Thread: Heroes

Heroes

Caught up on the last two weeks of Heroes tonight, and this mini season isn't quite as horrible as it was at the start. They may be able to salvage something yet.

But I need to say this: I can't remember a dumber character in TV history than Mohinder. Horribly written and acted, with poorly articulated motivations and a face you just want to punch. He seems to exist only to move the plot along by doing the stupidest things imaginable. Every time a gun is pointed in his direction I pray for someone to end this misery.

At least half of the Toxic Twins are gone...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    At least half of the Toxic Twins are gone...
    That's a start. Now kill the other twin, muscle memory girl, Nikki, the little girl who finds people, and of course Mohinder. I may have forgotten a few, but I think this show would be much better served by 5 or 6 heroes than the sprawling cast we have now.

Last night's episode was decent-- especially by the abysmally low standards the show has been at recently. Still, the show is populated by characters who act like idiots.

Ummm, I wonder how many people it will take telling Peter that Adam is a bad guy before Peter actually believes it. Hiro attacking Peter without first having a conversation is fairly idiotic too. It would have taken them just a couple seconds to work everything out. Seeing as time has been frozen for everyone but them (uhhh, how exactly does that work?), you'd think they could take a moment to sort things out before attacking each other. Oh, and the promos show Hiro getting the drop on Peter, which is just laughable considering Peter's power. Peter kicks everyone's butt and it ain't even close.

Has Sylar regained his ability to eat brains and steal powers? It was not clear to me if he had taken the power from the male wonder twin. I guess he is going to try to force Mohinder to "cure" him of his lack of powers (something that remains unexplained).

I must concur with the belief that Mohinder is the lamest character on TV. I wish Noah would have figured out a way to get Parkman into The Company and they could have just thrown Mohinder out a window.

Lastly, the show is making a bad move by barely introducing us to Company characters and then killing them off. I think we have now met all the Company founders or we are darn close to knowing all of them. I am still not clear if some of them have powers and some do not or if they all had powers (as has been implied). We are yet to see Bob show off any power, but the fact that his daughter has them would seem to indicate that he must have them too. Same with Mama Petrelli-- she's got to have a power with 2 powerful sons. Anyway, doing away with so many of them so quickly (like with the scientist lady last night) is a little lame and takes away some fun avenues for the show to take in the future.

Wait, what am I doing thinking about the future!?!?! Heroes never plans stuff out in advance anyway.

--Jason "should be fun to see how unresolved everything is when the show goes off the air next week-- yaaaaay for the strike... NOT!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We are yet to see Bob show off any power, but the fact that his daughter has them would seem to indicate that he must have them too.
    Bob has the power to turn things to gold with a touch. We saw that earlier this season.

Last night's episode was decent-- especially by the abysmally low standards the show has been at recently. Still, the show is populated by characters who act like idiots.

Ummm, I wonder how many people it will take telling Peter that Adam is a bad guy before Peter actually believes it. Hiro attacking Peter without first having a conversation is fairly idiotic too. It would have taken them just a couple seconds to work everything out. Seeing as time has been frozen for everyone but them (uhhh, how exactly does that work?), you'd think they could take a moment to sort things out before attacking each other. Oh, and the promos show Hiro getting the drop on Peter, which is just laughable considering Peter's power. Peter kicks everyone's butt and it ain't even close.

Has Sylar regained his ability to eat brains and steal powers? It was not clear to me if he had taken the power from the male wonder twin. I guess he is going to try to force Mohinder to "cure" him of his lack of powers (something that remains unexplained).

I must concur with the belief that Mohinder is the lamest character on TV. I wish Noah would have figured out a way to get Parkman into The Company and they could have just thrown Mohinder out a window.

Lastly, the show is making a bad move by barely introducing us to Company characters and then killing them off. I think we have now met all the Company founders or we are darn close to knowing all of them. I am still not clear if some of them have powers and some do not or if they all had powers (as has been implied). We are yet to see Bob show off any power, but the fact that his daughter has them would seem to indicate that he must have them too. Same with Mama Petrelli-- she's got to have a power with 2 powerful sons. Anyway, doing away with so many of them so quickly (like with the scientist lady last night) is a little lame and takes away some fun avenues for the show to take in the future.

Wait, what am I doing thinking about the future!?!?! Heroes never plans stuff out in advance anyway.

--Jason "should be fun to see how unresolved everything is when the show goes off the air next week-- yaaaaay for the strike... NOT!" Evans
    Wasn't the plan to have a storyline that was the previous generation's story? If not, I'm with you - they are ruining a lot of potential stories.

I think that Heroes has an advantage in regard to the strike - as far as I recall, they planned on having next week be a cliffhanger until February - now it will just hang longer.

Anyway, they haven't permanently killed off anyone of substance so far - I think their promo about two supers dying next week will be lame, too. Maya and Elle, I bet. Noone that we have known for long and care about. And of course, they will keep Mohinder alive because he is the conscience of the show - or some such ridiculous reason.

Exiled

Mohinder has the most awesome power of all...he can make the entire program disappear by inducing viewers to change channels.

Here's a good one-- if Peter and Hiro chat for a second and figure out that they both want to stop the virus and they succeed in stopping the virus then how does Peter rescue the Irish chick (Caitlin?) he left behind in the virus-filled future?

I had forgotten about Bob's power. I wonder if he can turn living people into gold-- that'd be cool!!

--Jason "are they really gonna kill off Elle? They have really wasted Kristin Bell's talents so far" Evans

--Jason "are they really gonna kill off Elle? They have really wasted Kristin Bell's talents so far" Evans
    I would assume so, as she was publicized as having a 4 episode stint on the show. Next week would be the 4th, I think. The main thing? I don't really care who dies.

Mohinder is so stupid I feel stupid watching the show.

I like Elle, and Skylar is still strong. Otherwise, I pretty much think all the other characters have taken a step backwards, and the new characters are not strong.

I'm watching for the special effects now.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    I can't help but feel that there is something that will surprise us about Mohinder, because otherwise I agree he is the biggest idiot of all-time.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post

I like Elle, and Skylar is still strong. Otherwise, I pretty much think all the other characters have taken a step backwards, and the new characters are not strong.

I'm watching for the special effects now.
    !!!
    SPOILERS BELOW, NOT THAT THERE AREN'T OTHERS IN THE THREAD.
    !!!

Yeah, at this point I myself am continuing to watch just for the thrill of the car crash. How bad can it get?

Every week my wife gets the TiVo remote and says, "Chuck or Heros?"

"CHUCK!!!" I scream, and we laugh.

My wife actually got bummed for a few seconds when HRG got killed. I just turned to her and said, "this is Heros-- they're just gonna write him back in." The only real surprise was that they did it before the end of the episode.

Stupid Hero's Plot Point #218 -- why re-animate HRG? Here's easily the biggest enemy of a ruthless organization which thinks nothing of killing people, and they go to great lengths to revive him? Yeah, that makes sense. Why not arm him, too?

Seriously, the only thing that could save Heros right now would be the silhouettes of Crow, Tom Servo, and Joel on the bottom of the screen.

I'm rooting for Sylar now.

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    My wife actually got bummed for a few seconds when HRG got killed. I just turned to her and said, "this is Heros-- they're just gonna write him back in." The only real surprise was that they did it before the end of the episode.

Stupid Hero's Plot Point #218 -- why re-animate HRG? Here's easily the biggest enemy of a ruthless organization which thinks nothing of killing people, and they go to great lengths to revive him? Yeah, that makes sense. Why not arm him, too?

Seriously, the only thing that could save Heros right now would be the silhouettes of Crow, Tom Servo, and Joel on the bottom of the screen.

I'm rooting for Sylar now.
    Rooting for him now? I think I have been rooting for him since the middle of last season. He is easily the smartest and most interesting of all the Heroes.

As an aside, Adam's blood has the same curative powers as Claire, right? Cause if it does the Company better have huge vats of the stuff stored up. It is the miracle cure-all to any disease ever. Why did old black dude have to die in season one if The Company knew about a cure? Peter's blood also has the same power as he has been around Adam and Claire. This is a silly, stupid plot point.

-Jason
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 12-01-2007 at 09:40 PM.

Why did old black dude have to die in season one if The Company knew about a cure? Peter's blood also has the same power as he has been around Adam and Claire. This is a silly, stupid plot point.

-Jason
    Could it be possible that scab writers might improve the plot lines?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Could it be possible that scab writers might improve the plot lines?
    There is no such thing as scab writers because the actors, directors, and producers on this show (and virtually every other show) will not work with scab writers. After all, the actors and directors are planning on going on strike in June and the last thing they want is scab directors and actors taking their place.

Carson Daley (his show is mostly performances and interviews and only employed like 2 or 3 writers) was looking at his entire staff being laid off if he did not come back to work. So, he agreed to come back. He is asking friends to send him jokes and stuff via email that he can use to replace the writing on the show. But, he is facing huge scorn and anger among the Hollywood community as a result. Lots of folks are saying he will not be able to book actors as guests on his show because no one is willing to cross the writer's picket line.

CBS was forced to cancel a planned Democratic debate in like a week or two because most of the Democratic candidates are refusing to cross the Writer's picket lines outside CBS in LA. Even though there is zero writing in the debate, because the network is being picketed the candidates won't cross the line and the debate is being cancelled.

Anyway, the bottom line is that even if you coudl find scabs, no one in Hollywood will work with them so the shows will remain dark.

--Jason "that said, I think we could get me and 4 or 5 other regulars from the DBR together and write a show several times as good as Heroes" Evans

Jason "that said, I think we could get me and 4 or 5 other regulars from the DBR together and write a show several times as good as Heroes" Evans
    That's an idea and I think that you should run with it. I mean, the competition isn't all that strong out there, and people will probably look forward to some better scripted content if the strike continues and reality shows take over in the new year.

I can point out the blatantly obvious, if that skill is needed. I, like many other engineers, am purely logical so can't provide anything creative.

Spoilers on last night's finale

Spoiler warning...

I thought last night's episode was OK. It started out strong, was the best in the middle, but then went downhill at the end. I cheered when Sylar finally offed the last of the twins, only to boo when they brought her back 3 minutes later. That's the second time in 3 weeks they've done that. Let the characters be dead already! If they bring Nikki or Nathan back, I will vomit. Their character has more than run her course, and their powers suck. Nathan was already replaced by a flying kid anyway. Do we need two with the same power?

I liked that we finally got to see Hiro really exercising his power, and to Jason's repeated point, it is pretty amazing. He could have killed Peter if he'd wanted to. Sticking Adam/Kensei in a coffin was a nice touch, although I would have preferred putting him in the jurassic period.

HRG coming back to his family only to leave was completely ridiculous. "Hi Honey, I'm not dead. Stop this plotline now. Gotta go." And we're supposed to buy that?

Peter is also ridiculously gullible. How many people have to tell him that Adam/Kensei is evil before he gets it? Apparently five or so. One article I read said the most unintentionally hilarious moment was the expressions on Parkman and Peter's faces during their mind battle. I'm not sure how Peter planned to save his female friend from the future after he got the virus. Now that it doesn't exist (since the virus was stopped), does she still exist in an alternate future or something? Time travel creates so many problems. What's up with all the other random crap in that safe?

Nathan's murder was pretty obvious, although his mother setting up the hit was not. All in all, not as strong as last year but still passable, at least over the last few weeks. They definitely need a new storyline other than "save the world" or "take down the company" for next year.

Two side questions:
    1) Did we ever learn what Mama Petrelli's power was?
    2) Did we ever see how Sylar steals powers? I've heard people say he 'eats' brains, but I don't recall ever seeing it explained or confirmed.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Spoiler warning...

I liked that we finally got to see Hiro really exercising his power, and to Jason's repeated point, it is pretty amazing. He could have killed Peter if he'd wanted to. Sticking Adam/Kensei in a coffin was a nice touch, although I would have preferred putting him in the jurassic period.
    Great summary of the good and the bad from last night...I also agree that the coffin was a nice touch but I was screaming at the TV when Hiro and Adam were first in the vault. Why not freeze time, grab the sword and virus and then have a dialogue about it...

I'd like to see Peter and Sylar battle next season but I think Peter is going to be too busy being jaded and looking for revenge...