Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    probably depends on lots of things...but i'm guessing anywhere from 1-2 months
    I just hope that this will not be a repeat of the foot injury problems that Zoubs endured.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I just hope that this will not be a repeat of the foot injury problems that Zoubs endured.
    Probably the fifth metatarsal, which is imbedded not only in Marshall's foot but the history of the Duke basketball program. Here's a diagram and a brief discussion.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    well, zoubs injury problems ended with a national championship...

not that i wish the problems on marshall, but I think zoubs was happy with the ending
    1200. DDMF.

Google search on stress fracture of the metatarsal estimates 6-12 weeks to heal. So a highly speculative guess puts him back recovered by January. If this were the case I don't think he would see many minutes at this point, if any at all. He would be way behind everyone else in both team chemistry and conditioning. Such a scenario would really hold back Marshall's development going into next season. I can already hear the detractors of Duke big man coaching now. ...or he could just be out until November
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilOhioan View Post
    Duke undergrad here. I live on the same floor in the dorms as all the sophomores on the team. I ran into Marshall last night and he said it was a stress fracture that occured sometime before practice.
    He wasn't jumping into a pool was he?

hans.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Probably the fifth metatarsal, which is imbedded not only in Marshall's foot but the history of the Duke basketball program. Here's a diagram and a brief discussion.

sagegrouse
    I'm going to speak to the orthopedic surgeons at Duke and see if we can re-name it a Duke metatarsal fracture.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Google search on stress fracture of the metatarsal estimates 6-12 weeks to heal. So a highly speculative guess puts him back recovered by January. If this were the case I don't think he would see many minutes at this point, if any at all. He would be way behind everyone else in both team chemistry and conditioning. Such a scenario would really hold back Marshall's development going into next season. I can already hear the detractors of Duke big man coaching now. ...or he could just be out until November
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm going to speak to the orthopedic surgeons at Duke and see if we can re-name it a Duke metatarsal fracture.
    Sounds good. I dunno about 6-12 weeks -- Boozer only missed three back in 2001. Was it the same kind of injury?

sagegrouse

Sounds good. I dunno about 6-12 weeks -- Boozer only missed three back in 2001. Was it the same kind of injury?

sagegrouse
    I'm going to hope billy is still reading DBR as he is an orthopedic surgeon and would be far, far better qualified to discuss metatarsal stress fractures than this cardiologist who didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night or even over the weekend.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

sagegrouse

I think it was similar, but stress fractures can be a tough thing to guess/speculate healing time. Doctors and trainers I think like to error on the side of caution with stress fractures in the foot because they have a nasty habit of coming back and being bothersome. I remember Joakim Noah dealt with a similar injury a few years ago and he would play, be out a few weeks, play again, then be out again for a while. It's happened to a lit of NBA players. So with all that said, play it safe and sit him until December or January (if its a bad one). You don't want these things to linger.
    Last edited by ChicagoCrazy84; 10-14-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I think this could hurt our other bigs because Marshall won't be available to practice against.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think it will hurt our bigs because he is the biggest big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm simply wondering how being the "biggest big" could make a difference, in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waynne View Post
    Because practicing against our "biggest big" gives our other bigs experience in playing against big bigs?
    Now we're back to the beginning again. I think the practice argument is a decent one. I was responding to the 2nd quote above, which appeared to dismiss the practice argument in favor of the "biggest big" argument. If I misunderstood Indoor66's post, I apologize for perpetuating this portion of the discussion.

So... if it's January, would a "medical" hardship/red-shirt be available? Last year was a red-shirt? Seems like no practice/work on basketball till January will not give Marshall any time this year

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm going to hope billy is still reading DBR as he is an orthopedic surgeon and would be far, far better qualified to discuss metatarsal stress fractures than this cardiologist who didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night or even over the weekend.
    It depends which bone is affected and what the imaging shows. I'd imagine a MRI was obtained. Hopefully no crack is visible on x-ray - if it were a fifth metatarsal stress fracture with a crack visible on x-ray he'd likely have a screw placed surgically to stabilize the fracture and enable a more rapid recovery. If the diagnosis was made early, which I would expect it was, it may just be a matter of 6 or fewer weeks of rest (boot) and a custom orthotic to protect the foot. I bet he'll be out of the boot before 6 weeks and practicing based on no information other than that listed in the posts above.

IIRC, Boozer's was a third metatarsal fracture, and was a traumatic fracture rather than a stress fracture. I think most if not all of the other fractures were the fifth or small toe.

can we have a recap?

do we have any ACTUAL information other than

marshall was on crutches and said something about a stress fracture

and

K said it might be a while?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    can we have a recap?

do we have any ACTUAL information other than

marshall was on crutches and said something about a stress fracture

and

K said it might be a while?
    This is why it's a vigil.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    This is why it's a vigil.
    You mean it is about Aeneas?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    So... if it's January, would a "medical" hardship/red-shirt be available? Last year was a red-shirt? Seems like no practice/work on basketball till January will not give Marshall any time this year
    Marshall has already taken a non-injury redshirt. So, an injury redshirt is not an option.

Nor is it desirable. Marshall needs game experience for a likely starting spot next season.

A January return is a worst-case scenario. Boozer broke a foot prior to his freshman season, Mason broke a wrist prior to his freshman season and both returned in plenty of time.

The number of foot injuries involving Duke basketball players over the last 15 years or so seems strange...far in excess of coincidence, or natural occurrence, it would seem.

I'm certainly not an orthopod, nor a medical person, but it makes one go hmmm, what's up?

Speculation welcome; informed medical opinions even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The number of foot injuries involving Duke basketball players over the last 15 years or so seems strange...far in excess of coincidence, or natural occurrence, it would seem.

I'm certainly not an orthopod, nor a medical person, but it makes one go hmmm, what's up?

Obviously, it's because we have a guard coaching our big men.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

I have been talking about this for years, and there is too much circumstantial/coincidental (call it what you want) evidence for there not to be speculation about the floor at Cameron and/or the practice facility having something to do with this. I know this is a common basketball injury, especially for big men - but too many players at Duke go through this for it not to be questioned.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Marshall has already taken a non-injury redshirt. So, an injury redshirt is not an option.

Nor is it desirable. Marshall needs game experience for a likely starting spot next season.

A January return is a worst-case scenario. Boozer broke a foot prior to his freshman season, Mason broke a wrist prior to his freshman season and both returned in plenty of time.
    I was under the impression that one could petition the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility in injury cases. Is that incorrect?
    1200. DDMF.