Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I would like to see any DBR poster at one of Duke's year-round 6 a.m. practices, or at the team's pre-season two-a-days, or in video sessions, or in one-on-one's with Coach K. Show up at just one of their never-ending practices and tell them how they just don't have the "hunger" that the guys had back in "those days." Tell them that they just don't work hard enough. After all, we seem to know better than they do.

This year's struggles (if you can even call them "struggles") have nothing to do with hunger, but with personnel. We don't have a Christian Laettner, a Bobby Hurley, or a Grant Hill on this year's roster. Let alone just one player of that caliber (though you might be able to make a case fior Austin). We have a lop-sided roster of talented but ill-fitting pieces, who have no choice but to contend with each other's flaws. And yet, our boys have still done a damn fine job, easily exceeding any reasonable expectation. We are a 2-seed and a top-ten team with one of the best records in the country (and against one of the toughest schedules in all of the NCAA), and somehow people still feel entitled to question our players' hunger.

Yikes. Happy you guys aren't my boss.
    Well said. I agree with you. Some people never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    You are so right...and the proof is right here on these boards.....just read the comments....75% of the people commenting on here are scared to death....look at how many times you see the word HOPE on this board...." i hope this happens and i hope that doesn't happen ".....back in those days, the only place fear existed was on the other bench....in fact, i used to say that Duke players back then should have come out on the floor with tee shirts that said..." NOTHING your mother has taught you will help you now"......LOL !!!.....For opposing teams, playing Duke meant only one thing....40 minutes of Hell.....regardless of who you were...everybody knew that Duke walked into the building to do one thing.... to slaughter you....and they were probably going to do it...Duke knew how to go in for the kill like nobody else...it was beyond brutal....if you think Duke wasn't intimidating back then, you are badly mistaken....just ask the Fab 5...or UNLV....or the guy that Lattener stomped...I LOVED IT !!!...a little bad intentions doesn't hurt a thing....it's time to get back to that.....and it can be done.....
    I agree with much of what you say in your various posts. However, I do have a rejoinder:

Jon Scheyer.

K said once that the only statistic that Scheyer cared about was W-L. That was so evidently true. That was one heck of a team and story, between Z's redemption, unconventional "win first" point guard, and on and on. And it was only a couple of years ago.

As great as that team was (and it was indeed great and a joy to watch) the documentary reminds us just how dangerous the NCAA Tournament single-loss format is.
    In some way, the format worked in our favor in 1991 as we beat UNLV, yet could we have beaten them in a best of 7 or even best of 3?
    And then in 1992, without Laettner's last shot of a perfect shooting day, we would have lost to a KY team that probably couldn't handle Duke in a longer series, but nearly won that day.

Not related, but sort of

Really enjoyed the documentary, especially the parts about Christian and Bobby butting heads. Interesting reason Christian gave... that Coach K gave Bobby the ball at his first practice and said this is Bobby's team...

If you guys want to read a funny book, get "Dont put me in Coach"... by Mark Titus. Has some language, but is a pretty funny read about his life at the end of the Ohio State bench for 4 years...
    He and Evan Turner had a rather "interesting" relationship as well, in the sense that they basically hated each other...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    As great as that team was (and it was indeed great and a joy to watch) the documentary reminds us just how dangerous the NCAA Tournament single-loss format is.
    In some way, the format worked in our favor in 1991 as we beat UNLV, yet could we have beaten them in a best of 7 or even best of 3?
    And then in 1992, without Laettner's last shot of a perfect shooting day, we would have lost to a KY team that probably couldn't handle Duke in a longer series, but nearly won that day.
    As you hint at, it all evens itself out. We probably would have won a championship in 1999, but maybe not in 1991. I love the tournament the way it is. Don't add any more games or any more teams!!!

here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.....when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out.......when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was.......WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!.......and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win......i don't know if the team would believe that today....as far as UNLV went....after Duke beat them , they were done for...Duke could have beaten them 10 times in a row....Duke leveled castle in the desert....after that game , UNLV was more scared of bobby hurley than they were of a rattlesnake...and hurley knew it too.....he would have loved to beat that ast again.......LOL !!!!!!!!!!!1
    Last edited by stixof96; 03-12-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    I agree with much of what you say in your various posts. However, I do have a rejoinder:

Jon Scheyer.

K said once that the only statistic that Scheyer cared about was W-L. That was so evidently true. That was one heck of a team and story, between Z's redemption, unconventional "win first" point guard, and on and on. And it was only a couple of years ago.
    i agree totally.....i loved Scheyer....he was Duke up one side and down the other....Zubek too....never quit...i loved singler......i love Tyler Thornton too....we just need their attitudes from all of the players ......and I just am not seeing it from some in the last 2 years...the last 2 years have lacked some of that in my opinion.......i blame it on the one and dones....i could be wrong, but, that is something we have never gotten involved with before now...and i don't think the experiment is working out for us....just my opinion....

here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.....when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out.......when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was.......WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!.......and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win......i don't know if the team would believe that today....as far as UNLV went....after Duke beat them , they were done for...Duke could have beaten them 10 times in a row....Duke dismembered entire castle in the desert....
    I certainly appreciate the win over Kentucky; I was actually at the game in Philadelphia and enjoy seeing and reading about it...well aware of the account of Coach K in the huddle.

As to the present day, we've seen some remarkable finishes from this group of players, from Maui to Chapel Hill being down by 10 with 2:30 left, to being down by 20 against the Wolfpack with 11+ minutes to go.
    These players too have demonstrated a remarkable will to win, and I'm certain their coach has communicated in a similar fashion to them.

In some ways, the comebacks this year have been more remarkable, because we don't have a Laettner, Hurley, or Hill. Let's give this team some credit.

I certainly appreciate the win over Kentucky; I was actually at the game in Philadelphia and enjoy seeing and reading about it...well aware of the account of Coach K in the huddle.

As to the present day, we've seen some remarkable finishes from this group of players, from Maui to Chapel Hill being down by 10 with 2:30 left, to being down by 20 against the Wolfpack with 11+ minutes to go.
    These players too have demonstrated a remarkable will to win, and I'm certain their coach has communicated in a similar fashion to them.

In some ways, the comebacks this year have been more remarkable, because we don't have a Laettner, Hurley, or Hill. Let's give this team some credit.
    Miles Plumlee just said....
    I am tired of seeing this team do just enough to win.

He ought to know.......if this team wants credit, they have the opportunity right now to earn a train load of it....either they will or they won't.....

i agree totally.....i loved Scheyer....he was Duke up one side and down the other....Zubek too....never quit...i loved singler......i love Tyler Thornton too....we just need their attitudes from all of the players ......and I just am not seeing it from some in the last 2 years...the last 2 years have lacked some of that in my opinion.......i blame it on the one and dones....i could be wrong, but, that is something we have never gotten involved with before now...and i don't think the experiment is working out for us....just my opinion....
    Dude, what is with your style of writing? What's with the ellipses? Can't you just separate your thoughts with a period? You make some decent points, but it's near impossible to read.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Dude, what is with your style of writing? What's with the ellipses? Can't you just separate your thoughts with a period? You make some decent points, but it's near impossible to read.
    just read it like i am talking to you......nothing to it.....i'm not a secretary and never had typing in my life....when i graduated from college there wasn't a single computer on the entire campus.....

I would like to see any DBR poster at one of Duke's year-round 6 a.m. practices, or at the team's pre-season two-a-days, or in video sessions, or in one-on-one's with Coach K. Show up at just one of their never-ending practices and tell them how they just don't have the "hunger" that the guys had back in "those days." Tell them that they just don't work hard enough. After all, we seem to know better than they do.

This year's struggles (if you can even call them "struggles") have nothing to do with hunger, but with personnel. We don't have a Christian Laettner, a Bobby Hurley, or a Grant Hill on this year's roster. Let alone just one player of that caliber (though you might be able to make a case fior Austin). We have a lop-sided roster of talented but ill-fitting pieces, who have no choice but to contend with each other's flaws. And yet, our boys have still done a damn fine job, easily exceeding any reasonable expectation. We are a 2-seed and a top-ten team with one of the best records in the country (and against one of the toughest schedules in all of the NCAA), and somehow people still feel entitled to question our players' hunger.

Yikes. Happy you guys aren't my boss.
    well, the good thing is this team now has the opportunity to take people like me and shut us up completely....all they have to do is play duke basketball and then they can look at people like me and say...." NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ??? "........and i hope they do just that....

as far as you working for me, you are no where near ready for the world i function in......you would get eaten alive....LOL !!!...in time maybe....

well, the good thing is this team now has the opportunity to take people like me and shut us up completely....all they have to do is play duke basketball and then they can look at people like me and say...." NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ??? "........and i hope they do just that....
    Yes, but where you and I disagree is that I believe they have already done this. Multiple times this season. Kansas in Maui, NC State in Cameron, UNC in the Dean Dome -- those were all astonishing, gritty performances. What did you have to say after those?

Yes, but where you and I disagree is that I believe they have already done this. Multiple times this season. Kansas in Maui, NC State in Cameron, UNC in the Dean Dome -- those were all astonishing, gritty performances. What did you have to say after those?
    oh no buddy......yesterday is gone....now teams are playing with the most on the line.....this is where we separate the men from the boys.......nobody has proven anything yet.......winners don't live in yesterday......losers do.....

I think the danger of the one-and-done format may lead to the fear-mongering that appears on this board quite often. When Duke doesn't play as well as we as fans (or the players and coaches) would hope, or, gasp, loses a game, many find all the reasons this team could not be successful in the tournament. In a one-and-done format, where Duke is normally a very high seed, there is a high statistical probability that Duke will not match its seed every year, in terms of how far the team advances. This is scary and though this team has had a fabulous season, by just about any possible measure, there have been a lot of close games, and if Duke advances far this year, they are unlikely to steamroll many (or any) teams. There is certainly a possibility of Duke getting beat in an early round, if a close game goes wrong. The flip-side of course is that this Duke team has won a lot of close games, beaten a lot of very good teams and can beat anyone on a given day. This is what makes the tournament so exciting/ nerve wracking.
    here is what you are missing about the kentucky game in 1992.....when kentucky scored with under 3 seconds left and took the lead, Coach K called a time out.......when the players got to the bench, the FIRST thing Coach K told them was.......WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!.......and everybody on that team believed it 100% because they had complete confidence in their will to win......i don't know if the team would believe that today....as far as UNLV went....after Duke beat them , they were done for...Duke could have beaten them 10 times in a row....Duke leveled castle in the desert....after that game , UNLV was more scared of bobby hurley than they were of a rattlesnake...and hurley knew it too.....he would have loved to beat that ast again.......LOL !!!!!!!!!!!1
    I bet the 1992 team would be jealous of the UNC and State comeback wins this Duke team had this year. I doubt very much this team lacks belief in their ability or will to win. I doubt very much that Duke team would have beaten the 1991 UNLV team 10 times in a row. I expect with a 1-0 lead, that series would still likely have gone 7-3 UNLV. I doubt very much that team was scared of Bobby Hurley, just as the Fab Five certainly weren't, even after he beat them a few times.

I agree this team deserves a lot of credit for an outstanding season and think you would have to rank Rivers ahead of Laettner, Hurley and Hill after their freshmen years, though their championships obviously occurred when they had more experience.

well, the good thing is this team now has the opportunity to take people like me and shut us up completely
    Is this something WE can do, or is the team our only hope for salvation?

Just....messin.......with.......you. .....dude.......

let me say this before i get labeled here as a duke basher or something like that.......i absolutely love duke basketball.......i believe this team has everything they need to not just do well in this tournament, but to win this tournament.......they have the best pure shooter in the game in dawkins, he just has to do his thing EVERY TIME he takes the court...no more excuses...they have the best playmaker in rivers he just has to function as a finger on the fist, not the whole fist......the plumlees are men enough to take on anyone......curry can be as good as he wants to be......he is loaded with talent.......thornton can neutralize any star they put in front of him......kelly is a lethal weapon all over the floor.....and they certainly have the coach to do it....it all boils down to one thing.......WILL.......do they have the will to do it ???.......every other ingriedent is perfectly in place.....duke is good enough to will themselves to victory against anybody they will play in this tournament...and they should expect nothing less of themselves.......just like you guys have said, they have beaten most of them already.......

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Is this something WE can do, or is the team our only hope for salvation?

Just....messin.......with.......you. .....dude.......
    LOL......i can take a joke, no problem....and that was funny......the team is your only salvation.....to me, winning is a religion.......not a past time.....

LOL......i can take a joke, no problem....and that was funny......the team is your only salvation.....to me, winning is a religion.......not a past time.....
    Thx, dude - you're a good sport!

I love all those players too, but to be honest, I doubt you were singing their praises like this in 2009.

What I've learned about Duke fans is this. When we win a championship, then everything is awesome and the players all had heart. When we don't win, the players lacked toughness and heart.

Same as any other fanbase.