Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Difference Between Duke and Carolina Players

As the game was winding down and Duke had the game in hand, CBS cut to a shot of Carolina players laughing on the bench. Does a single person here think that Duke players would be cracking jokes on the bench in the waning moments of a loss to Carolina at home? I can't imagine such a situation. To me, this is the difference between Coach K and Roy Will, the Duke program and the Carolina program.

I noticed. I then imagined then running up and down stairs today. Once Roy sees that, they're doomed.

Under the microscope

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    As the game was winding down and Duke had the game in hand, CBS cut to a shot of Carolina players laughing on the bench. Does a single person here think that Duke players would be cracking jokes on the bench in the waning moments of a loss to Carolina at home? I can't imagine such a situation. To me, this is the difference between Coach K and Roy Will, the Duke program and the Carolina program.
    I'm not sure that I agree with that idea. Some times people laugh when they really feel like crying or when they feel awkward in a situation. Did you see Kansas players do the same thing while Roy was there?

I'm happy with the outcome of the game and enjoyed seeing two high quality programs play a great game without the histrionics becoming SOP today. What a refreshing contrast to many in the ACC and elsewhere!

I saw that last night, and it reminded me of McBob last year cussing in the towel on the bench during the Carolina game. People talk about his attitude problem all the time, but I would rather a player cuss into a towel than laugh and giggle in that situation. At least it showed that he cared.

I noticed last night how tuned in our guys were to Coach K. In the 2nd half, after Henderson blocked the shot that was called for goaltending, I think it went to a TV timeout. As the feed was breaking away (Raycom), it showed the Duke players on the bench watching Coach K. It was cool because you could see how intense their concentration was on Coach. Am I overanalyzing? Very possible. But, it was still great to see how focused our guys were.

Actually, I think the difference in the Duke and Carolina players was in the demeanor of each team earlier in the game. Carolina came out really, really sky high emotionally. We took their best shot early, punched them in the mouth and took the fire out of their belly. It looked like UNC was relying more on motivation as a motivator than composure under pressure. (Which solves the question we had on a thread the past few days, I think). I hope that when we play in CIS we're still as composed, because the emotional pressure will be on our guys then.

The difference is 11 points, at their place. (Woo Hoo!)

Sean May was also quite smiley near the end of the game, behind the bench.

I couldn't believe that when I saw it. I started laughing when I saw that because I knew when Roy sees that it's over. I think it was Will Graves and another player.

The best part about it is that they tried hard to conceal their smiles, which they probably did from the people immediately around them. But the camera never lies...

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    Because he knew dinner was waiting for him.

2 Players

Forget the two players laughing, I want know which players (I think it was 2) were dancing at the start of the game, durring and after introductions. You're getting ready to play your rival, shouldn't you be saving some energy instead of doing....THAT? I think it was dancing. It was like a combination of Swan Lake and a hopscotch game on a spiraling board.

THAT is the difference in Duke and UNC...class and a sense of dignity.

Having fun in the game is also a difference. Just check out the smile on Kyle - the kid loves to play.

worthy opponents

You've got to give them this much: in the course of a high-stakes game that resulted in a disappointing loss for them they played clean and never stooped to thuggery. That's more than you can say for VT, GT, or FSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer's Daddy View Post
    Probably thinking of his next box of donuts.

I do give them credit there... Carolina is generally a very classy program. Laughing during an important loss shows an attitude problem, but it is so far and away better than playing dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by wumhenry View Post
    You've got to give them this much: in the course of a high-stakes game that resulted in a disappointing loss for them they played clean and never stooped to thuggery. That's more than you can say for VT, GT, or FSU.
    I agree completely. Thuggery would have ruined a great game.

Roy talked about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Forget the two players laughing, I want know which players (I think it was 2) were dancing at the start of the game, durring and after introductions. You're getting ready to play your rival, shouldn't you be saving some energy instead of doing....THAT? I think it was dancing. It was like a combination of Swan Lake and a hopscotch game on a spiraling board.

THAT is the difference in Duke and UNC...class and a sense of dignity.
    on PTI the other day. He said that Green (I think it was Green) has been doing that for quite a while before every game when they play a certain song at Carolina before the tip. He does it to blow off some excess energy and have some fun before the game. It's just his pregame ritual. Roy said he had no problem with it, so...

Difference between Duke and Carolina players? Well, obviously, the Duke players are better dancers.

I think they're the best dancers in the land...and they're getting ready for a dance all the way to San Antonio.

Aside from the giggle, did anyone notice that Lawson barely seemed to be supporting his team. You'd almost think he wanted his team to lose without him. He put on a face like he was sad he couldn't play, but I didn't see him get that excited whenever UNC seemed like they might mount a comeback either. I'm not saying UNC had much to cheer about anyway last night though.

Making broad assumptions about a player or team's character based on a handful of facial expressions is pretty stupid.