View Poll Results: Who was the Man of the Match vs. NC State?

Voters
225. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jordan Davidson

5 2.22%
  • Gerald Henderson

2 0.89%
  • Taylor King

0 0%
  • David McClure

0 0%
  • DeMarcus Nelson

2 0.89%
  • Greg Paulus

210 93.33%
  • Jon Scheyer

0 0%
  • Kyle Singler

4 1.78%
  • Nolan Smith

1 0.44%
  • Lance Thomas

1 0.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Greg for sure

Paulus was phenomenal. I'll call it out when I don't think he plays well and I'll call it out when I do think he plays well. Tonight, he was truly the catalyst. The emerging M-O of this team is that "it's a different guy every night". One night it's Gerald and Demarcus, one night it's Singler, one night it's Greg, one night it's Scheyer, one night it's Nolan and Taylor. While I'd like to see us play better in the first half, I'm truly impressed with the way this young team has come back from two straight 9-point halftime deficits. That says something.

I'm so proud of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by grc5 View Post
    Jordan Davidson!
    how the hell was jordan davidson the man of the match?

I voted for that lousy point guard of ours - Greg Paulus! He had a great game.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Greg Paulus was the MOTM. Lance, Markie, and Kyle all had very good games but Greg had an all-around great game. The stats (22 pts, 6 ast, 0 TO and 3 stl) only begin to tell the story. He drew 2 five-second calls on his man in the first half and his defense was very good all night. His 3 threes at the start of the second half really turned the game around and set the tone for the rest of the half.

But my favorite play was at the 9:32 mark of the second half when he stole the post entry pass from McCauley to Hickson. The impressive thing was that McCauley was at the top of the key and Paulus's man (Gonzalez) was on the left wing. It was beautiful help defense.

although i voted for greg, lance had a great game. tons of energy, great press defense, and more confidence in his offensive game. add 5 rebounds against jj hickson...not too bad (considering hes had games with 0 rebounds)

I voted for Nolan Smith because no one else had and besides, if he didn't finally have a bad game Paulus wouldn't have gotten so much playing time

Great game tonight by Greg Paulus.

Gotta be Greg. I commented in the last poll that Markie would set a record for voting percentage. If it was a record, it only lasted one game.

Jumbo, get your damn head out of your plus/minus calculator and change your vote to Paulus. Please?

And what is this voting for team option nonsense? That's weak sauce.

anyone not voting for Jordan Davidson is some kind of communist

Does anyone else think that, before the game, Chris Collins takes out a die, and rolls it on the locker room floor?

"Ok guys... and the player who will score 20 points tonight is.... Paulus!"

Paulus is the sixth different Duke player to lead the team with a 20 point performance so far this season. Also, his effort lifts him above 10 ppg, meaning Duke has five players in double figures. Awesome.
    Last edited by mehmattski; 02-01-2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: hilarious typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Jumbo, get your damn head out of your plus/minus calculator and change your vote to Paulus. Please?

And what is this voting for team option nonsense? That's weak sauce.
    Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator." Quick quiz -- whose three-pointer started Duke's second-half run? Whose ability to pull bigs out of the paint opened up the driving lanes for Henderson and Nelson? Whose threat as a high screener helped set Paulus up for his threes.

Greg played a fabulous game, but I'm standing by my Singler pick.

Quote Originally Posted by mehmattski View Post
    Also, his effort lifts him above 10 ppg, meaning Duke has five players in double figures. Awesome.
    Oh, so close...
    Duke lists him at 9.9 ppg

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Didn't realize that voting for a guy who scored 19 points (including 12 in the second half) and who -- in a foul-plagued game -- managed to give us 19 minutes in the second half (with Thomas, McClure and Scheyer all on the bench in foul trouble) was purely a case of my "damn head" being in my "plus/minus calculator."
    Well, it's a good thing I'm around to help you realize these things then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Oh, so close...
    Duke lists him at 9.9 ppg
    He's scored 189 points in 19 games. One measly point! 9.94736 ppg! I blame it on the two free throws he missed in the second half...

Another thing that is important to look at is 6-0 assists/turnovers for Greg. Is this his second game with no TO's? I can definitely see cases for Singler and others though, and if it hadn't already been done I would've given my vote to Jordan Davidson, because c'mon, that was fun. All in all great game!

Also posted in the "Greg thread"

Greg Paulus played a GREAT game last night against NCSU: leadership, athleticism, clutch performance, point guard acuity both defensive and offensive, and superb shooting characterized his effort. I also have a visceral feeling that the "mussel" State attempted to exert -- bordering on dirty play -- only increased Gerg's resolve to demonstrate his mastery, where it really counted: on the court and on the scoreboard.

Our team's put a premium on attitude (rather than flash) and on teamwork (rather than high-visibility solo performance). By those standards, Greg Paulus was a TRUE BLUE DEVIL last night and I sincerely congratulate him.

Quote Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
    how the hell was jordan davidson the man of the match?
    Someone obviously turned the game off early...

Singler

I voted for Singler even though I think GP had the best game of his career. It was a tough call because I think both were instrumental in getting us back in the game and then pulling away. I loved how once we got the lead we didn't let up. It wasn't enough to just make a remarkable comeback so quickly. We had to bury them. Great teams do that.

The reason why I voted for Singler is because you are now seeing his varied skills and outstanding talent being raised to the level of Division I/ACC play and it's astounding what a smart, well-rounded player he is. You just have to watch him move without the ball and flash down the lane vertically with his hand raised to appreciate his basketball savvy. He hits threes, creates shots off the dribble, finishes at the basket, hits his free throws, runs the break, rebounds, passes, knows how to maintain spacing. And he's only a freshman. I think Singler went through a four or five game lull where he needed to adjust to ACC play. Now he has and I think tonight is going to be a stepping stone where he consistently plays at an All-ACC level.

But Paulus was also awesome tonight - a leader, fiery, clutch, made great decisions with the ball, engaged the crowd, brought the house down with the behind the back pass. The more I think about it if I could split my vote I would.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I voted for that lousy point guard of ours - Greg Paulus! He had a great game.
    I say after that sub par performance last night by Greg we should just cut him and bring in another walk on.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    I say after that sub par performance last night by Greg we should just cut him and bring in another walk on.
    Nah, just give the pt to Jordan! Give him 20 minutes against Carolina, I bet he drops 40.