Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I was joking, but yeah, Aldridge's surgery doesn't help either.

I'd guess we're looking at Love, Chandler and Bosh as locks, with Griffin as a possibility. Don't really need to worry about the second big spot with Durant and LBJ on the roster...
    I think Chandler and Love are the only 2 we need to be honest. K is going to play 4 perimeter players with 1 big anyway. I think Chandler and Love can hold down the 5 spot with no problem.

I don't know, Bosh is pretty good in international games, and we had 3 true bigs on the 2008 team. Only two in 2010, but we also had Odom who played the 5 at times. My best guess at this point:

Paul
    Bryant
    James
    Durant
    Chandler

Bench guards: Westbrook, Williams
    Wings/Forwards: Anthony, Wade, Gay
    Bigs: Love, Bosh

With maybe Griffin or a shooter like Curry having a chance to beat out Gay or Bosh.

I don't think Howard's injury is a huge deal, honestly. Chandler has been very good in international play, and has completely bought into the "Zoubek role" in the past.

I think Bosh is a lock for this spot. I don't see Blake beating out Bosh or Love because he can't shoot a lick and he's not a great defender, he can just rebound pretty well because of what a freak he is athletically. I'd like to see Noah get a look here and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up making the team. I hated him at Florida just as much as the next guy, and maybe since I like the bulls I'm biased here, but he's the type of no-nonsense, little things player that I really like.

I don't see Gay on this team really, but the more I think about it the more I don't see anybody else to take his spot. I think Rose would get the nod over Westbrook IF he were going to play, but I doubt that he would even attempt it after the injury bug bit him hard this season. I also think that after the season Rondo has had, he'd get another real hard look, but after the last attempt at this, I'm just not sure.

Where's the patented Dukie on this team? Gotta have one. Dunleavy, Redick? What's the point of having your coach in charge if he's not going to be incredibly biased!!!!

Not Noah (Reprise)

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think Bosh is a lock for this spot. I don't see Blake beating out Bosh or Love because he can't shoot a lick and he's not a great defender, he can just rebound pretty well because of what a freak he is athletically. I'd like to see Noah get a look here and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up making the team. I hated him at Florida just as much as the next guy, and maybe since I like the bulls I'm biased here, but he's the type of no-nonsense, little things player that I really like.
    !!!
    The thread has dealt with Noah extensively -- he's on the French national team!

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The thread has dealt with Noah extensively -- he's on the French national team!

sage
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Sorry, got lazy and didn't read the whole thing. Ok then I think that the bigs should be Love Chandler and Bosh. Bang, done.

Still think we should bring in Dunleavy or Redick though.

Don't forget that LeBron James routinely guards the 4 position in the NBA and is frequently being mentioned as a potential defensive player of the year. Saying that the team will be four perimeter guys and one middle guy does not do this team justice (although I do think that Howard's injury makes Tyson Chandler pretty much a lock for the team).

K's going to miss out on all the top big men and have convince a 2004 veteran like Tim Duncan to play again.
    I've begun thinking that there is actually nothing wrong with any of the prospective centers for the Olympic team. Between all these players "recovering from injuries" or choosing to play for other countries, I'm starting to realize the true underlying problem: Coach K just can't recruit big men.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    Don't forget that LeBron James routinely guards the 4 position in the NBA and is frequently being mentioned as a potential defensive player of the year. Saying that the team will be four perimeter guys and one middle guy does not do this team justice (although I do think that Howard's injury makes Tyson Chandler pretty much a lock for the team).
    Actually, James rarely guards the PF spot in the NBA. That responsibility falls to Haslem and Bosh, and occasionally Battier (with Anthony, Pittman, and whomever else the Heat want to run out there playing C). James guards anyone from PG to SF on a regular basis. Only in rare occasions does he guard the PF spot.

That said, he's perfectly capable of doing it, especially in the international game.

I'd expect Chandler, Love, and perhaps Bosh to make the team and play C.

Don't really need to worry about the second big spot with Durant and LBJ on the roster...
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Actually, James rarely guards the PF spot in the NBA. That responsibility falls to Haslem and Bosh, and occasionally Battier (with Anthony, Pittman, and whomever else the Heat want to run out there playing C). James guards anyone from PG to SF on a regular basis. Only in rare occasions does he guard the PF spot.

That said, he's perfectly capable of doing it, especially in the international game.

Chandler, Love and Bosh seem to the be the natural guys here as all 3 played Center on their respective previous USA teams. Love and Bosh's size and style of play is more ideal for the 4 spot, but on this team there isn't room for them to play the 4 so they'll be centers.

I'd feel ok with any/all of them on the team as backup center options, or occasional PF options, but the lack of a top tier true center on the team may hurt us in the later rounds when we play teams like Spain and Brazil that have 1st class frontlines.

Chandler is a true center, but played the second fewest minutes on the 2010 team competing with Lamar Odom and Love for minutes at Center. That's not terribly encouraging. His play the last 2 NBA seasons though make me optimistic that he can perform well, though.

It also wouldn't shock me to see LBJ guard the 4 or even 5 spots occasionally/situationally, i.e. late game with 5 foul shooters out there or maybe due to foul trouble, etc. Don't think we'll see much of it, but I don't think I'd have a problem with it being used occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

I seen Lebron play the 4 and guard the 4 plenty this season.

Simmons wrote about the Olympic team in his mailbag last Friday.

He's got the following as locks - LeBron, Wade, Durant, Kobe, Rose, Paul, Love, Carmelo and Tyson Chandler. He adds Westbrook as a near lock. That makes 10. Then he debates the merits of the final two spots for big men, centered around the argument that we have to be able to stop the Gasols and Ibaka in the gold medal game vs. Spain.

Blake, Bynum, Bosh, Lamarcus, Garnett and Duncan are the candidates, plus Anthony Davis.

Worth the read.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

He's got the following as locks - LeBron, Wade, Durant, Kobe, Rose, Paul, Love, Carmelo and Tyson Chandler. He adds Westbrook as a near lock. That makes 10. Then he debates the merits of the final two spots for big men, centered around the argument that we have to be able to stop the Gasols and Ibaka in the gold medal game vs. Spain.

Blake, Bynum, Bosh, Lamarcus, Garnett and Duncan are the candidates, plus Anthony Davis.

Worth the read.
    It'd be cool to see Davis out there, I like the kid, but if he's worried about the Gasols and Ibaka, how on God's green earth is Anthony Davis going to defend any of them in the post? You can't play weak side defense in a man to man to help yourself... But he'd be about as useful as Laettner was on the Dream Team, neat to see a college aged kid out there though.

Obvsiously there's a little bias here towards KG, but I would certainly not complain if he were to join in. I think that Garnett and Bosh would be situation K would probably be happiest with, even though KG hasn't been with this crew.

I think Bosh is a lock. He played well in the last olympics and has a good international game. Colangelo and K know what they're doing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    It'd be cool to see Davis out there, I like the kid, but if he's worried about the Gasols and Ibaka, how on God's green earth is Anthony Davis going to defend any of them in the post? You can't play weak side defense in a man to man to help yourself... But he'd be about as useful as Laettner was on the Dream Team, neat to see a college aged kid out there though.

Obvsiously there's a little bias here towards KG, but I would certainly not complain if he were to join in. I think that Garnett and Bosh would be situation K would probably be happiest with, even though KG hasn't been with this crew.

I think Bosh is a lock. He played well in the last olympics and has a good international game. Colangelo and K know what they're doing though.
    You and I could combine for more rebounds than Bosh. It's like he's allergic to rebounding.

Bosh is #61 in rebounds per 48 minutes, behind Jason Maxiell and Channing Frye. We have enough scorers on this team, so we should get someone who can crash the boards and play D. In other words, probably not Bosh. I'd rather have Kendrick Perkins, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    I seen Lebron play the 4 and guard the 4 plenty this season.
    Bosh, Haslem, and Anthony have averaged a combined 76 mpg at PF and C for the Heat this year (taking into account that Bosh has missed 5 games). In addition, guys like Pittman, Gladness, Howard, and Turiaf have combined for another 14 mpg. That leaves less than 6 mpg for other folks to play PF, and those minutes are split between James and Battier. So I stand by my comment that James rarely plays SF, but that he can certainly do it if needed.

Worth the read.

Of those guys, only Griffin and Bosh are among the current players that will be considered. I think they make it. Bosh has the experience being on the team, and Griffin is pretty much going to dunk his way on the team.

The other guys:
    Aldridge is injured, not going to make it back in time.
    Duncan and Garnett are old. Doubt they would consider playing or even candidates.
    Davis, could be invite to be a part of the Select team that practices against the National team. Doubt he is considered for the Olympic roster.
    Bynum, could use the summers getting his knees rest. Would be a good replacement for Howard, maybe Kobe could talk him into it, if asked.

Dont forget Deron Williams. He is a free agent this summer, but its going to be hard to leave him off the roster. I wouldnt be surprised to see 4 PGs on the Olympic team.

BTW: Simmons is a tool. He's just a tabloid writer, looking to stir things up in sports.

Of those guys, only Griffin and Bosh are among the current players that will be considered. I think they make it. Bosh has the experience being on the team, and Griffin is pretty much going to dunk his way on the team.

The other guys:
    Aldridge is injured, not going to make it back in time.
    Duncan and Garnett are old. Doubt they would consider playing or even candidates.
    Davis, could be invite to be a part of the Select team that practices against the National team. Doubt he is considered for the Olympic roster.
    Bynum, could use the summers getting his knees rest. Would be a good replacement for Howard, maybe Kobe could talk him into it, if asked.

Dont forget Deron Williams. He is a free agent this summer, but its going to be hard to leave him off the roster. I wouldnt be surprised to see 4 PGs on the Olympic team.

BTW: Simmons is a tool. He's just a tabloid writer, looking to stir things up in sports.
    If you take Deron Williams, you probably leave off Westbrook. I'd rather have Westbrook now to groom him for 2016 when Wade and Paul and Kobe are gone.

I dont think Bynum makes the team. As Simmons points out in what you point as essentially a tabloid, Bynum says he does not want to play, that he'd rather rest his knees. And I doubt Coach K would take someone with serious character flaws.

So if you want another true center, who is an American and enjoys rebounding, you have the olds guys - Garnett, Duncan - or the young guys - Monroe, Davis.

Finally, Blake and Bosh may or may not make the team. I dont think either guy fills a niche that is not already filled. So I disagree with you. I think both have a 50% or less chance of going to London.

If you take Deron Williams, you probably leave off Westbrook. I'd rather have Westbrook now to groom him for 2016 when Wade and Paul and Kobe are gone.

I dont think Bynum makes the team. As Simmons points out in what you point as essentially a tabloid, Bynum says he does not want to play, that he'd rather rest his knees. And I doubt Coach K would take someone with serious character flaws.

So if you want another true center, who is an American and enjoys rebounding, you have the olds guys - Garnett, Duncan - or the young guys - Monroe, Davis.

Finally, Blake and Bosh may or may not make the team. I dont think either guy fills a niche that is not already filled. So I disagree with you. I think both have a 50% or less chance of going to London.
    I'm glad someone disagrees with me.

Chandler, Bosh at Center
    Love, Griffin at PF

Of those 4, Griffin is the least likely to be on the team, since he has no experience with Team USA. But his All Star status and Star Power will give me a edge for the Monroe and Davis.

What makes you think Bosh may or not make the team? His game is perfect for international play. He has been on 2 Olympic teams already, and playing with James and Wade gives him an edge over any 2nd year player or soon to be rookie.

Its going to be hard to keep Westbrook off the team. His game is very similar to Wade, and they way K used him in the World Championship was similar too.

I rather have Deron Williams, a PG that can shoot the 3, than another guy that's skill is similar to Wade. But like I said, Williams is a free agent this summer, that might play into his decision to be on the team.

But lets say Williams does want to be on the team, what makes you think its either Westbrook or Williams? or are you just going off of what Simmons said, because I didnt care to click on his link.

I'm glad someone disagrees with me.

Chandler, Bosh at Center
    Love, Griffin at PF

Of those 4, Griffin is the least likely to be on the team, since he has no experience with Team USA. But his All Star status and Star Power will give me a edge for the Monroe and Davis.

What makes you think Bosh may or not make the team? His game is perfect for international play. He has been on 2 Olympic teams already, and playing with James and Wade gives him an edge over any 2nd year player or soon to be rookie.

Its going to be hard to keep Westbrook off the team. His game is very similar to Wade, and they way K used him in the World Championship was similar too.

I rather have Deron Williams, a PG that can shoot the 3, than another guy that's skill is similar to Wade. But like I said, Williams is a free agent this summer, that might play into his decision to be on the team.

But lets say Williams does want to be on the team, what makes you think its either Westbrook or Williams? or are you just going off of what Simmons said, because I didnt care to click on his link.
    Bosh brings shooting to the table, but cannot really slide up and play the 5. He's too soft. I just think his rebounding is too weak. I'd rather have a versatile 4-5 who can shoot and rebound, like Love.

Griffin can rebound, but cannot hit a jumper. He's the opposite of Bosh in that regard. So I dont think either guy is a great fit. I'd rather have Monroe than either of them.

I would not put Davis on team. He's too skinny. I'd go with Garnett or Duncan over him. Or even Camby. But I do like Greg Monroe the best. He's versatile, a solid passer, can crash the boards and block shots. Monroe is 17th in rebounds per 48, compared to Bosh at 61st.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I'd rather have Westbrook now to groom him for 2016 when Wade and Paul and Kobe are gone.
    I understand that Kobe and Wade would be highly doubtful for 2016, but Paul would still be young enough to compete, knees notwithstanding.

Not disagreeing, just pointing out that grooming Westbrook may not be critical until 2016, as he and Paul could both be on the squad.

Bosh brings shooting to the table, but cannot really slide up and play the 5. He's too soft. I just think his rebounding is too weak. I'd rather have a versatile 4-5 who can shoot and rebound, like Love.

Griffin can rebound, but cannot hit a jumper. He's the opposite of Bosh in that regard. So I dont think either guy is a great fit. I'd rather have Monroe than either of them.

I would not put Davis on team. He's too skinny. I'd go with Garnett or Duncan over him. Or even Camby. But I do like Greg Monroe the best. He's versatile, a solid passer, can crash the boards and block shots. Monroe is 17th in rebounds per 48, compared to Bosh at 61st.

Monroe isnt even on the list of candidates. He could be on the Select team.
    Garnett, Duncan, Camby arent even thinking about the Olympics.

You gonna have to accept that Bosh and Griffin both being on the Olympic team is pretty high, much higher than the 50% you give them. Because everyone you name isnt even in consideration, I dont understand what point your trying to make.