Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Dexter Strickland Speaks His Mind

Unbelievable how much these guys have bought into the anti-Duke hype machine. First Ginyard, now Strickland.

I hope Duke players never conduct themselves like this in a public interview but I also hope they have just as much hate towards Carolina and their system as Roy's players seem to (Hello Marcus Ginyard.)

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/11/18/n...irving-barnes/

He added: “I think it’s a good pick for him I just hope that that system doesn’t change who he is as a player. He’s a good scorer looking to score and I know Coach K is going to want to run the program and make him fit into the system. I told him to just to stay on top of your game and just focus and have a good time at Duke.”
    Seriously? K is not flexible with his system?!? There is a very serious propaganda machine out there against Duke and Coach K and I think it's really starting to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Seriously? K is not flexible with his system?!? There is a very serious propaganda machine out there against Duke and Coach K and I think it's really starting to take hold.
    What a silly implication. Every coach has a system. Ask LeBron, Kobe, DWade and company how the system worked out for them.

Wow I'm amazed at the scouting/research Dex Strickland has done on Duke, to know Coach K's tendencies last night.

Seriously, that line sounds like it was hand-fed to him from somewhere. Hmm....

take off the dark blue glasses. nolan has said the same thing numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelongdevil View Post
    I haven't seen the context of his quote, but it's as clear as can be that one of Coach K's biggest strengths is not fitting square pegs into a round hole. Last year's time had lots of isolation opportunities for Henderson because of his ability to take it into the lane. The Redick-Williams teams took advantage of the talent on the squad and didn't really resemble the late '90s teams with J-Will, Battier, and Boozer that ran the court much more. And this year's team is a far cry from last year's team on both sides of the ball, with a zone defense and lots of ball movement on offense.

I also got a kick out of the first reader comment on Zagsblog because it is entirely true.

The whole everyone against Duke thing pi$$es me off. I mean does anyone watch Duke play other than Duke fans? Jason Williams could do whatever he wanted. Redick had the green light to gun 3's. Has Duke ever looked limited on what they run on offense? Heck half the time I want to see more sets and less one on one. Almost want to see more of a system sometimes. I'm sure Singler, Scheyer, and Smith feel "limited" by the system. Geeze...

It's like everyone wants to be on the bandwagon and beat up Duke for things that aren't even true. The anti-Duke world has given Duke a stigma that is complete bull based on the way they really play.

We'll see who is happier next year when Kyrie is running the show doing as he pleases and Dexter is watching from the pine. Sorry, my hatred for UNC runs deep. Tired of all their crap. I'm sure Roy is filling recruits minds with a bunch of crap. Here's hoping Duke hands UNC their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. this year!

That was a GREAT comment by that reader. Honestly Dex, worry about your own situation there at NC, especially when you're going to get schooled by him and Nolan next year. Kyrie is going to be incredible at Duke, with whatever "system" they may have going.

This was my favorite part from the article:
    Strickland on Barnes’ decision to announce for North Carolina via Skype on ESPNU: “Honestly, everybody was surprised. Coach Williams was surprised himself. [Barnes] did a good job of keeping on a straight face and not letting anybody think he was going here or think he was going to another school.

“I was surpsried. When he called us on the Skype I was really surprised and I’m happy also.”

Really? Did all 6 teams gather in the locker rooms waiting on the off chance Barnes picked them and called on skype? I find that hard to believe.

Please tell me that Coach K and the Duke team weren't sitting around waiting for a skype call.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMarcus Russell View Post
    I haven't seen the context of his quote, but it's as clear as can be that one of Coach K's biggest strengths is not fitting square pegs into a round hole. Last year's time had lots of isolation opportunities for Henderson because of his ability to take it into the lane. The Redick-Williams teams took advantage of the talent on the squad and didn't really resemble the late '90s teams with J-Will, Battier, and Boozer that ran the court much more. And this year's team is a far cry from last year's team on both sides of the ball, with a zone defense and lots of ball movement on offense.

I also got a kick out of the first reader comment on Zagsblog because it is entirely true.
    So I guess Roy doesn't have a "system"? Let's see if he thinks the same thing next year when he is riding the pine because of the recruits Ol's Roy is bring in to run his "free lance, just be yourself, we are all indivduals and equally important" non-system...

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    The whole everyone against Duke thing pi$$es me off. I mean does anyone watch Duke play other than Duke fans? Jason Williams could do whatever he wanted. Redick had the green light to gun 3's. Has Duke ever looked limited on what they run on offense? Heck half the time I want to see more sets and less one on one. Almost want to see more of a system sometimes. I'm sure Singler, Scheyer, and Smith feel "limited" by the system. Geeze...

It's like everyone wants to be on the bandwagon and beat up Duke for things that aren't even true. The anti-Duke world has given Duke a stigma that is complete bull based on the way they really play.

We'll see who is happier next year when Kyrie is running the show doing as he pleases and Dexter is watching from the pine. Sorry, my hatred for UNC runs deep. Tired of all their crap. I'm sure Roy is filling recruits minds with a bunch of crap. Here's hoping Duke hands UNC their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. this year!
    No need to apologize for that. I've never hated that school or program more than I do right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Really? Did all 6 teams gather in the locker rooms waiting on the off chance Barnes picked them and called on skype? I find that hard to believe.

Please tell me that Coach K and the Duke team weren't sitting around waiting for a skype call.
    That's another thing UNC fans will tell you. Roy didn't even know until the Skye.

Oh yeah...OK...whatever. The whole UNC and Roy "aw shucks, let's drink a Coke" bit is so phoney I want to puke.

Link?

uhhhhh???

Quote Originally Posted by 6th Man View Post
    That's another thing UNC fans will tell you. Roy didn't even know until the Skye.

Oh yeah...OK...whatever. The whole UNC and Roy "aw shucks, let's drink a Coke" bit is so phoney I want to puke.
    That's why there were reports that Roy was "giddy" and would be on ESPN at 6pm. Because he didn't know what decision HB was going to make.

I have this bridge for sale if anyone is interested.

rivalry...

Does anybody remember that Duke/UNC is a RIVALRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke/Carolina players and fans have become too nice to each other. This is the biggest rivalry in college basketball.

Players should be talking trash about your biggest rival.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    Link?
    I'll second that request.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post

Duke/Carolina players and fans have become too nice to each other. This is the biggest rivalry in college basketball.

I agree, but not spewing unfounded garbage that has no basis in reality in a public interview.

Some guys have class, some guys skip it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post

It's always a rivalry, but there are times when the players (and coaches) are somewhat cordial, and times when there is a palpable dislike between the participants. I have a feeling we're heading toward the second status.

Who really cares what Dexter Strickland says about anything?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    It's always a rivalry, but there are times when the players (and coaches) are somewhat cordial, and times when there is a palpable dislike between the participants. I have a feeling we're heading toward the second status.
    Haha. That got me as kind of funny.
    The new definition of rivalry: "A palpable dislike between the participants"