how to speak in public, including what to say, how to say it and what not to say. I hope (and believe) they are coached to lose the "you knows" and the "um's and uh's" which every youngster typically says subconsciously as a verbal pause because they don't know what they are going to say until it comes out of their mouth. Nothing more irritating than hearing a player say "you know" 15 times in a 25 second answer. Just listen to player interviews from some other teams.

The best freshman first post-game interview I have ever heard was Jason Williams'. He sounded like a senior - poised, polite and eloquent.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Amphibious. As long as we're criticizing.

Demarcus

I actually thought Demarcus was one of the better speakers on the team. Maybe he's not the best public speaker in front of something like a large banquet (not that I would know) but at press conferences or one on one interviews (at least the ones I've read/heard), he's been as well-spoken as anyone else on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    I actually thought Demarcus was one of the better speakers on the team. Maybe he's not the best public speaker in front of something like a large banquet (not that I would know) but at press conferences or one on one interviews (at least the ones I've read/heard), he's been as well-spoken as anyone else on the team.

Maybe I was just too biased because I like Scheyer a lot.

I guess I didn't make myself clearly by saying Demarcus's not great at public speech. I was just trying to say that Demarcus seems to be kind of "shy", just the type of person who won't merrily chat away unless asked to. ( Not that I know anything about him personally. It's just an impression.)

By the way, I agree with the "you know" comment. Surely they use the phrase A LOT. (Maybe I would be the same if I were surrounded by dozens of reporters.)

Talking Today Duke Basketball, tomorrow ... SNL?

Don't forget Scheyer's comedic appearance on DUI video! He doesn't even have to speak on that one!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Don't forget Scheyer's comedic appearance on DUI video! He doesn't even have to speak on that one!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Wow, DUI still exists? I think the first DUI crew was my year ('00), and I didn't know it became an institution.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    Amphibious. As long as we're criticizing.
    Fair game for sure, but the spell checker didn't underline the word so I thought I was OK. Apparently it doesn't check the title bar. Mea culpa. I'm an engineer, dammit, not an English major.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Hint: T.O.C.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I do believe they are educated as to how to speak in public, including what to say, how to say it and what not to say. I hope (and believe) they are coached to lose the "you knows" and the "um's and uh's" which every youngster typically says subconsciously as a verbal pause because they don't know what they are going to say until it comes out of their mouth. Nothing more irritating than hearing a player say "you know" 15 times in a 25 second answer. Just listen to player interviews from some other teams.

The best freshman first post-game interview I have ever heard was Jason Williams'. He sounded like a senior - poised, polite and eloquent.
    Ozzie- it is a fact that they are taught to lose the "you knows" and the "um's and uh's". They have been for years. Ever since taking one of my most intense, difficult, yet rewarding classes at Duke (I will be impressed with whoever can figure out the class and professor), I have been peeved by the use of "like" and other fillers associated with lazy speech. It was brought to our attention that Duke makes sure that players are prepared to speak with the media in an educated manner. To this day I look for the differences between the average NBA post-game interview and a Duke alum's.

It's all part of Coach K's main draw to recruits. It's not just about basketball.

Unhappy

Those who blanche at the overuse of "You know...", will not enjoy the post-game interview with Gerald AT ALL. I believe it's still linked on the main page.

s.i.

Quote Originally Posted by dukejunkie View Post
    Ozzie- it is a fact that they are taught to lose the "you knows" and the "um's and uh's". They have been for years. Ever since taking one of my most intense, difficult, yet rewarding classes at Duke (I will be impressed with whoever can figure out the class and professor), I have been peeved by the use of "like" and other fillers associated with lazy speech. It was brought to our attention that Duke makes sure that players are prepared to speak with the media in an educated manner. To this day I look for the differences between the average NBA post-game interview and a Duke alum's.

It's all part of Coach K's main draw to recruits. It's not just about basketball.
    No offense, but I think this perpetuates the "Duke as snobs" myth. There's really nothing wrong with a few "likes," "you knows" and "umms." It's not lazy speech as much as coloquial talk. In the scheme of things, it's just so minor.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukejunkie View Post
    Ever since taking one of my most intense, difficult, yet rewarding classes at Duke (I will be impressed with whoever can figure out the class and professor)
    My answer deppends on when you attended.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    No offense, but I think this perpetuates the "Duke as snobs" myth. There's really nothing wrong with a few "likes," "you knows" and "umms." It's not lazy speech as much as coloquial talk. In the scheme of things, it's just so minor.
    I think describing it as colloquial talk is too generous. It is a bad habit that is often indicative of poor writing skills. One technique that I suggest that people use to correct these speech habits is to read the best English prose out loud for 15 minutes a day.

We're talking about practice?!?

It's very refreshing to listen to the Dukies in their post gamers.

Glad we don't have any AI's on the team. "Practice. We're talking bout practice"!

So is Singler

I haven't read or seen the other interviews mentioned here, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well-spoken Singler is in the published transcript of a recent interview. 'Course, in a printed interview "you knows" and other semantically vacuous timefillers can be edited out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I could not disagree more with this sentiment. These are college educated young men for Christ sake! Everyone should be so well versed and eloquent as the "Duke Myth". It chaps my hide that the vast majority of basketball programs allow their players to use the foul grammer and slurred pronunciation usually reserved for pool halls and drug deals.

No, Blue Devil fans, do not dumb down your expectations on or off the court. Indeed, other programs should aspire to the level Coach K has acheived.

And having met Jon Sheyer, I think he makes an excellent spokesman for the program - humble, intelligent, genuine - and will make a great future captain.

Talking Who's this "Sheyer" dude?

Quote Originally Posted by KenTankerous View Post
    I could not disagree more with this sentiment. These are college educated young men for Christ sake! Everyone should be so well versed and eloquent as the "Duke Myth". It chaps my hide that the vast majority of basketball programs allow their players to use the foul grammer and slurred pronunciation usually reserved for pool halls and drug deals.

No, Blue Devil fans, do not dumb down your expectations on or off the court. Indeed, other programs should aspire to the level Coach K has acheived.

And having met Jon Sheyer, I think he makes an excellent spokesman for the program - humble, intelligent, genuine - and will make a great future captain.
    KT is rapidly becoming my favorite Elizabeth King poster!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe