Thread: UNC loses again

UNC loses again

Wow- something is not right with Roy's boys. They are not sure who they are right now. At the end of the game- Tech almost handed them the game on a silver platter. Crittenton was cramping- Tech was turning the ball over but Carolina could not reel it in. They are beginning to doubt themselves in close games. Can't say I feel sorry for them- but they really don't know who to go to when it gets tight. Games from here on out are usually close.

I think part of their problem is the same as us. It's called growing pains they also are a very young team like we are. Though they are deeper and more athletic then we are. I wonder though who if any of their players will defect and go Pro at the end of the year.

I think you're dead on right. Experience goes a long way. In my opinion, experience is why so many mid-majors are making noise these days. And making noise over the "big boys."

I also see a point guard issue here. Two good ones with different styles. I didn't watch all of the game but where was Lawson? Something going on?

Wow, and I thought things got bad HERE when we lost...

Inside Carolina is blowing UP. And I admit, that is the biggest pleasure I've gotten this season

Lawson

He played a lot of the second half when I watched- and I thought he played well. He is small but fast. Not sure he has all the tools to take over a game yet- but he is tough. Not sure if there is any problem- unless he is not feeling great- but at the end of the game- he was in.

All I can think about, unfortunately, is how two straight road losses increases the probability that UNC comes out like a hellcat at home Sunday.

I agree. They're young. The biggest difference between UNC and Duke this year is the smattering of Tar Heel upperclassmen, and maybe the unique talents of Brandan Wright. I know it's frowned upon to look ahead, but: Next year is going to be really interesting. UNC is going to lose some guys to graduation (but not their studs) and Duke will not lose anyone but are getting an influx of help. If I remember correctly, UNC isn't bringing anyone in next year. Which team will have the upper hand will probably be known when the deadline for declaring for the NBA draft passes.

Freshmen:
    UNC:
    ?

Duke:
    Kyle Singler
    Taylor King
    Nolan Smith

Sophomores:
    UNC:
    Brandan Wright
    Wayne Ellington
    William Graves
    Ty Lawson
    Alex Stepheson
    Deon Thompson

Duke:
    Gerald Henderson
    Lance Thomas
    Jon Scheyer
    Brian Zoubek

Juniors:
    UNC:
    Mike Copeland
    Bobby Frasor
    Marcus Ginyard
    Danny Green
    Tyler Hansbrough

Duke:
    Greg Paulus
    Josh McRoberts
    David McClure
    Marty Pocius
    Jordan Davidson

Seniors:
    UNC:
    Quentin Thomas
    Surry Wood

Duke:
    Demarcus Nelson

Carolina will lose Wright and Terry. Others are questionable.

Wright would be a top 5 pick, IMO. Watching last night's game, I thought that UNC didn't go to Wright enough. Hansborough is good, but can be neutralized with a good game plan much easier than Wright. He's a game-changer IMO. Explosive. Nice, quick and simple moves around the blocks --- a nice soft shot around the basket. I really don't think anyone in the ACC can defend that guy one-on-one.

Our problem last night was the same one that has plagued in our other recent losses - we haven't rebounded well (giving up way too many offensive rebounds) and our defense has been porous. Teams have been able to drive in and kick out to an open man way too often.

I think that both faults stem in part from the same issue - our players always try to go for the spectacular block. If we just manned up and stuck up a hand, we'd be in better position to box out and we'd be better able to recover if the ball is kicked out.

Of course, the two issues listed above are just one of the reasons we're struggling. It also seems like we've just been outhustled in the previous games.

I'm hoping Roy can turn things around before the tournament starts; if he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second round exit.

Could Duke/unc be the 3/6 game on Friday in the ACC Tournament? I don't think there's a way for unc to get the #1 seed back, is there?

That would be surreal, although something similar happened in 2002 when Duke/unc was the 2/7 game.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Could Duke/unc be the 3/6 game on Friday in the ACC Tournament? I don't think there's a way for unc to get the #1 seed back, is there?
    It is possible, I think, but both Virginia and Virginia Tech would need to lose their last game.

GT shot the ball very well, which always helps regardless of the D. But, it is interesting how poorly UNC defends the three --- a problem that didn't start with Roy. I think Roy's system is more geared toward the offensive side of the ball; that secondary break is a big part of it and UNC scored several times after made GT baskets by being so quick up the court.

UNC looks a bit fractionated out there, which can happen with deep talent-laden teams (especially when the most talented players are freshmen). Nobody wants to get down and do all the dirty things --- everyone is thinking about the next offensive possession.

I'm not ready to predict an early UNC exit from either tournament. But, the team doesn't look like the type of UNC team that will win a NC. But, if things break right, I could see them in the FF.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    It is possible, I think, but both Virginia and Virginia Tech would need to lose their last game.
    That looks right, and of course unc would have to beat us on Sunday. Which won't happen.

After we beat them, and Maryland beats State in College Park, unc will drop to a FIVE seed and have to play on Thursday! Both kuralonna and muralyn will be 10-6 with the terps winning their only matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by vango View Post
    I think you're dead on right. Experience goes a long way. In my opinion, experience is why so many mid-majors are making noise these days. And making noise over the "big boys."
    See also, Virginia, Maryland, VaTech, Texas A&M, BYU, etc. etc. Excellent point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    Our problem last night was the same one that has plagued in our other recent losses - we haven't rebounded well (giving up way too many offensive rebounds) and our defense has been porous. Teams have been able to drive in and kick out to an open man way too often.

I think that both faults stem in part from the same issue - our players always try to go for the spectacular block. If we just manned up and stuck up a hand, we'd be in better position to box out and we'd be better able to recover if the ball is kicked out.

Of course, the two issues listed above are just one of the reasons we're struggling. It also seems like we've just been outhustled in the previous games.

I'm hoping Roy can turn things around before the tournament starts; if he doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised to see a second round exit.
    Welcome Ralph. First off, nice post name, and second, its nice to have rival fans around to have rational basketball discussion on the board, so I hope you stay and continue to post. That said, until Sunday evening, Go To Hell Carolina!

I too was suprised at how badly UNC got out rebounded in the last two games. The defense was pretty much shown up in the OSU game, so I don't find that nearly as suprising, but I was wondering what you think the real problem is with UNC as far as chemistry goes? I mean, I feel like in the last few games... really since State... that the team just doesn't look as fluid as they did earlier in the season. It doesn't look like they are enjoying playing together anymore. Thoughts?

That's a tough question. I don't think we are necessarily less fluid on offense (though I would like for us to go into Wright and Hasbrough more often). I'm hesistant to use the word "chemistry" because I don't get the feeling that the players don't like playing with each, but I think the constant rotations don't allow us to get into a feel for each other on the defensive end.

Personally, I don't mind playing a lot of players - I think there are times it can really help (especially at home where other teams might not get the emotional energy the crowd provides). What I think hurts sometimes, though, is that there is no consistant substitution pattern. It seems like every game there will be a stretch when five players are on the floor together who have very limited, if any, playing time all together. Such was the case last night at Georgia Tech when we had (if I remember correctly) QT, Ginyard, Green, Stephenson, and Thompson playing at the same time.

While we did struggle offensively with that line-up (the only people I'd like shooting the ball would be Green or Thompson), I think such a line-up is more detrimental defensively. Without the experience of a lot of gametime together, it's hard to know when someone will rotate over or pick up the screener's man, etc. Such breakdowns allow for either easy baskets in the lane or open three-point shots (both of which happened way too often last night).

well

next year is going to be a great year in the rivarly

Next year will definitely be great, although I'm hoping that we take the game on Sunday so that we can say that even this year has been good. The game at Duke was incredibly close, and if we hadn't run out of steam I think that we would have won it. I know that the riavalry draws more attention when both teams are highly ranked (top 5 or so), but as long as the games are really good games I feel that it was a good year for the rivalry. That said, I'd love to sweep them every year.