Page 18 of 179 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
    I really hope we get Muhammad

Shabazz is at the team USA prax right now... You think K invited him? I know he lives in Vegas so maybe he just came to check out the scene but accoring to his tweet sounds like he's doing more then just sitting in the stands...

@phenom15balla
    At USA team practice right now I've been practicing with some of the USA players on the team Kevin Durant,Derrick rose ,o j mayo,tyreke Evans and a couple more just trying to show them that this high schooler can go!!!
    You would think K would have a little bit to do with him getting some behind the scenes/on the court experiences there. If so then maybe this is our "Harrison Barnes, meet Michael Jordan" moment with Shabazz and maybe leads him respect K even more watching him coach a bunch of NBA stars...
    Last edited by DukeBlueNV; 07-20-2010 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    Shabazz is at the team USA prax right now... You think K invited him? I know he lives in Vegas so maybe he just came to check out the scene but accoring to his tweet sounds like he's doing more then just sitting in the stands...

You would think K would have a little bit to do with him getting some behind the scenes/on the court experiences there. If so then maybe this is our "Harrison Barnes, meet Michael Jordan" moment with Shabazz and maybe leads him respect K even more watching him coach a bunch of NBA stars...
    There will be other high school ballers to attend the practices throughout the week. The USA staff is being very proactive with involving youth in the program. Don't be surprised to see Shabazz playing on the U-17 USA Team next year...

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    There will be other high school ballers to attend the practices throughout the week. The USA staff is being very proactive with involving youth in the program. Don't be surprised to see Shabazz playing on the U-17 USA Team next year...
    Hmmm... Okay that makes more sense. I didn't think that maybe people like Shabazz who are/will be involved with USA B-ball junior teams would get to hang, scrimage or do whatever with the team. Can't hurt us though that K and most of the staff are there and I'd guess that Muhamad must have had a few words with them. At the very least he gets to see them in action with all those NBA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueNV View Post
    Hmmm... Okay that makes more sense. I didn't think that maybe people like Shabazz who are/will be involved with USA B-ball junior teams would get to hang, scrimage or do whatever with the team. Can't hurt us though that K and most of the staff are there and I'd guess that Muhamad must have had a few words with them. At the very least he gets to see them in action with all those NBA guys.
    I certainly hope not, IIRC, they are in a "dead period" for recruiting and any contact between Duke and Shabazz (or any other recruit for that matter) would result in a recruiting violation.
    Last edited by MisterRoddy; 07-21-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    I certainly hope not, IIRC, they are in a "dead period" for recruiting and any contact between Duke and Shabazz (or any other recruit for that matter) would result in a recruiting violation.
    So how do you get around that legally and ethically? Based on Airowe's post,it appears that there is an agreement (and possible approval) in place with the NCAA in order to allow the HS kids to see the practices; and possibly participate. So wouldn't that mean they would naturally interact with Coach K; or does it mean that the Coack K and college coaching staff members keep their distance and let the NBA coaches work and interact with them?

According to his Twitter, Alex Murphy is going to the Team USA prax today...

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    So how do you get around that legally and ethically? Based on Airowe's post,it appears that there is an agreement (and possible approval) in place with the NCAA in order to allow the HS kids to see the practices; and possibly participate. So wouldn't that mean they would naturally interact with Coach K; or does it mean that the Coack K and college coaching staff members keep their distance and let the NBA coaches work and interact with them?
    I don't know but naturally, I trust K knows what he's doing so I'm not worried.

Amile Jefferson '12 thread

now, i actually searched the forums this time and didn't see a thread on this guy yet, ha. This guy is a top recruit that is looking at Duke, Villanova, and Temple among others. I figured a top recruit like this should get their own thread.

HERE is a video

Quote Originally Posted by chillfan23 View Post
    now, i actually searched the forums this time and didn't see a thread on this guy yet, ha. This guy is a top recruit that is looking at Duke, Villanova, and Temple among others. I figured a top recruit like this should get their own thread.

HERE is a video
    While yes, we are recruiting him, we have other priorities and I don't think the recruitment of his has developed enough to warrant his own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    While yes, we are recruiting him, we have other priorities and I don't think the recruitment of his has developed enough to warrant his own thread.
    Rivals has him ranked #25 in the country and Scout has him #4 at his position so he his highly sought after, but I agree, he does not warrant his own threat quite yet. Once we have figured out our 2011 class (which could be a while) then we can focus on Amile, Shabazz, and Justin Anderson among others a little more closely.

Chillfan, you are striking out on new threads, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Rivals has him ranked #25 in the country and Scout has him #4 at his position so he his highly sought after, but I agree, he does not warrant his own threat quite yet. Once we have figured out our 2011 class (which could be a while) then we can focus on Amile, Shabazz, and Justin Anderson among others a little more closely.
    Well just because he's highly ranked doesn't make him priority, right now I'd say the recruits we are going after hardest in '12 are Shabazz and Murphy, perhaps the recruitment of Amile picks up, maybe it won't.

Chillfan, you are striking out on new threads, aren't you?
    Leave it to a UNC troll to clog up the boards.

In other news, JP Tokoto has dropped in the rankings to around 38 and from 5-star to four star. Will ole roy rescind offer? hehehehh. Wouldn't it be funny if Gbinje turns out to be a better player. MG wanted to be a tarheel. AW shucks....

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    In other news, JP Tokoto has dropped in the rankings to around 38 and from 5-star to four star. Will ole roy rescind offer? hehehehh. Wouldn't it be funny if Gbinje turns out to be a better player. MG wanted to be a tarheel. AW shucks....
    No, why would Roy do so? Despite his recent struggles, I don't think Roy is just going to give up on this kid who has recruited and followed for the past year... Nor do I think Coach K will with the talent this kid has. Like we have said before, rankings mean very little at this point for the 2012 class because rankings can be awfully misleading.

For example; Kyrie Irving was ranked in the mid 40's his sophmore season and now he is the 2nd overall rating recruit in the 2010 class, Harrison Barnes was in the low 20's in his sophmore season and is the #1 rated recruit in the country in the 2010 class, and the list goes on and on and on of these examples. So don't put do much into the rankings thus far in the recruting process for the 2010 guys.

Also, where did you see where Michael Gbinje wanted to join UNC? UNC had him as one of there top targets at one time as you see in this article, invited him to there alumni game and watched him very carefully throughout his soph and junior seasons. So UNC was making a hard run at him... He could have gone there but he went to Duke instead. Where have you heard that he wanted to go to UNC? Because he could have if he wanted to but didn't.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s...%2f842241.html

http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s...%2f895542.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    I'm no recruiting guru, but it seems that Ol' Roy has got the Aw Shucks Touch, aka anti-Midas Touch, where everything he recruits turns to "Aw shucks..."

Like... Marvin Williams, HB, Brandon Wright ect. I'm not sure I follow.

Quote Originally Posted by papa whiskey View Post
    Like... Marvin Williams, HB, Brandon Wright ect. I'm not sure I follow.
    Well, we'll see.

The Tarheel 2009 class of Strickland, Wear x 2, Henson, and McDonald is at best off to a slow start.

Ole Roy went through a period of taking shortcuts in recruiting and filling his classes early IMO, and it's costing the program.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, we'll see.

The Tarheel 2009 class of Strickland, Wear x 2, Henson, and McDonald is at best off to a slow start.

Ole Roy went through a period of taking shortcuts in recruiting and filling his classes early IMO, and it's costing the program.
    Yeah I can really see it is really costing that program. They have made it to 3 final fours in the last 6 seasons, winning 2 national champions in the past 5 seasons. Just because UNC had a down year this year doesn't mean he is costing his program. UNC lost 4 of there starter from the previous season and there main 6th man and had major injuries with Ed Davis and Tyler Zeller.

Let's take a look at his classes since 2004:

2004 (won the national championship): Marvin Williams- 2nd overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft.
    Quentin Thomas

2005: (Lost in the sweet sixteen)
    Tyler Hansbrough
    Danny Green
    Bobby Frasor
    Marcus Ginyard
    Michael Copeland

2006(lost in elite 8 to Georgetown):

Ty Lawson
    Wayne Ellington
    Brandan Wright
    Deon Thompson
    Alex Stephenson
    Will Graves

2007: (lost in final four to Kansas)

No one commited

2008 ( won national championship):

Ed Davis
    Tyler Zeller
    Larry Drew
    Justin Watts

2009: ( Lost in NIT Final)

Jon Henson
    Wear Twins
    Dexter Strickland
    Leslie Mcdonald

The jury is still out on the 2009 class and 2007 where he did not have anyone commit, but everything else here looks pretty good to a coach building an elite program and that has had very good success.

So I wouldn't say he is costing his program.

Remember, they have a year like this in 2002 and bounced back to win the national title two years later.

Here is what Shabuzz said about visting Duke again... This was about a week ago:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/07/i...it-duke-again/