Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm going to go the other route about the second half and note that Duke held off NC State's best offensive half of the season. State just shot really, really well in the 2nd half. Those weren't a bunch of uncontested layups (though they did have some run-outs for easy layups)...State made contested shots. As one poster noted, Howell was draining drop-back 15 footers that are not normally a reliable shot for him. Sometimes, despite our guys actually playing defense, the other team gets hot. It happens, and it happened tonight. Our guys managed to make enough shots and enough stops to hold on for a double digit win and prevent State from ever really having a realistic chance to win.

All credit to State for not giving up, for fighting back and for really lighting it up for the final 20 minutes. And credit to our guys for maintaining composure and getting the critical scores, and stops, when they needed to.

Not buying the "tale of two halves" argument. State actually brought it in the second half. They shot their brains out and settled in on D. Howell's jumpers are something you kinda half to live with if your Mason with no real back-up. I will agree that we played more conservatively, but I don't think we played much worse. State is a good team. You're just not gonna shut them out for 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I am so tired of this argument. Barely scraping by is not something to celebrate. I'd like to think that the talent we have on this team far exceeds having to play hot potato with each other for the final 15 minutes in order to secure a victory over an average N.C. State team, which has now lost five of its last seven games. This is the exact type of play that will usher you to the nearest exit in the NCAA Tournament.

Why exactly we felt that going the Northern Illinois route in the second half was the way to seal the deal tonight is beyond me.
    I really cannot follow this argument. Who are the teams that are so much better that a double-digit win for us against a probable tournament team indicates severe trouble? A Florida team that got smashed against Arkansas? An Indiana team that lost to an Illinois team that has played decidedly blah in Big Ten play? Kansas who lost to TCU?

I'm not defending the defense in the second half, which was not good, but if our issue right now is figuring out how to hold 20+ point leads...I'll live with us learning how to do it.

Lots of good

The offense was good until toward the end where we had four turnovers and made the game closer than it needed to be. Yes, some of the shots weren't going in but that can happen when guys get tired.

As others have mentioned, the defense was poor in the half, giving up a lot of open shots and Howell in particular was deadly. On the flip side of that, Amile can through with some really good offensive rebounds on Seth misses to keep us alive. I wonder if Curry, Rasheed, Quinn, Mason and Tyler are our best finishers. My only question would be Tyler who didn't add anything offensively and he is not a primary ball handler type.

What, we don't storm the court when we beat State??!

BTW, someone needs to tell the ACC-Network guys that their mikes are still on and the telecast still going out after the game. For ten minutes have been listening to their chatter, thinking that it is a private conversation... Ha! One is complaining about having to "Get farmed out again" and do a Conference USA game next week... They're looking at the stat sheet and one says "Look at this...how many foul shots did they shoot? .... Incredible." Then another (un-miked) voice comes in, presumably a State guy, and is heard in the background complaining about the fifth foul call on Howell. To their credit one of the announcers says, "Yeah he caught him with a glancing blow to the chin...(unitelligible response) ...NO, it doesn't matter. They still have to call it..." And the other (State) guy keeps arguing with them that "It really SHOULDN'T have been called, regardless of the technicality..." One of the TV announcers points out that Referee X (can't recall the name) was standing their "right beside the two of then, like this..." (sounds like he goes into a squatting stance maybe) "and HE doesn't call it... (the call) comes from BEHIND Howell..." Another voice then says "Unbelievable."

After a few seconds one TV guys says, "So, is Coach K gonna come back out (and do a) interview?" And the other responds, snickering, "Yeah, right!"

Funny to hear their real opinions of the refs and Duke...
    ACCN needs to run a much tighter ship though.
    Last edited by -bdbd; 02-07-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Did anyone else hear the "how's your grandma" chant?

Poor form crazies.

Hey, did I hear we won tonight?

Beat a good NC State team by 98-85?

1) Great first half, disappointing 2nd half especially defensively. But Mason owned Leslie, Seth and Quinn were hot long enough so that game was never really in doubt

2) We got sloppy on offense in the 2nd half but stall ball wasn't the issue. I was actually hoping for stall ball earlier as the clock was our friend and our defense wasn't...

3) Our shots not falling in the 2nd half looked a little like fatigue to me - not only were we 2 men short, but State was hammering us every play, called or uncalled. That takes a toll

But let me reiterate - Mason OWNED Leslie. THAT was an impressive performance.

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    I really cannot follow this argument. Who are the teams that are so much better that a double-digit win for us against a probable tournament team indicates severe trouble? A Florida team that got smashed against Arkansas? An Indiana team that lost to an Illinois team that has played decidedly blah in Big Ten play? Kansas who lost to TCU?

I'm not defending the defense in the second half, which was not good, but if our issue right now is figuring out how to hold 20+ point leads...I'll live with us learning how to do it.
    Another good point. No team we see in late March will be as bad defensively as NC State but find me the teams who are better offensively. Kenpom has them as the 7th best adjusted offense (1 behind Duke). Teams better than Duke are Creighton, Zaga, Florida, Indiana, and Michigan. So if Duke sees them, I think it'll be a good tournament.

And no team can match NC States front court (except maybe Miami) and that is without Kelly and them without Brown. But NC State is a good team and I'm glad Duke won't be near them come tourney time b/c they will more than likely be underseeded.

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerb View Post

Poor form crazies.
    So tired of people making things up about Duke and calling it fact. Get a cite or go away.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    What, we don't storm the court when we beat State??!

BTW, someone needs to tell the ACC-Network guys that their mikes are still on and the telecast still going out after the game. For ten minutes have been listening to their chatter, thinking that it is a private conversation... Ha! One is complaining about having to "Get farmed out again" and do a Conference USA game next week... They're looking at the stat sheet and one says "Look at this...how many foul shots did they shoot? .... Incredible." Then another (un-miked) voice comes in, presumably a State guy, and is heard in the background complaining about the fifth foul call on Howell. To their credit one of the announcers says, "Yeah he caught him with a glancing blow to the chin...(unitelligible response) ...NO, it doesn't matter. They still have to call it..." And the other (State) guy keeps arguing with them that "It really SHOULDN'T have been called, regardless of the technicality..." One on the TV annoiuncers points out that Referee X (can't recall the name) was standing their "right beside the two of then, like this..." (sounds like he goes into a squatting stance maybe) "and HE doesn't call it... (the call) comes from BEHIND Howell..." Another voice then says "Unbelievable."

After a few seconds one says, "So is Coach K gonna come back out (and do a) interview?" And the other responds, snickering, "Yeah, right!"

Funny to hear their real opinions of the refs and Duke...
    ACCN needs to run a much tighter ship though.
    They were a joke. This whole ACCN thing has become a joke. Fans outside ACC can't get these games and somehow they think this will make the ACC more attractive. Then we get these announcers. I mentioned it twice in the in game thread and we complain about Elmore, Burke, etc. They at least try to be impartial. This whole game was about NC State and what they can do to get back in the game. They didn't even try to be impartial.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    And another positive - we get woeful BC on Saturday!
    Actually Sunday evening, which is probably just as well--it's still supposed to be snowing in Boston on Saturday and there may be as much as three feet. Actually possible even Sunday's game won't happen if the team doesn't get up there early tomorrow.

Poor form crazies.
    Agree with Duvall. Twitter went crazy but I didn't hear anything not that I was paying attention. Flame until a cite.

Poor form crazies.
    No. Did you hear that?

I heard "Bilbo Baggins" when he was shooting free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But why do you think the team will be satisfied with the second half effort. They played a great first half- almost flawless. They need to stay aggressive and do a better job on D but we have seen improvement. Still not there but a big improvement since the first State game
    True. The first half was beautiful basketball, it really was, and we did stay tough-minded until the end. It was almost so good a first half that there was nowhere to go but down, which naturally makes it easier to pinpoint areas where we might have been inefficient in the second stanza.

There were, however, definitely spots in the second half where we could have been more on the offensive with the ball in our hands. Maybe I accidentally hit the buttons on my remote and was watching a different game, but I don't believe I am crazy. We were totally out of our element on offense for much of the final 10 minutes, and I believe we partly did that to ourselves by slowing things up, losing our flow and ending up with difficult shots or turnovers in the final 10 seconds of the shot clock.

Don't get me wrong. I am elated we won. I just tend to be more misanthropic than most. Seth and Mason were brillian tonight, and Sheed set the tone early.

Joe Ovies says nobody on press row heard such a chant.

https://twitter.com/joeovies/status/299733714865356801

I guess somebody at NC State or UNC just started the rumor on twitter "Did you hear?!" and people run with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Joe Ovies says nobody on press row heard such a chant.

https://twitter.com/joeovies/status/299733714865356801

I guess somebody at NC State or UNC just started the rumor on twitter "Did you hear?!" and people run with it.
    Gotta love twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Hey, did I hear we won tonight?

Beat a good NC State team by 98-85?
    Definitely a big win.

But is N.C. State really a "good" team? They are 2-5 over their last seven games. That is the definition of average. They keep it up and the Wolves will be on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Gotta love twitter.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the twitter or the time to go through them and call people out. Either way proud of the Crazies and sorry I ever doubted you. I guess with recent occurrences though, nobody is above reproach sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Definitely a big win.

But is N.C. State really a "good" team? They are 2-5 over their last seven games. That is the definition of average. They keep it up and the Wolves will be on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday.
    Yes, they are a good team. They have let downs like most teams do. But they arguably just had the toughest 3 game stretch anyone will probably have. UVA at home is a different animal. Then #1 and #2 in RPI. And without their starting PG. Kenpom has them as the #7 offense in the country (Duke at 6).

And to tell if they are good, would you want to face them again in March/April? Because I certainly wouldn't.