Tennessee v. Gonzaga

Seven minutes left and UT up one. It says here this one ends in controversy.

Game is now at 70 all. Under two to play.

Gonzaga now up, 72 to 71.

1:08 to play.

If Tennessee loses, the SEC might risk having no one in the top 25 come next week. (That is if Arkansas loses this weekend to Mississippi State.)

Well, I was right, but only because neither Bilas, nor apparently the official he spoke to before overtime, fully understands the goaltending/basket interference rule. If anyone was watching, no violation should have been called on the UT player touching the net while the shot was above the rim.

There was almost something really interesting in the final instant of regulation, as not one but two officials ruled on whether the final shot beat the buzzer. It would have been reviewed and fixed had the shot gone, but there would have been a huge mess if one guy is waving his arms and the other is holding up the three-point signal as the arena explodes.

SEC is a Mid Major this year.
    Hard to get back in the Top 25 when no one in your conference is in the Top 25 when conference play begins.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternDB View Post
    SEC is a Mid Major this year.
    Hard to get back in the Top 25 when no one in your conference is in the Top 25 when conference play begins.
    Someone will get back in. The voters don't care who you beat when filling out the bottom half of the top-25. They just look at record and name. As the big boys start to beat each other up, there'll be a team or two from the SEC who climbs back in.

Of course, the Top-25 is a largely pointless exercise in college bball. And I agree that the SEC is a mid-major quality conference this year.

Arkansas will be in the next Top 25, and could stay there for a long while.

The Razorbacks are the best team in the conference. I honestly have no qualms in saying that now. I've been higher on the Hogs than most, as I have watched them quite a few times this season, but I really feel John Pelphrey's run and shoot, pressing style is a tremendous fit in Fayetteville. He has the athletes and play makers to pull it off, especially Courtney Forston, the best play making frosh in the country, as well as dunking extraordinaire Michael Washington. He might just be one of the top athletic forwards in the nation. Incredibly underrated.

If everyone comes back, Arkansas is a top ten team, next year.

Just wait, we'll make fun of the sec all year, ha ha no one's really that good, then manage to lose to an sec team in the sweet 16.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Just wait, we'll make fun of the sec all year, ha ha no one's really that good, then manage to lose to an sec team in the sweet 16.
    Aside from Arkansas or maybe Tennessee, there is no SEC team that will have a shot at the Sweet 16. Yes, Billy Clyde, I am talking to you!

The SEC is the #6 rated conference in both KenPom and Sagarin. But, significantly, the SEC is closer in those rankings to the #7 conference (Mountain West) than it is to the #5 rated Pac Ten.

The SEC is really, really bad this year.

--Jason "as an aside, the ACC is rated well ahead of the Big East in both the Sagarin and the KenPom... despite the announcers all being in love with the BEast" Evans