Page 125 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126 LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2515
    Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post

Edit: Bob Green, are you opposed to recruiting Barnes and Knight? I guarantee you neither one gets a degree - unless they come back from the NBA in the summers. I wonder what people think about these two.
    No! I am not against recruiting Harrison Barnes and Brandon Knight. In fact, those are the type of players we should be pursuing. Brandon Knight is an exceptional student at an elite private high school and Harrison Barnes comes from a family that stresses academics first. They are both Top 5 recruits who will most likely leave college early and earn millions in the NBA. My point is that while they are in college they will be student-athletes serious about their course load. I expect both will eventually earn a degree either during summer sessions or after their NBA careers are over.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Vincetaylor View Post
    Wall could have showcased his skills at Duke, but he definitely would have more fun at a long list of other places.
    Well, I don't know. I went to Duke and I had a great deal of fun.
    Last edited by Kedsy; 05-19-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Recruiting a single "one and done" does not make a trend. I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, this is Coach K we're talking about. He's not going to turn into Calipari or even Thad Matta.

Duke has looked at several guys with one and done potential (Patterson, Monroe, Boynton), but the first two went to school for at least two years, and we'll see what happens with Boynton. The fact is that due to the NBA's collective bargaining ruling, there are several guys every year that leave after their first year for the draft. If you go after the best talent, it's almost impossible to completely stay away from one year players.

Right now we're looking at Brandon Knight and Harrison Barnes. Both are excellent students. Are you opposed to recruiting them because they have enough talent to possibly go to the NBA after one year?

Edit: Bob Green, are you opposed to recruiting Barnes and Knight? I guarantee you neither one gets a degree - unless they come back from the NBA in the summers. I wonder what people think about these two.
    You HAVE to recruit the Knights and Barneses of the world

Count me among those who are disappointed that we didn't land Wall and/or Bledsoe. I wish them no ill will but do not want to see Kentucky do well. At this point, I'm ready to move on and focus on the guys we got.

I see this as (potentially) our best team since the JJ/Sheldon team (despite the loss of Henderson).

I like what the two incoming freshman bring to the table (especially Plumlee who I think adds a lot of athleticism on both ends of the floor).

I think Singler is a first team All-American.

I see Scheyer as an improved and even more confident player (and he has always been a quality player).

E-mail is a dynamic player and a potential difference maker on both ends of the court.

Smith has tremendous potential. He was playing really high quality basketball down the stretch. I see a much improved player after another summer of work.

We have a lot of depth at the big man position for the first time in a long time.

We have a hungry team, coaching staff, and fan base.

Let's not sell this team short.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Duke View Post
    It is not a matter of "having enough talent" to go to the NBA - it is a matter of having no apparent intent of hanging around for more than one year. I know playing in the NBA is the profession to which players aspire but the mandatory one year of NCAA servitude before you can turn pro is a joke.
    I agree that the NBA high school entry rule needs to be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    No! I am not against recruiting Harrison Barnes and Brandon Knight. In fact, those are the type of players we should be pursuing. Brandon Knight is an exceptional student at an elite private high school and Harrison Barnes comes from a family that stresses academics first. They are both Top 5 recruits who will most likely leave college early and earn millions in the NBA. My point is that while they are in college they will be student-athletes serious about their course load. I expect both will eventually earn a degree either during summer sessions or after their NBA careers are over.
    I agree with this. The problem I have is that it's completely a matter of perception when it comes to approval of recruiting players like this. Some one and dones are okay, while some are not. Brandon Knight is a one and done, but no one has any problem going after him because he gets good grades at a good school. He's at one extreme. John Wall's grades might have been a red flag, but if he had a 3.2 GPA, would that have changed people's minds? 3.6? Where is the cut-off? If he has a nice smile and friendly, outgoing attitude, will the cut-off be lower? It's possible that one player with a 2.8 GPA would participate in class at Duke and add to the academic experience, while another with a 4.0 in high school would sleep in the back, but because he was naturally more intelligent, pass all his classes. It's actually impossible for an outsider that has never spoken with a recruit to know what kind of student-athlete he will be. Luckily, we pay coaches and administrators to do this and make those decisions for us. So far, I have no reason to doubt their ability to make good decisions.

Edit: The most ironic thing about the John Wall recruitment, to me, was the fact that Clifton, his "handler" (!!!) actually pushed for him to attend Duke.

Good luck to Mr. Wall The article on the front page is very insightful. Duke basketball will be fine. Who's to say our Nolan Smith doesn't step up big time! I sure hope so. I like him a heck of alot better than some unknown highly touted recruit. That's it. Anything further about our recruitment for 09 would probably be pointless, imo.

Aren't we done beating this dead horse yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    can a recruit fill a roster spot K needs and contribute to the team, help it win, within the time frame the kid is likely to be around? if yes, then

Is the recruit a very solid student?

If the answer to both is yes, then we have a pretty good chance, and the kid would have a good chance of flourishing in his time at Duke, and going on and having a successful life, including, possibly, coming back and graduating from Duke. Think Luol Deng.

Brandon Knight, the answer to both questions is yes. He is probably good enough to play a lot as a freshman, so even if he stays one year, he has helped the program and Duke win. He is a very solid student.

John Wall, with all due respect, is not the same caliber of student, and, therefore, the answer to the second part of the question is no.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The N&O's Caulton Tudor has an article addressing the possible impact of Wall going elsewhere on all of the triangle schools, not just Duke. Not sure why he's written it in the Charlotte Observer, but it's his take on the situation. Nothing new, just another opinion.
    http://www.charlotteobserver.com/col...ry/734254.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Article

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The N&O's Caulton Tudor has an article addressing the possible impact of Wall going elsewhere on all of the triangle schools, not just Duke. Not sure why he's written it in the Charlotte Observer, but it's his take on the situation. Nothing new, just another opinion.
    That's an interesting article about Wall, but I wouldn't make too much about the fact that Kentucky was able to get a big recruit out of the triangle. Because of Wall's particular situation, he got very little interest from UNC and only late interest from Duke, so that won't repeat itself very often.

.......The problem I have is that it's completely a matter of perception when it comes to approval of recruiting players like this. Some one and dones are okay, while some are not. Brandon Knight is a one and done, but no one has any problem going after him because he gets good grades at a good school. He's at one extreme. John Wall's grades might have been a red flag, but if he had a 3.2 GPA, would that have changed people's minds? 3.6? Where is the cut-off? If he has a nice smile and friendly, outgoing attitude, will the cut-off be lower? It's possible that one player with a 2.8 GPA would participate in class at Duke and add to the academic experience, while another with a 4.0 in high school would sleep in the back, but because he was naturally more intelligent, pass all his classes. It's actually impossible for an outsider that has never spoken with a recruit to know what kind of student-athlete he will be. Luckily, we pay coaches and administrators to do this and make those decisions for us. So far, I have no reason to doubt their ability to make good decisions.

At this point in time, the Duke admin. seems to be very lenient, hands-on, yes, but very lenient with respect to Football and Basketball admissions. It is to the point that recruiting a player who sweeps up the bottom of the permissible range can often be an exercise in frustration. Marginal students typically do not enjoy the Duke experience (talk with Chris Kennedy), and generally are not as interested in attending Duke in the first place. Yes, you can get a marginal student through Duke or keep them eligible, with a lot of hand-holding, tutoring, monitoring. Recruiting within the allowable range (really broad at this point) without prioritizing the smarter kids who meet the basketball roster needs criteria actually lower yields. Football learned that lesson in the 09 class, where they lost several top recruits (top 30 ranked in their positions) supposedly interested in Duke, had Duke on the final list up to signing day, but who chose other less academically rigorous schools. They had 950 SATs the admissions office was willing to accept. This year, in Football, Cut is looking more at who is the best academic-football fit, rather than just who he can get in and then the best position fit. And, he is getting top recruits as a result. Olaniyan, Snead are excellent students. The results, yield, of higher ranked players looks promising.

One and dones which fit the roster needs and who are good students - think also Corey Maggette - high SATs.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    That's an interesting article about Wall, but I wouldn't make too much about the fact that Kentucky was able to get a big recruit out of the triangle. Because of Wall's particular situation, he got very little interest from UNC and only late interest from Duke, so that won't repeat itself very often.
    Technically BOTH of our recruits this year are kids from NC. Kelly is all the way legit and Plumlee by way of Indiana... Before it's all said and done Marshall will be a true NC kid.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Caulton Tudor? Didn't he retire 10 years ago? Or was that just when he should have retired?

Just in case anyone wants a couple more reasons to grind their teeth...

Doesn't seem very likely Wall would actually stay three years, but still...

http://www.kentucky.com/818/story/802751.html

Bledsoe... whyyyy....

The Latest UK Rumor: John Wall to Greece?

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/06/la...to-greece.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlueinBlo View Post
    The Latest UK Rumor: John Wall to Greece?

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2009/06/la...to-greece.html
    Wall will get qualified.

The comments on that site though, are quite amusing. The UK fan base is pretty darn divided on the win-at-all-costs attitude of Mr. Calipari.

--Jason "Wall to Greece... I wonder if Brandon Jennings draft position this year will affect that" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Jason "Wall to Greece... I wonder if Brandon Jennings draft position this year will affect that" Evans
    In which way? CW is that Jennings doesn't make it past 10, and it's hard to say whether he'd be materially higher or lower if he spent the past year in college.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'm reading that it's also not clear whether Eric Bledsoe has qualified academically yet to play as a freshman at UK. Imagine neither Wall nor Bledsoe playing for UK next year.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 06-03-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: removed redacted post quote

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wall will get qualified.

--Jason "Wall to Greece... I wonder if Brandon Jennings draft position this year will affect that" Evans
    OK, Jason.

It's now July, has Wall qualified?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    OK, Jason.

It's now July, has Wall qualified?
    Do we care? And all indications appear to be yes...