Raison bars...long shot

This is a long shot I know, but does anyone remember the "raison bars" that the Duke cafeteria used to make? Maybe they still do? More important though; anyone got the recipe? I know that it was published some time ago in the Alum magazine, but I failed to copy it down.

I am craving them for some reason.
    Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by dukepsy1963 View Post
    This is a long shot I know, but does anyone remember the "raison bars" that the Duke cafeteria used to make? Maybe they still do?
    Raison or raisin? I have no knowledge of either so this is an honest question and not a spelling correction.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Raisin

Jeez...sorry.....egg on face

Spelling error... Raisin not raison...
    Sorry and thanks for spelling correction...!!

Surely someone must remember them...!!!

Memories

Spelling error... Raisin not raison...
    Sorry and thanks for spelling correction...!!

Surely someone must remember them...!!!
    I remember something like what you're describing. I think they were called Hermit Cookies. This cookie was featured in both East and West Campus dining halls.

There was a recipe for the cookies in the alumni magazine some years back. The recipe had to be scaled down from institutional proportions. I recall that one of the ingredients was something like malt powder, not easy to find.

When we were planning our class reunion for April 2007 we asked for Hermit Cookies, crumb cakes and some other favorites for our class party. No one in Alumni Affairs could come up with the recipe for Hermit Cookies, not even from the magazine's archives. We settled on some sort of compromise dessert.

Hermit cookies

Yes, they are the ones!!! Thanks for the name. Maybe someone saved the old Alumni mag. I hope so!!! I can taste them now!!! Thanks again!!

I've looked

Yes, they are the ones!!! Thanks for the name. Maybe someone saved the old Alumni mag. I hope so!!! I can taste them now!!! Thanks again!!
    I've checked my collection.. I was very disappointed that Alumni Affairs couldn't offer anything from their files. Another possibility might be the University Archives. I have to believe that Ted Minor or "Big Bill" Jones had files with such information.

Here's a webpage with various recipes for hermit cookies. Maybe one of these recipes is close?

I don't remember the raisin cookies at Duke. I do remember the luscious chocolate chip cookies that were served in The Pits on Fridays. YUM!

probably not the exact same thing . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Here's a webpage with various recipes for hermit cookies. Maybe one of these recipes is close?

I don't remember the raisin cookies at Duke. I do remember the luscious chocolate chip cookies that were served in The Pits on Fridays. YUM!
    I remember the chocolate chip cookies also - they were lunch on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I remember the chocolate chip cookies also - they were lunch on Friday.

OH I loved those cookies (lunch on Friday for me too) now that's a recipe I'd love to have!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Breaking News!!

I dropped a line to Duke archives and asked about the recipe. Tom Harkins got back to me and is taking a look at the recipe files for the dining rooms. He indicated that they have all the old recipes on file.
    If he sends them (I also mentioned the chocolate chip ones), I will definitely post them for everyone to enjoy!!!

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    j.

Recipe files

I dropped a line to Duke archives and asked about the recipe. Tom Harkins got back to me and is taking a look at the recipe files for the dining rooms. He indicated that they have all the old recipes on file.
    If he sends them (I also mentioned the chocolate chip ones), I will definitely post them for everyone to enjoy!!!

Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    j.
    This is wonderful news! I just knew Ted Minor and "Big Bill" Jones must have had files for such things!

I hope that the recipe for the crumb cakes is there, too. Crumb cakes were made in the East Union and GA. They were a prized treat which could make Sunday mornings very special. Don't know if they were served on West since I didn't have occasion to eat breakfast on West.

it seems to me . . .

that those recipes should be put into a book and marketed to alums?

While looking for something else in the Duke Archives online, I found one recipe for Hermit Cookies. We talked about this some time ago. These are the ingredients I remember being in the cookies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeyea...7605521846335/

When I saw the topic headline I thought someone was calling us raisins again
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    When I saw the topic headline I thought someone was calling us raisins again
    Short term memory!

Maybe the Hermit Cookies were gone by the time you got to Duke. These were every bit a good as the Toll House Cookies Ted Minah brought to Duke.