Thread: Idol last night

Idol last night

Blake made a bad song choice. He sang it well, but Imagine is not a good song to showcase his voice and it is not the kind of thing where people think you hit a homerun. I think he may be bottom 3, but I don't really think he is in danger.

Chris Richardson is now finally out of his league. He's the worst left, in my opinion. I did not like his "boy band" version of...

Ooops, gotta run... more later.

-Jason "Chris, Blake, and Lakisha are bottom 3, IMO" Evans

I respectfully disagree, to a point. I wouldn't put Chris in the same league as Jordin or Melinda, but I think he's right there with everyone else, and I enjoyed his version of Clapton's "If I Could Change the World." He added his own style but the song was still recognizable, and I think his version would sell.

Phil was good last night, but not as good as last week. Blake was dull. I couldn't stand Lakisha. Those are my bottom 3.

At this point, being in the bottom 3 isn't so bad ... after all, there's a 50/50 chance if you just go by pure numbers. There's actually only a 25% chance of NOT being in the bottom 3 if you recognize the superiority of Jordin and Melinda.

Chris just has no range at all. He simply is not the singer that the rest of them are at this point. I did not hate his version of Change The World but it sounded off at times because he has to stay in one very specific vocal range or his voice is toast.

Simon is right about Lakisha -- she screams. My wife says it is like listening to gospel sung with too much energy. I just think the other contestants have largely passed her at this point.

I'll be shocked if someone other than Chris or Lakisha goes tonight. I won't be shocked if Melinda is in the bottom three, by the way. The frontrunner tends to have a scare at some point in the competition.

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Chris just has no range at all. He simply is not the singer that the rest of them are at this point. I did not hate his version of Change The World but it sounded off at times because he has to stay in one very specific vocal range or his voice is toast.

Simon is right about Lakisha -- she screams. My wife says it is like listening to gospel sung with too much energy. I just think the other contestants have largely passed her at this point.

I'll be shocked if someone other than Chris or Lakisha goes tonight. I won't be shocked if Melinda is in the bottom three, by the way. The frontrunner tends to have a scare at some point in the competition.

-Jason
    That seems to mesh with what Dial Idol has. They've only got Jordin out of the bottom 3 for sure, but they have Chris as the lowest and Melinda as second lowest. I can't imagine that AI will let Melinda get voted off, although I think that Cowell probably feels that Jordin is his most likely money maker out of this group.

I don't like Justin Timberlake at all and that is all I can think of when I hear Chris sing, therefore I don't like him. Not that really has anything to do with the outcome of American Idol, but I thought I would just throw that in.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    That seems to mesh with what Dial Idol has. They've only got Jordin out of the bottom 3 for sure, but they have Chris as the lowest and Melinda as second lowest. I can't imagine that AI will let Melinda get voted off, although I think that Cowell probably feels that Jordin is his most likely money maker out of this group.
    Simon Cowell has nothing to do with the records produced by the Idol contestants. I don't think he gets anything from them.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Simon Cowell has nothing to do with the records produced by the Idol contestants. I don't think he gets anything from them.
    That's not true, Simon has a contract with BMG. BMG provides the record contract to the winner. (His contacts go even further, I just can't remember them). Do a search for Simon's interview on 60 minutes. He goes on about how he is worth more to BMG than Bruce Springsteen and should be paid more etc... His justification is that his show and the contacts he provides through the show sell many more records than the Boss..

Rediculous that no-one got kicked off last night. This is just going to open up a conspiracy that someone they didn't want to get kicked off got the least votes and they are hoping that the extra week averages things out. Personally, I thought Lakisha was toast... She is too similar to Jordin and Melinda and they are both more talented than her.

I see Lakisha and Chris going home next week (I would say Phil, but Simon may be right that the country fans will start voting for him)

Prediction: Jordin, Melinda and Blake will be the final 3 with Jordin coming out on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    This is just going to open up a conspiracy that someone they didn't want to get kicked off got the least votes and they are hoping that the extra week averages things out.
    Combine that with the Dial Idol results that showed Melinda in trouble and you have a winner of a conspiracy theory!

Elvis

I did like the Elvis deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukiedevil View Post
    Rediculous that no-one got kicked off last night. This is just going to open up a conspiracy that someone they didn't want to get kicked off got the least votes and they are hoping that the extra week averages things out.
    My wife said they hinted on Tuesday night that there would be something "shocking" on Wednesday. I think it was planned all along. Good way for the mobile companies to pick up an extra week in texting fees, that's for sure.

Cynical as I am, this show moved me to make a contribution...cannot stand the idea of children suffering. I know, I know, simplistic appeal, jerking the heartstrings, blah, blah...still, made me feel better to "do something."

Performances I loved: the 4 tenors ("Il Divo??)... wow... Josh Grobin w/ the children's choir, cool Celine & Elvis, Kelly & Jeff Beck, Earth, Wind and Fire. But, man, is Rascal Flatts THE worst sounding live act on planet Earth? That band and "pitch" are only fleetingly acquainted, lol. Whoever tunes them with Pro Tools in the studio deserves a raise.