Thread: Chris Collins

Chris Collins

I am becoming more and more of a Chris Collins fan. Just hearing his radio interviews or halftime interviews gives me the feeling this guy is ready to be a big time coach. Its obviously in his blood and he is being mentored by the greatest. Coach K seems to give him a lot of say in what they do and he has been great. Do you think he is next in line at Duke? I know that may be awhile to wait and other programs will come calling but I hope he sticks around

Funny you mention this...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    I am becoming more and more of a Chris Collins fan. Just hearing his radio interviews or halftime interviews gives me the feeling this guy is ready to be a big time coach. Its obviously in his blood and he is being mentored by the greatest. Coach K seems to give him a lot of say in what they do and he has been great. Do you think he is next in line at Duke? I know that may be awhile to wait and other programs will come calling but I hope he sticks around
    Right after his halftime interview vs Florida St. I looked to my girlfriend and said "He is ready to do this!" My dad and I started debating who would be heir to the K throne. I said the day that Dawkins left that he was leaving to get the head coaching experience that would be necessary to run this program. Im still not so sure that isnt the case BUT Chris Collins just has this swagger about him thats screams Duke basketball. It seems like he truly admires Coach for the person and leader that he is and he really really buys into his philosophy. Not only that but we can thank him for all the big recruits that have signed with us in recent years. Lets all pray that Coach still has 10 or more years left in him (I know thats a stretch but come on its Coach!) to teach Coach Collins to the best of his ability. After that time, if we don't lose Coach Collins to a head job somewhere, I think he very well could be the front runner for the captains chair. We haven't had Coach Dawkins around for a few years so some of us might not remember that love that we have for, this may be why I put Collins in the lead right now. IF Dawkins was back around the program then I would feel completely stuck on who deserves the job. Right now, I say Coach Collins. Before Coach Dawkins left, there would have been no question about it...Coach Dawkins rules the roost. Im curious to hear everyone elses thoughts on this topic. Great idea for a post!

pretty funny because I was just pondering this the other day. I kinda think with the coaching genes in his family as well and just seeing his overall passion on the sidelines and hearing him speak (btw at times he sounds just like K if its possible with some of the things he says), I think he may be the next head coach at Duke. I thought the same thing when Johnnie Dawkins went to Standford too, that he was going to brush up his skills and get experience but age may play a factor in this too...how old is Johnny forgive me for asking. Just cause I know this doesn't apply to K because he's still very in touch with the youth today but I think the younger Chris Collins, along with Wojo and Nate and Carawell would be a great staff for recruiting (as proven already). Add in a protege Paulus or Redick on teh bench to coach and you got a staff haha.

Or better yet a Jon Scheyer! I have a feeling he'd be a great coach as well

Talking Where Will Chris Go?

It sounds to me like K will be actively campaigning to get Collins a head coaching job for next year. He has already said Chris is ready. It should be an easy sell, given his basketball lineage (K and Doug), his public exposure via the media, and his role with Team USA.

And it will need to be a good job with sufficient resources ($$$), a platform (a well known school with a fan base), and a chance to succeed. On the last point, remember when Amaker said "No" to Northwestern? The word that leaked out was that NU didn't treat his doctor wife's career interests with sufficient respect. (Isn't she now head of student health at Hah-vahd?) I think it was more that Northwestern had been the graveyard for basketball coaches for at least a generation.

sagegrouse
    'And BTW, K doesn't want him in the ACC'

don't be surprised if chris is the heir to the mantle...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

As long as Nate James stays

As long as Nate "The Bad A??" James stays on the staff, I am ok with Chris Collins taking the reigns. Coach Nate James has been a rock star in the recruiting circles and the young kids seem to connect with him very fast and easily.
    I fear that if either Coach Wojo or Coach Chirs Collins leave for other head coaching positions, they might Nate James with them.

I would say if any of K's assistants want the job, they would do well to try and be head coaches some place else for a while. Being the main honcho is enormously different from being an assistant; you have to handle the media, recruiting, etc. It would be good for them to prove that they are up to it elsewhere before becoming the head coach at Duke. That may be one reason why Johnny D (finally) became a head coach recently.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, if coach chris wants to be a head coach then he has to get a better tailor. dude looks like he's wearing a zoot suit out there, c'mon.

Dou you like Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers? Then you like Coach Collins recruiting prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    I would say if any of K's assistants want the job, they would do well to try and be head coaches some place else for a while. Being the main honcho is enormously different from being an assistant; you have to handle the media, recruiting, etc. It would be good for them to prove that they are up to it elsewhere before becoming the head coach at Duke. That may be one reason why Johnny D (finally) became a head coach recently.
    He already does both of these (bold).

think about this...chris talks to the media FOR K on most game things....to me, it's obvious that chris will be the annointed one...

watch him on the sidelines, watch (and listen) to him with the media, read about his recruiting...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I don't know exactly but Dawkins graduated in 1986. If he was 22 then he would be or become 47 this year.

If Coach Collins were to get the head coaching job, don't be surprised to his Dad on the staff with him.

This conversation is about 7 years too early though.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    If Coach Collins were to get the head coaching job, don't be surprised to his Dad on the staff with him.

This conversation is about 7 years too early though.
    hopefully 10...

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    i've said it before and i'll say it again, if coach chris wants to be a head coach then he has to get a better tailor. dude looks like he's wearing a zoot suit out there, c'mon.
    Oh for heaven's sake! Just because the man is in perfect shape, works out everyday with the team and is healthy as a horse, you're going to pick on his loose fitting suits?!
    But you did make me laugh

Unless something goes wrong at Stanford, I am confident that Dawkins will get the first offer if he is still interested.
    http://blogsarchive.newsobserver.com...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I've felt this way about Chris for a long time now...that certain je ne sais quoi that coaches have to have.

No other former player has this IMO. I love Johnny, Tommy, Coach Brey, and the rest...
    Chris just has that "coaching" intangible that none of the others of K's legacy has.

The heir apparent

It's funny how the identity of the heir apparent has changed over time. Remember when it was Quin?

I just don't want to deal with this concept, since Collins is essentially the only Duke player that for some reason I "hated" while he was at Duke -its hard to express why except all my friends felt the same way. There was an arrogance about him (okay, good guards need that), but also an aloofness that didn't mesh well. But obviously he can recruit, and I can tolerate and respect him now. But I have a hard time envisioning him as our head coach. Maybe I will be converted in the future. Time will tell. But let's hope this decision is MANY years in the future!.