Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC: 1/8-1/14

Just a week and a half into conference play and 9 teams already have at least two losses, with only 4 teams above .500 - Virginia, Clemson, Notre Dame (all 3-0), and Miami (2-1). It's fair to say the conference has yet to sort itself out very much. Lots of good contests in the coming week that may give further guidance as to how the league will stratify.

Monday is a football day

Tuesday
    [3]Virginia (3-0) (-12) hosts [50]Syracuse (1-2) (8:00, ACCNE)
    [12]North Carolina (1-2) (-12) hosts [73]Boston College (2-2) (8:00, ACCNE)

Wednesday
    [180]Pittsburgh (0-3) (+15) hosts [6]Duke (1-2) (7:00, ESPN2)
    [75]Wake Forest (1-2) (-1) hosts [49]Virginia Tech (1-2) (7:00, ACCNE)
    [114]Georgia Tech (1-1) (+7) hosts [14]Notre Dame (3-0) (7:00, ACCNE)
    [24]Florida State (1-2) (-6) hosts [40]Louisville (1-1) (9:00, ACCNE)

Thursday
    [78]NC State (1-2) (+4) hosts [15]Clemson (3-0) (9:00, ESPN)

Friday is dark

Saturday
    [6]Duke (1-2) (-15) hosts [75]Wake Forest (1-2) (12:00, ACCNE)
    [73]Boston College (-18) hosts [293]Dartmouth (1:00, ACCNE)
    [24]Florida State (1-2) (-7) hosts [50]Syracuse (1-2) (2:00, ACCNE)
    [180]Pittsburgh (0-3) (-1) hosts [114]Georgia Tech (1-1) (2:00, ACCNE)
    [15]Clemson (3-0) (-4) hosts [25]Miami (2-1) (3:00, ESPNU)
    [40]Louisville (1-1) (-5) hosts [49]Virginia Tech (1-2) (4:00, ESPN2)
    [14]Notre Dame (3-0) (-3) hosts [12]North Carolina (1-2) (6:00, ESPN)

Sunday
    [3]Virginia (3-0) (-15) hosts [78]NC State (1-2) (6:00, ESPNU)

ACC Non-Conference Record: 150-38
    ACC v. Power 6: 29-21
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    [78]NC State (1-2) (+4) hosts [15]Clemson (3-0) (9:00, ESPN)
    NC State has played TWO games since we played Clemson on 12/30.

Two of our first four ACC games are against Clemson. I understand the difficulty in scheduling, but is this really the best that could be done?

This happens again later in the season when NC State plays the Cheats on Jan 27th and again Feb 10th (again with only two games in between).

/smh

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    NC State has played TWO games since we played Clemson on 12/30.

Two of our first four ACC games are against Clemson. I understand the difficulty in scheduling, but is this really the best that could be done?

This happens again later in the season when NC State plays the Cheats on Jan 27th and again Feb 10th (again with only two games in between).

/smh
    I hear you - Duke's next 5 games are Pitt-Wake-Miami-Pitt-Wake
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

That is simply awful.

By goodness I hope we are above-.500 in conference after that stretch of games.

Tuesday
    [3]Virginia (3-0) (-12) hosts [50]Syracuse (1-2) (8:00, ACCNE)
    [12]Cheaters (1-2) (-12) hosts [73]Boston College (2-2) (8:00, ACCNE)
    Just put our embarrassing loss to BC in perspective, the cheating bastages from cheater hill just beat BC by 30 and the NC State loss was worse than the BC loss. Clemson will probably roll State by 30 Thursday night.

#frustrated # uke efense

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Just put our embarrassing loss to BC in perspective, the cheating bastages from cheater hill just beat BC by 30 and the NC State loss was worse than the BC loss. Clemson will probably roll State by 30 Thursday night.

#frustrated # uke efense
    This kind of "perspective" based on a supposed transitive property can be deceptive. For example, BC lost by only 1 point at UVA. But UNC lost at UVA by 12 points. Now BC loses at UNC by 30 points. How can those results be reconciled by any "perspective" other than one that acknowledges the persistent unpredictability of college basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    This kind of "perspective" based on a supposed transitive property can be deceptive. For example, BC lost by only 1 point at UVA. But UNC lost at UVA by 12 points. Now BC loses at UNC by 30 points. How can those results be reconciled by any "perspective" other than one that acknowledges the persistent unpredictability of college basketball?
    There is no transitive property in sports. Matchups and schemes are important. And they're kids, so emotion/motivation/composure does as well.

All scheduling set up for TV rating in FEB....so how can you have a “true” regular season champion? What you have are teams playing for seeding in ACC tourney....TV controls college schedules at the DI level.

#frustrated # uke efense
    Duke lost on the road
    Cheaters won at home.
    State lost on the road.

I don't know if State will beat Clemson, but I do know it will be a much more competitive game in the ESARBCPNC Arena.

FWIW,

After Tuesday night's games, ACC home teams are 20-4 in league play.

Another example, in which none of the games were close.

North Carolina 86 Ohio State 72 on neutral court (New Orleans)
    Michigan State 63 North Carolina 45 at Michigan State
    Ohio State 80 Michigan State 64 at Ohio State

Home court matters a lot this year so far as Oly points out above (20-4 home record in the ACC today)

I agree about the fact that the transitive property doesn't apply but when a team loses games by 30 then turns around and beats your team that's not good...especially when a team like ours that has so much talent and championship aspirations. I never thought we'd go undefeated. A few losses to quality teams along they way was expected.

I agree about the fact that the transitive property doesn't apply but when a team loses games by 30 then turns around and beats your team that's not good...especially when a team like ours that has so much talent and championship aspirations. I never thought we'd go undefeated. A few losses to quality teams along they way was expected.
    Even our best teams have laid a few eggs over the course of a season though.

I'm as pissed off as anyone about losing to State - but their previous loss to ND is neither here nor there. The team we faced was completely different from the one that played ND.

NC State just landed a big transfer for next season, freshman Missouri PG, Blake Harris, is transferring to NC State immediately and will be eligible to play in Jan 2019 and have 3 1/2 years of eligibility left.

Harris was the #55 recruit in the nation last season.

NC State just landed a big transfer for next season, freshman Missouri PG, Blake Harris, is transferring to NC State immediately and will be eligible to play in Jan 2019 and have 3 1/2 years of eligibility left.

Good get for State for sure. But I'm not sure that the bolded part is correct. I think midseason transfers effectively lose a year of eligibility, as you can't split one year of play over two seasons. Each season you play counts as a season of eligibility. So I think that if Harris plays next Spring, he'll play as a sophomore. If he chooses to sit out the entire year, he'll be able to play as a redshirt sophomore for the entire 2019-20 season.

This is why mid-year transfers are such a bad idea. You have to REALLY want out to be willing to give up that year of eligibility (or half a year at best).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    After Tuesday night's games, ACC home teams are 20-4 in league play.
    I forget who it was, but someone around here used to sometimes post ACC standings based on road wins minus home losses as a way of seeing who is really leading the league.

Current standings:
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Good get for State for sure. But I'm not sure that the bolded part is correct. I think midseason transfers effectively lose a year of eligibility, as you can't split one year of play over two seasons. Each season you play counts as a season of eligibility. So I think that if Harris plays next Spring, he'll play as a sophomore. If he chooses to sit out the entire year, he'll be able to play as a redshirt sophomore for the entire 2019-20 season.

This is why mid-year transfers are such a bad idea. You have to REALLY want out to be willing to give up that year of eligibility (or half a year at best).
    Interesting. What does that say about Jordan Tucker and his experience at Duke?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think midseason transfers effectively lose a year of eligibility, as you can't split one year of play over two seasons.
    I never understood why players do mid-year transfers. I guess they're not playing anyways so they're effectively losing a semester sitting on the bench and they figure they might as well "lose" two semesters. And they can still practice with their new team, so they're still getting four year's worth of practice time. But for someone like Tucker who has some catching up to do it, seems like he could have benefited from using the spring semester to continue practicing with the Duke team, taking entire year to sit out and practice with his new team, then still have three years of eligibility remaining.

A couple notes on this...

1) Not to pick on recruiting rankings, which can be silly (see Jordan Tucker being higher than Alex O'Connell) but Harris was generally not regarded as high as the #55 that 247 put on him. ESPN had him #99, Rivals had him #136, VerbalCommits had him #86. He did not make RSCI's list of the top 100 recruits in the land. Still, he's a nice player.

2) Harris is a fickle kid. He committed to Washington but then flipped to Missouri when Lorenzo Romar was fired at UDubb. I guess he was following Michael Porter, who did the same thing (though Harris' father was not hired to be an assistant coach at Mizzu). Now, after less than half a season in Missouri, he's moving to NC State.

3) It is worth noting that unlike other transfers we hear about this time of year, Harris was getting playing time for the Tigers. He was playing an average of 14 minutes per game and was firmly in Cuonzo Martin's rotation. He actually leads Mizzu in assists with 3.1 per game. He has struggled with his shot though, yet to hit a 3 pointer on the season (7 attempts). I am sorta surprised he picked NC State as it sure looks like Braxton Beverly is going to get a lot of time at PG over the next few years, but maybe Harris just wanted to be close to his home town of Chapel Hill. I'm betting "homesick" was a major factor in this decision.

-Jason "nice pick up for Keats... not a kid who figures to alter the shape of the program, but a solid building block who will contribute" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?