Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am sure someone will ask, so...

My totally unscientific, wild guess at the chances of every NBA team RIGHT NOW to win the 2018 NBA title:

Warriors 45%
    Cavs 20%
    Spurs 13%
    Celtics 11%
    Rockets, Clips, and OKC 6% (2% each)
    Heat, Bucks, and Wiz 4% (1.33% each)
    Rest of the NBA combined 1% (this 1% is mostly Toronto and Utah)

-Jason "so, how wildly insane am I?" Evans
    Not a bad guess -- as the rosters now stand -- but there will be some significant movement in the offseason and that will change the odds.

Paul George could be key player. But there is also talk of Chris Paul to the Spurs ... how big would that be? I also heard a commentator talking about how Close Chris Paul and Lebron are. Would trading Kyrie for Paul make the Cavs better? But adding Paul to the Spurs makes San Antonio a lot better.

And here's one -- I was listening to Cornbread Maxwell (who broadcasts for the Celtics) talk about the draft. He thinks Boston should package the No. 1 pick and next year's No. 1 from Brooklyn that the Celtics own (and is likely to be a top 4 pick) and trade both picks to the Pelicans for Anthony Davis? I can't imagine the Pelicans would make that deal -- Davis is under contract through 2020-21. Still, that's an interesting package and could lure a top power player from a bad team (one that's not under contract as long).

Guys, what are some free agent 3 and D players that the Cavs should be looking to add next year in order to compete with the Warriors?

If I were to start a list, this is how I would rank them:

1. Jonathon Simmons (San Antonio Spurs)
    2. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (Detroit Pistons)
    3. Joe Ingles (Utah Jazz)
    4. Tony Allen (Memphis Grizzlies)
    5. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (Charlotte Hornets)
    6. Thabo Sefolosha (Atlanta Hawks)
    7. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute (Los Angeles Clippers)
    8. PJ Tucker (Phoenix Suns)

Anyone else I'm forgetting? Do any of you have a good understanding of the Cavs salary cap situation and who they can afford?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Guys, what are some free agent 3 and D players that the Cavs should be looking to add next year in order to compete with the Warriors?

Anyone else I'm forgetting? Do any of you have a good understanding of the Cavs salary cap situation and who they can afford?
    Cap situation looks terrible for the Cavs

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post

Umm, to put it mildly, #2-7 aren't "3 and D" guys. Number 4-7 are just "D" guys. Ingles is mainly just a "3" guy. Caldwell-Pope is neither a "3" nor a "D" guy.

As for cap space, the Cavs have none. It is veteran's minimum guys and one midlevel exception. Most of the guys on this list are out of their price range unless those guys decide to take well below market value.
    Last edited by CDu; 06-16-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Umm, to put it mildly, #2-7 aren't "3 and D" guys. Number 4-7 are just "D" guys. Ingles is mainly just a "3" guy. Caldwell-Pope is neither a "3" nor a "D" guy.

As for cap space, the Cavs have none. It is veteran's minimum guys and one midlevel exception. Most of the guys on this list are out of their price range unless those guys decide to take well below market value.
    The Cavs really are hurt by over-paying JR Smith on a long-term deal; Shumpert too, but to a lesser degree.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/CLE.html

They could maybe package Love or Thompson with one of those guys, and get something nice in return. But they should have shown more discipline and given those guys 1-2 year deals.

Their best hope would be to get a Milsap type guy with the mid-level exception, right? Someone hunting a ring...

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Cavs really are hurt by over-paying JR Smith on a long-term deal; Shumpert too, but to a lesser degree.

They could maybe package Love or Thompson with one of those guys, and get something nice in return. But they should have shown more discipline and given those guys 1-2 year deals.

Their best hope would be to get a Milsap type guy with the mid-level exception, right? Someone hunting a ring...
    What is a Milsap type guy? Who besides Paul Milsap is a Milsap type? I am being serious. I have no idea what this means. An All-Star who is the best player on a playoff team? I don't think that will be an easy get for Cleveland.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

Smith's contract isn't actually a problem considering what he provides (great defense, willing off-ball player). Similar for Shumpert. They actually need more guys like Smith.

They aren't getting Paul Millsap at the mid-level exception. And anyway, they already have a better version of Millsap in Love.

Smith's contract isn't actually a problem considering what he provides (great defense, willing off-ball player). Similar for Shumpert. They actually need more guys like Smith.

They aren't getting Paul Millsap at the mid-level exception. And anyway, they already have a better version of Millsap in Love.
    JR Smith plays great defense? I'm not sure about that. I'm not saying he's a bad defender but I wouldn't call him a great defender. Smith and Thompson are the two who stick out in my mind as being over paid.

Smith is one who completely disappeared in multiple games in the finals both this year and last year. Has also been known as a head case. I'm not sure the Cavs wouldn't be better off without him.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    JR Smith plays great defense? I'm not sure about that. I'm not saying he's a bad defender but I wouldn't call him a great defender. Smith and Thompson are the two who stick out in my mind as being over paid.

Smith is one who completely disappeared in multiple games in the finals both this year and last year. Has also been known as a head case. I'm not sure the Cavs wouldn't be better off without him.
    Good luck finding a guy who can hit 18-31 from 3pt range over a 5-game stretch like Smith did in the Finals at that price on the free agent market. Smith had two quiet games (in which he didn't shoot) and three fantastic games. He was absolutely not the problem for Cleveland, and they would definitely be worse without him.

Good luck finding a guy who can hit 18-31 from 3pt range over a 5-game stretch like Smith did in the Finals at that price on the free agent market. Smith had two quiet games (in which he didn't shoot) and three fantastic games. He was absolutely not the problem for Cleveland, and they would definitely be worse without him.
    He had a good couple of games to end but is he really with 14 million? Tristan Thompson 17 million? I'm pretty sure the Cavs would love to have a do over on those 2 contracts as these will hamper them from improving this summer.

8.6 points a game fetches 14 million a year?????

He had a good couple of games to end but is he really with 14 million? Tristan Thompson 17 million? I'm pretty sure the Cavs would love to have a do over on those 2 contracts as these will hamper them from improving this summer.

8.6 points a game fetches 14 million a year?????
    You are seriously underselling his play here. He didn't just have a good couple of games. He played unbelievably well in 3 of the 5 games. And yes, a double-figure scorer (averaged 12ppg in the Finals) for a title contender gets that kind of money on the free agent market in this era of the salary cap. Remember: his scoring average suffered this season because of a hand injury during the year.

Especially true for a team that is already over the cap and trying to compete for a title. It was either Smith or a veteran minimum guy.

Now, in a couple of years? Yeah, he might not be worth the back end of his contract in his mid-30s. But he is definitely worth it in the early years of the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    If I were Lebron, I would be on the phone with Paul George today. "Force Indiana to trade you here, and if we can't beat the Warriors next season, I will follow you to L.A. after the season." George should force Indiana's hand by saying there's no way he will re-sign with them, and so they should get what they can get. (And if the consolation prize is Kevin Love, that's a great trade for the Pacers.)
    So, apparently this DID happen over the weekend, the bolded part at least. George told Indiana he won't re-sign with them.

And now the Pacers have reached out to Cleveland for a trade.

Not too shabby, folks who had suggested George-to-Cleveland in a trade. It might very well happen.

So, apparently this DID happen over the weekend, the bolded part at least. George told Indiana he won't re-sign with them.

And now the Pacers have reached out to Cleveland for a trade.

Not too shabby, folks who had suggested George-to-Cleveland in a trade. It might very well happen.
    Question is does Cleveland want to give valuable assets for what most likely looks like a one year rental.

Question is does Cleveland want to give valuable assets for what most likely looks like a one year rental.
    Yes, within reason. The Cavs are only guaranteed one more year of Lebron, and it behooves them to maximize their chances of winning in that year.

George's declaration that he prefers the Lakers will also lower his trade value. No team, not just the Cavs, wants to give away the farm for a rental. The Cavs apparently also believe they have a chance of convincing him to stay, according to that ESPN link.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Would trading Kyrie for Paul make the Cavs better?
    I certainly would not trade 25 year old Kyrie Irving for 32 year old Chris Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I certainly would not trade 25 year old Kyrie Irving for 32 year old Chris Paul.
    Also Paul is expected to take the option to end his contract early this summer and resign for roughly twice what Kyrie is making. For a Cavs team that has negative cap space it simply won't be an option.

Yes, within reason. The Cavs are only guaranteed one more year of Lebron, and it behooves them to maximize their chances of winning in that year.

George's declaration that he prefers the Lakers will also lower his trade value. No team, not just the Cavs, wants to give away the farm for a rental. The Cavs apparently also believe they have a chance of convincing him to stay, according to that ESPN link.
    Also, if the Cavs lose George, they lose a bunch of salary and can't sign someone with a similar salary. They can resign George to a big contract but can't sign a free agent to an equal contract. Another thing that people haven't talked about is not only where George would rather play but where would he rather live. George is from the LA area and obviously LA is a lot more appealing than living in Cleveland.

I came on to this thread looking for new information about the NBA Finals and see trade talks being discussed. Can we keep this thread to NBA Finals discussion? Just kidding. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I came on to this thread looking for new information about the NBA Finals and see trade talks being discussed. Can we keep this thread to NBA Finals discussion? Just kidding. 😀
    I have a feeling the Warriors are going to take care of business and win in 5.

Another thing that people haven't talked about is not only where George would rather play but where would he rather live. George is from the LA area and obviously LA is a lot more appealing than living in Cleveland.
    Is location really a big deal to George? He just spent 7 years in Indianapolis which is only about 300 miles from Cleveland.