Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cornell Head Coach becomes Duke's Defensive Coordinator

From the Binghamton Gannett outlet.

Jim Knowles has been the Cornell head coach for 6 years. His teams this year was 2-8; he has an overall record of 26-34./ He played there 1983-87 and loves the the University. He worked for Coach Cutcliffe at Ole Miss where he was the linebackers coach, so this is a reunion of sorts. It's a step down in authority, but a step up in salary.

Hard to leave the place you love -- just for the money. At least it's not just for the money -- he must really like working with Coach Cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

Jim Knowles has been the Cornell head coach for 6 years. His teams this year was 2-8; he has an overall record of 26-34./ He played there 1983-87 and loves the the University. He worked for Coach Cutcliffe at Ole Miss where he was the linebackers coach, so this is a reunion of sorts. It's a step down in authority, but a step up in salary.

Hard to leave the place you love -- just for the money. At least it's not just for the money -- he must really like working with Coach Cut.
    Sorry... I plead ignorance. Who was, and what happened to the current defensive coordinator? I thought Coach Cut has his "A" team with him already?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Sorry... I plead ignorance. Who was, and what happened to the current defensive coordinator? I thought Coach Cut has his "A" team with him already?
    He did have his 'A team,' but DC Mike MacIntyre became the HC at San Jose State about a week ago, opening the slot now being filled by Knowles

He did have his 'A team,' but DC Mike MacIntyre became the HC at San Jose State about a week ago, opening the slot now being filled by Knowles
    Thanks for the quick answer... I wish him well at San Jose State... hope he doesn't take any other of Coach Cut's "team" with him...

2-6 in his sixth year? Hope they lost every game 6-3 because of lack of offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    2-6 in his sixth year? Hope they lost every game 6-3 because of lack of offense.
    Some guys may have the knowledge to be great defensive coordinators, but they may not be cut out for the HC job *looks in Ted Roof's general direction*

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Some guys may have the knowledge to be great defensive coordinators, but they may not be cut out for the HC job *looks in Ted Roof's general direction*
    True, dat! Best of luck to Coach MacIntyre at SHS. Welcome to Coach Jim Knowles!

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    In fairness to Coach Roof, he did not have NEAR the resources that Coach Cut has available to him. I actually think TR might make someone a fine head coach one day if given the right situation. Duke significantly stepped up their support for the FB program for Coach Cut. Not saying that's a bad thing but...let's be fair.

Smile Ho-Say Can You See

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    True, dat! Best of luck to Coach MacIntyre at SHS.
    That's SHS, as in San Ho-say State! I'm with you.

sagegrouse

Knowles will have recruiting contacts in the Northeast which will be helpful for Duke in landing higher-rated talent for the Football program.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    That's SHS, as in San Ho-say State! I'm with you.

sagegrouse
    Er..., yeah!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    On Dukeupdate.com, they have an article linked (which I can't read due to being a paysite, duke.rivals.com) that Coach Hobby was to be named the D Coordinator, followed of course by the news that Duke has hired Knowles. I hope the outside hiring doesn't lead to any internal strife. I don't mind the Knowles hire, I like that we brought in someone from outside (even though the Cutcliffe connection is there), I just find it curious that someone posted that Hobby was to be the named replacement.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    On Dukeupdate.com, they have an article linked (which I can't read due to being a paysite, duke.rivals.com) that Coach Hobby was to be named the D Coordinator, followed of course by the news that Duke has hired Knowles. I hope the outside hiring doesn't lead to any internal strife. I don't mind the Knowles hire, I like that we brought in someone from outside (even though the Cutcliffe connection is there), I just find it curious that someone posted that Hobby was to be the named replacement.
    Well, technically Hobby was already the (co) D-Coordinator, he wasn't just a position coach. My suspicion is that Hobby is now D-Coordinator and Knowles will be co-DC. We'll find out whenever we get an official announcement. Additionally, at least some of these guys probably worked with Knowles during his year under Cut at Ole Miss, so its not like its some totally new, unknown guy coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, technically Hobby was already the (co) D-Coordinator, he wasn't just a position coach. My suspicion is that Hobby is now D-Coordinator and Knowles will be co-DC. We'll find out whenever we get an official announcement. Additionally, at least some of these guys probably worked with Knowles during his year under Cut at Ole Miss, so its not like its some totally new, unknown guy coming in.
    Not only do the remaining staff members already know Knowles, the arrival of someone else from their time at Ole Miss presents an opportunity for some internal shifts or adjustments which may promote even greater use of their strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    Knowles will have recruiting contacts in the Northeast which will be helpful for Duke in landing higher-rated talent for the Football program.
    I hate to break a bubble, but the Northeast is not a hotbead of football recruiting. Now if Coach Cut had hired someone from Florida, we would be talking about something special.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I hate to break a bubble, but the Northeast is not a hotbead of football recruiting. Now if Coach Cut had hired someone from Florida, we would be talking about something special.
    Some states up there get as serious about their HS football as Florida and Texas..Pennsylvania particularily stands out. If they didn't have pesky hockey diverting their attention spans, more of those bruisers would be putting on football pads instead of skates.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Some states up there get as serious about their HS football as Florida and Texas..Pennsylvania particularily stands out. If they didn't have pesky hockey diverting their attention spans, more of those bruisers would be putting on football pads instead of skates.
    You are absolutely correct about Pennsylvania and now to some extent New Jersey, but I could be mistaken but I don't think that the reference to Northeast was meant to be Pennsylvania...more New York, Mass., Conn., Rhode Island, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont...none of which are considered hotbeads for football recruiting.

Now, as you indicated correctly, if Duke were to field an ice hockey team, then we are on the right trail.

Thumbs up Northeast recruiting - yes

Well, I checked, and I count about a dozen players on the Colgate roster out of PA, and another 15 out of NJ. If you throw in the 15 or so from mostly upstate NY, then you have almost half the Colgate roster from what I believe to be solid football country. I do agree with NYC insomuch as New York metro, and most of New England isn't as nearly as intense on football as PA, NJ, & upstate NY. My wife is from Binghamton, near Colgate, and we used to live in Rochester, so I feel pretty good in saying there's a lot of intensity for HS FB once you get north of White Plains in NY state, especially along the Southern Tier (where Colgate is located) where they often play against PA HS teams. Certainly NJ (where PSU recruits well) and PA are first-rate recruiting areas.

Mostly, the "match" to me, in addition to him being a former Cut staffer, is that Colgate is a school not all that different than Duke in many ways, and he does bring at least some NE HS contacts, where the current staff was probably lacking a little.

Now let's just bring in 2-3 more 3-4-star recruits for 2010, and all will be good...

He was the head coach of Cornell not Colgate and Colgate a member of The Patriot League, like Cornell, a member of the Ivy League does not give out football scholorships..