Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I mean, obviously that was a total and complete domination, aided by the fact that we were a terrible rebounding team at the guard position who often had our bigs out of position due to Marshall's penetration. You've outrebounded other very good teams by 10-15 before, and also been outrebounded by a couple of them.

But if you're going to rely on doubling up teams on the boards to the tune of 25+ to stay even from here out, I think you're going to be in trouble.
    Do you think Stillman White's penetration caused Ohio to get demolished on the boards? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Injuries have crippled this team, but they're still walking...

Stilman will shoot more against, It looks like now, KS. he'll have to.

Roy's game plan in this one was inside.
    Game's not over!!

Stillman White. chuckle...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Wheat - UNC's offense was horrendous. White didn't get ball to shooters in rhythm, he didn't feed the post, he couldn't make a shot, or penetrate. He had one nice defensive play and that was pretty much it. UNC is living on borrowed time...
    The offense was not smooth at all, but they scored, (when not turning it over).

But it was the first game with a new point, with a kid who was 10th at best on the depth chart preseason.

We'll take it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Game's not over!!

Stillman White. chuckle...
    I may have spoke too soon, march madness!

I may have spoke too soon, march madness!
    Well NC State found a way to totally lose all of their cool at the end of the game. Scores on inbound passes? A 3 pointer at the top of the key with plenty of time left? Howell not passing at the end? A dejected and deflated Leslie? State finished on fumes.

Taylor however is about to show you who Stillman White really is...

13 seconds left and a timeout in your pocket, you attack the rim, not run a play for a three pointer, KU could not foul if they went straight to the rim

Wheat has gone into troll mode. Quit feeding him.

Injuries have crippled this team, but they're still walking...

Stilman will shoot more against, It looks like now, KS. he'll have to.

Roy's game plan in this one was inside.
    Then why on earth did Harrison Barnes shoot 13+ jump shots, plus the potential game winner? To say Roy has a "game plan" is a bit of a reach. It was so bad that the usually kind TV commentators were questioning why Zeller didn't get MORE touches... so if it was Roy's plan the team sure didn't seem to want carry it out.

Now, as far as Stillman White goes... he did OK. Nothing worth getting all excited about IMO, or claim that he is some sort of miracle recruiting find. To say he "stepped up" is not how I would describe his performance, but maybe that is just a matter of semantics. I'd say he did what he needed to do about as well has he could do it and good for him. I would be proud of him if he were my son, but I think some are over selling what he did last night.

If UNC plays another game like they did last night, then they are headed home. They were VERY fortunate that their draw in this game was a very moderate Ohio team.

Did anyone listen to the idiot announcers at the end of the UNC-Ohio game? One of them commented that Kendall Marshall's absence affected the heels more than he expected. That comment revealed to me that CBS had placed a broadcast team in St. Louis that is not at all familiar with UNC as a team. Their basic premise was, hey, they've still got Zeller, Henson, and Barnes. They don't need a good point guard. Guess they never watched the team with LDII running the show. I'm a huge Duke fan, but I'm also a basketball fan, and I can respect Marshall and his value to their offense.

From what I saw of the game, I think Stilman White did an okay job. He was sweating like Gary Williams, so he was definitely putting forth some effort. IMO Marshall has good court vision, and I'm not sure White is there. Not everyone has that particular gift. Given the options, I think UNC did okay, and I think they went with their best alternative. If Barnes had any role in running the offense, no one else would've seen the ball for the entire game and they probably would've lost. Granted, I didn't watch the entire game last night, but Barnes stunk it up in the part I saw. The game was close, so Barnes tried to be The Man and almost lost the game for them. They're lucky they were playing Ohio. Lots of other teams would've taken them to the woodshed.

I think the Kansas game is going to be tough without Marshall. The Heels could very well be going home if Marshall is still out. Looking through my Duke blue glasses, that's okay with me. We'll be hearing lots of "coulda, shoulda, woulda" from UNC fans if that happens.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed that Tyler Zeller looks a bit like Dean Smith? A younger, skinnier Dean Smith, but Dean Smith nonetheless. It's a bit eerie.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    As an aside, has anyone else noticed that Tyler Zeller looks a bit like Dean Smith? A younger, skinnier Dean Smith, but Dean Smith nonetheless. It's a bit eerie.
    It is obvious that you are a "noseist" and should be treated appropriately.

UNC

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    Did anyone listen to the idiot announcers at the end of the UNC-Ohio game? One of them commented that Kendall Marshall's absence affected the heels more than he expected. That comment revealed to me that CBS had placed a broadcast team in St. Louis that is not at all familiar with UNC as a team. Their basic premise was, hey, they've still got Zeller, Henson, and Barnes. They don't need a good point guard. Guess they never watched the team with LDII running the show. I'm a huge Duke fan, but I'm also a basketball fan, and I can respect Marshall and his value to their offense.
    Those were Clark Kellogg, who never misses an opportunity to put in a comment, and my main man, Verne Lundquist. I also thought UNC would roll to an easy win. I expected lots of "mojo," as Roy said, and that Barnes or Bullock or somebody would be a real playmaker and get the ball to three first-round draft picks. Boy, I was wrong!

Weird stat: UNC is forced to go with an unheralded, little-used freshman as a point guard. The team plays very sloppily and records 24 turnovers. The untested rookie, however, has ZERO. What the heck is that about?

Idle thought: Will Barnes fall out of the first round of the NBA draft? I mean, he's a great shooter, but has few other chops as an NBA SF or SG.

Idle thought #2: If Kansas can control Zeller, Henson and McAdoo, as it controlled Howell, UNC is gonna have a really tough afternoon.

sage

UNC is in deep trouble against Kansas if Marshall can't go. It will either take an amazing game from Carolina and a stellar coaching job from Roy, or a really bad night for Kansas.

Withey is good enough to keep Zeller under control, although I'm sure Zeller will get his. Henson's going to have his hands full with Robinson's strength and athleticism. Barnes could really be the man for Carolina, but his problem seems to be that he plays the game as if he's constantly thinking about what the write-up is going to say on ESPN.com, and Roy ought to be concerned that Barnes is going to try too hard to play so that the story line is all about how he IS the man. But, all that being said, Zeller, Henson, and Barnes are all legitimate NBA talents, and they would be a load for Kansas IF they had someone who can run the offense and put them in good positions to score. And that's the key - all of those guys NEED someone to get them the ball in good position to score.

Which brings us to the matchup of White versus Taylor. White seems like a game competitor, but there's just a vast ocean of talent separating him from Taylor. Will Taylor be able to harrass White into turnovers, keep him from getting Carolina into anything resembling an efficient half-court offense, and drive at will on White? My guess is that the answers are yes, yes, and yes. If Taylor has any killer instinct, and I think he does, he's got to be licking his chops right about now.

From my understanding of Marshall's injury, he shouldn't go, no matter what Carolina's needs are. But I think Carolina has a very slim chance of winning the game without him.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    UNC is in deep trouble against Kansas if Marshall can't go. It will either take an amazing game from Carolina and a stellar coaching job from Roy, or a really bad night for Kansas.

Withey is good enough to keep Zeller under control, although I'm sure Zeller will get his. Henson's going to have his hands full with Robinson's strength and athleticism. Barnes could really be the man for Carolina, but his problem seems to be that he plays the game as if he's constantly thinking about what the write-up is going to say on ESPN.com, and Roy ought to be concerned that Barnes is going to try too hard to play so that the story line is all about how he IS the man. But, all that being said, Zeller, Henson, and Barnes are all legitimate NBA talents, and they would be a load for Kansas IF they had someone who can run the offense and put them in good positions to score. And that's the key - all of those guys NEED someone to get them the ball in good position to score.

Which brings us to the matchup of White versus Taylor. White seems like a game competitor, but there's just a vast ocean of talent separating him from Taylor. Will Taylor be able to harrass White into turnovers, keep him from getting Carolina into anything resembling an efficient half-court offense, and drive at will on White? My guess is that the answers are yes, yes, and yes. If Taylor has any killer instinct, and I think he does, he's got to be licking his chops right about now.

From my understanding of Marshall's injury, he shouldn't go, no matter what Carolina's needs are. But I think Carolina has a very slim chance of winning the game without him.
    Well, I don't disagree with anything you said, but it sounds like you are assuming that the KM that would take the floor tomorrow is the one that took the floor against Creighton. I continue to say that even if KM dresses out, he isn't going to be effective. I don't think he dresses out to be truthfull.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Well, I don't disagree with anything you said, but it sounds like you are assuming that the KM that would take the floor tomorrow is the one that took the floor against Creighton. I continue to say that even if KM dresses out, he isn't going to be effective. I don't think he dresses out to be truthfull.
    I'd be surprised and, frankly, disappointed at the Carolina medical and coaching staff if he did.

Stilman White

I said this in the Midwest bracket thread, but I see all the Stilman talk going on over here...

I think Stilman's explicit instructions were: "Make the safe pass, don't look for your shot and play good D." I thought he fulfilled that assignment pretty well. The problem with this is if the post is not wide open, he isn't going to make the pass, and they aren't going to get the ball, like in the second half. I thought White played great d, you could tell that Cooper could not believe he couldn't get past him easily. Stilman White reminds me a lot of Tyler Thornton. I think they are very comparable players.

As for the UNC staff deserving credit for finding White late in the game? I mean, c'mon. I couldn't sell my wallet for $5 if it had a $20 in it, but if I was the coach at UNC, I think I could perhaps persuade a kid from Wilmington to attend the state university on a basketball scholarship.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Wheat has gone into troll mode. Quit feeding him.
    Troll mode? I'm just telling it how I see it. (Except the part about being way handsome, that was a joke for those who missed the attempt at humor, or just lack the humor gene, or those who simply don't agree

I can, and will, defend everything I've said.

UNC won the game in the post, just as Roy planned. The team got away from that plan some, mainly Barnes, but the post play won the day.

Stilman played just fine. A a fan I am proud of his play and effort.

UNC lacks dribble penetrators in the half court from everywhere but the pg, and now it's even tough there because Stilman is physically overmatched. Dribble penetration has been an issue all year. But they make up for it with a focus in the post, and generally good movement off the ball. With the 3rd string pg playing 32 minutes in the sweet sixteen, can't say I'm surprised there was not great movement and offensive flow on this game. ohio's quickness was a factor as well, give them some credit.

Sure they miss KM. no question. But it looks to me that some of you guys are just bumming that Stilman didn't get overwhelmed and UNC lose the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Those were Clark Kellogg, who never misses an opportunity to put in a comment, and my main man, Verne Lundquist. I also thought UNC would roll to an easy win. I expected lots of "mojo," as Roy said, and that Barnes or Bullock or somebody would be a real playmaker and get the ball to three first-round draft picks. Boy, I was wrong!

Weird stat: UNC is forced to go with an unheralded, little-used freshman as a point guard. The team plays very sloppily and records 24 turnovers. The untested rookie, however, has ZERO. What the heck is that about?

Idle thought: Will Barnes fall out of the first round of the NBA draft? I mean, he's a great shooter, but has few other chops as an NBA SF or SG.

Idle thought #2: If Kansas can control Zeller, Henson and McAdoo, as it controlled Howell, UNC is gonna have a really tough afternoon.

sage
    No, it was Marv and Steve Kerr. Their analysis was spot on the entire game. They weren't sufficiently familiar with the teams though.

Ol' Roy will be wearing a Kansas sticker soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It is obvious that you are a "noseist" and should be treated appropriately.
    I refuse to treat any "noseist" appropriately. Can't happen.

As for UNC and Kansas, I like Kansas in this one because their bigs can play with Carolina's, and Kansas appears to have a large edge in the backcourt without KM (or at least a healthy KM). Carolina looks vulnerable to guard penetration and does not get nearly as many run out baskets without KM. I think the another big edge Kansas has is in the coaching department. Self >> Ol' Roy. Ol' Roy's adjustment to the Ohio runs last night was to yell more often and louder at his players. Nice work coach. Credit to his guys for hitting some big threes down the stretch. UNC was unusually effective from 3 late in the second half and bailed Roy out.

Troll mode? I'm just telling it how I see it. (Except the part about being way handsome, that was a joke for those who missed the attempt at humor, or just lack the humor gene, or those who simply don't agree

I can, and will, defend everything I've said.

UNC won the game in the post, just as Roy planned. The team got away from that plan some, mainly Barnes, but the post play won the day.

Stilman played just fine. A a fan I am proud of his play and effort.

UNC lacks dribble penetrators in the half court from everywhere but the pg, and now it's even tough there because Stilman is physically overmatched. Dribble penetration has been an issue all year. But they make up for it with a focus in the post, and generally good movement off the ball. With the 3rd string pg playing 32 minutes in the sweet sixteen, can't say I'm surprised there was not great movement and offensive flow on this game. ohio's quickness was a factor as well, give them some credit.

Sure they miss KM. no question. But it looks to me that some of you guys are just bumming that Stilman didn't get overwhelmed and UNC lose the game.
    Not me, but to tell you the truth I was a little surprised that UNC struggled as much as they did.

Well, it's true most of us are bumming that UNC didn't lose the game. But the thing about Stilman White is not whether he gets overwhelmed or not. I don't think Larry Drew got overwhelmed last season. What I do think is, despite their obvious talent, nobody on UNC except Zeller can consistently function at a high level offensively on their own. They all need a top flight PG to get them the ball where and when they want it. White really can't do this, so he can play the best game of his life and still the team still struggles to beat a mid-major.