Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Bracket Dilemma

So I'm having a really hard time picking a national champion. The reason? You have to go all the way back to 1998 to find a coach that won the national championship on his first trip to the Final Four. It's really really hard to do.

So, that leaves us with the following teams that, according to that logic, have a shot at winning the whole thing:

Florida - too arrogant...this year's UConn 06
    Arizona - They don't play defense
    Maryland - Could happen, but very very unlikely
    Georgia Tech - Nope
    Wisconsin - Injuries and an overall aversion keep me from picking them
    Kentucky - Uh...no
    Illinois - They shouldn't even be in
    Duke - They'll make a run, but FF is still not likely
    Indiana - Who knows? But still not willing to bank on it
    UCLA - My gut tells me not to pick them.
    UNC - Duh again
    Michigan State - They're weak.
    Marquette - I don't really know much about them other than they beat us.
    Texas - Great lineup, but I doubt it.
    Texas Tech - They'll upset some people, but not enough to get very that far
    Louisville - Same as above.

Problem is, my Final Four is: Oregon, Kansas, G-Town and Texas A&M. None of which are coached by guys who have been to the Final Four.

Should I go with my gut or go with the stats and change my FF?

Go with the team that made it to the finals last year and came up short, but returns almost everyone. Unlike FLA, they aren't as ****y due to having lost it and will have more desire. You just have to replace KU in your final 4 and you're set.

That's funny...I use a very commonly accepted synonym for arrogant and it gets starred out. Sometimes the language filters go a little far?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    That's funny...I use a very commonly accepted synonym for arrogant and it gets starred out. Sometimes the language filters go a little far?
    Same thing happened to me, which is why I chose arrogant. I personally like ****y better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

Problem is, my Final Four is: Oregon, Kansas, G-Town and Texas A&M. None of which are coached by guys who have been to the Final Four.

Should I go with my gut or go with the stats and change my FF?
    i have the same four.

Testing...Shuttle****. Poppy****. ****amamie.

I would go with your gut, feldspar. Less regret that way. When Calhoun won his first championship, he did it after previously suffering several losses in the Elite 8 and never making the FF. I could see Self doing the same this year.

Oh, I have the same Final Four, except swap out Georgetown for UNC.

Imo

Hey Feldspar,

You should definetly go with Kansas, Texas, Oregon, and Ohio State.

Why you ask........bc that is who I have in MY BRACKET and I know everything.

Just Kidding.....your guess is as good as anybody's.

I think it's interesting that a lot of people have Oregon in their final 4. From what I've read/heard, most people don't have a lot of respect for them (despite the fact they were one of the last 3 teams to lose a game). They're an interesting pick, in my opinion, because they can probably beat anyone, but will depend on the outside shot quite a bit.

Something else that bodes very well for UCLA in my bracket:

Since 1998, the team to knock off Duke in the tournament has always gone on to either the Final Four, or the championship game, or has won it all.

Unfortuanetly.....

Something else that bodes very well for UCLA in my bracket:

Since 1998, the team to knock off Duke in the tournament has always gone on to either the Final Four, or the championship game, or has won it all.

We would see UCLA in the 3rd round and we have to get through the first 2 rounds first.

GOSH FELDSPAR WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO JINX US!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    We would see UCLA in the 3rd round and we have to get through the first 2 rounds first.

GOSH FELDSPAR WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO JINX US!!!
    This is my "head" bracket. I of course have Duke going all the way in my "heart" bracket.

How about Memphis? Calipari is their coach, right? And he has been to the FF with UMass.

BTW, the Wisconsin coach has not been to the final four.

Naaahhhh

Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post
    How about Memphis? Calipari is their coach, right? And he has been to the FF with UMass.

I think Memphis is the most overrated team in this tournament. They have played absolutely NODODY.

Oh my bad they did play East Carolina University twice........and ECU played with them in the second game.

I predict Memphis doesn't go any further than the 16 and if they do I will eat humble pie, it has been known to be one of my favorite deserts in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by oso diablo View Post

Really? Bo Ryan has never been to the FF? Whoops, I thought he had been with the Badgers longer than he had. You're right, it was Dick Bennett that led them to the FF in 2000.

And, yep, forgot about Calipari too, although '96 was a looooong time ago.

I think Memphis is the most overrated team in this tournament. They have played absolutely NODODY.
    I hear University of NODODY actually has a good squad this year.

You Could Be Right

I hear University of NODODY actually has a good squad this year.
    I think did Memphis did pull out a close one against U of N (Universtiy of Nobody).

And sadly that probably would be considered their biggest win on their tournament resume.

my post wasn't really a comment that Memphis should be his pick to win it all, although i see how it looks that way. It was to point out, given the criterion (a coach that's been to the FF before), Memphis was a team that had been overlooked.

I've been going through the same thought process, and was stuck with Memphis (because i won't pick Carolina). Couldn't pick UCLA because of a stronger axiom: no team that loses in its first conference tourney game (or was it just in the literal first round?) has ever won the whole thing. That removes UCLA from the equation. (and another team we're all familiar with, i'm afraid)

I do multiple brackets, and will pick Memphis in one of them, mostly because i doubt anyone else will. Everyone around here will pick Carolina. But they're not my top choice, by any means.

Testing

South Carolina Game****s love *****cats.

Regarding the brackets, I'm doing mine this afternoon as I enjoy the day, a beautiful 82 degrees. I've listened to some of the talking heads and have a few thoughts. Once I've actually filled em out I'll post some stuff here this evening. Only 23 hours to go

Ignore the stats

I know I am. Stats are no predictor of future performance in a situation like this. They are just an aggregation of trends involving different people in similar situations. Statistically, George Mason should have never made it to the FF last year. Statistically, the Cardiac Pack should have never happened. Stats are just a tool to prove your hunches right (and get your dissertation)

By the way, my FF is Florida, UCLA, Georgetown and Ohio State. I find it interesting that noone is giving Ohio state enough credit to get to the FF - they do have the fewest losses on the year, all to quality opponents.

Exiled

Hi....My name is NoOne

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    By the way, my FF is Florida, UCLA, Georgetown and Ohio State. I find it interesting that noone is giving Ohio state enough credit to get to the FF - they do have the fewest losses on the year, all to quality opponents.

Exiled

and I have Ohio State in my FF, bc they have the easiest bracket.