Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm comfortable judging Barnes as a college player and ignoring his NBA future, for now. And his college career is, by any realistic definition, a disappointment when judged against both his media hype and his self-hype. He was, in his time at Chapel Hill, a good small forward. For parts of games he was dominant, but rarely for a whole game or for a stretch of games. He was never close to being the best player on his own team. In fact for the bulk of his career, he was the fourth best player on his team (although that is fourth behind three very, very good players in Zeller, Henson, and Marshall).

For a kid who came to Chapel Hill touted as a preseason NPOY/All-American (not his fault, that was media hype), and who talked about leaving his legacy there (that's all on him), he leaves UNC as a borderline first team All-ACC player, and his legacy is a couple of good, but not spectacular seasons both for himself and his team.

He may go on to become a stellar NBA player, but that will not change his "legacy" at UNC. If he disappoints in the NBA, people will point to his time at UNC as an early indicator that he wasn't the player he appeared to be in Iowa. If he has a solid but unspectacular NBA career, people will look at his time at UNC as about par for the player he went on to be come in the NBA. If he becomes a perennial All-Star, people will wonder what happened to him at UNC, why he struggled between such a stellar high school career and a stellar NBA career.

Obviously, in that case, the problem will have been Roy.
    I've been avoiding posting in this thread because part of me feels like the longer we talk about Harrison and analyze him, the more he "wins" despite not winning on the court. He is clearly not solely interested in winning on the court but also being the center of attention, so even threads like this that pick him apart would be to some extent gratifying to an ego like his.

That said, this post is great. Very well stated. Perhaps we can just summarize this thread with this post and leave it at that? I really dislike seeing the name "Barnes" each time I check the board.

Come on, he's a kid. My children drive me crazy sometimes. Had he come to Duke we would have lionized him, regardless of his hideous decision announcemnt. When in Chapel Hill he behaved and he tried. He's gone. Let him find peace. End this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Come on, he's a kid. Let him find peace. End this thread.
    negative...he punked our coach, he disrespected the staff, he schemed with roy to embarrass the university....he BEGGED for the limelight....he preened for the entire world to witness his "legacy"...he wore the shirt, the medallion, and he fell WAY short of doing ANYTHING....

no...let this thread live on forever...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Get a life

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    negative...he punked our coach, he disrespected the staff, he schemed with roy to embarrass the university....he BEGGED for the limelight....he preened for the entire world to witness his "legacy"...he wore the shirt, the medallion, and he fell WAY short of doing ANYTHING....

no...let this thread live on forever...
    move on - Get a life

I agree - Enough is enough
    This just makes us look petty

Let's see how it plays out over the next couple of years

love,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I wonder what makes him feel that way, seeing as it certainly wasn't Bullock's performance this season (8.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg). Nevertheless, it does show how far the expectations have fallen. Can you imagine someone proposing that the summer before HB's freshman year?
    Towards the end of the year I remember a lot of games where Bullock appeared to be the superior all around player, the Ohio game comes to mind immediately.

My first impression of Bullock was the Draft Express video where he said some questionable things about Duke and Coach K. Instantly, I didn't like the kid, if the shade of blue he wore wasn't enough....Then he got hurt and I kind of forgot about him. But, watching Carolina games this year he really started to impress me with his attitude and how hard he played on defense. I really started to enjoy the way the kid played the game and realized my initial impression of the kid was totally off base.

I would not be surprised at all if he turns out a better NBA player than Barnes and I fully expect him to be a monster next year.