Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Not to start raising expectations too high already...

...but to talk about high expectations, here are a few.

He will likely be a pre-season player of the year candidate.
    He will be pre-season ACC player of the year.
    He will be pre-season 1st team all american.
    He has nearly 1800 points so he should easily pass 2000 and get in the tippity top of Duke scorers.
    Given that he rebounds well, I'd expect him to end up with one of those stats like "only player to have 2000+ points, x number of rebounds, y number of assists".

God. We could go Irving, Smith, Curry in the back court with MP1 or 2 and Singler. Or put Singler at the three and start both MP1 and MP2.

Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLandlord View Post
    Anyone know any good hotels in San Antonio?
    I don't care to go back to San Antonio for any basketball games, thanks just the same. But I'd love to spend the first weekend in April of 2011 in Houston. Or better yet, let's call it Houstonapolis...

thrilled kyle is coming back. he will without a doubt jump into my list of fav blue devils along with jj, laettner, hurley, dawkins, ferry just to mention my current top five.

This is fabulous news for us. Every other coach in the country is groaning - Duke gets all the breaks. Should be a good offseason!

If you stay in San Antonio you're going to miss Duke playing for the title in Houston.

I am in a happy place. Inner peace.

A truly welcome surprise. Kyle has the chance to elevate to true Legend status.

We're going to see some very interesting lineups. It will be fascinating to watch K work with this group.

Might we see a return to the overplay man-to-man? Hard to say without knowing how Kyrie and Seth play D.

It's going to be one hell of a ride. LGD.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    If you stay in San Antonio you're going to miss Duke playing for the title in Houston.
    FML. I knew Houston, must have had the '10 womens FF on my mind...

I have to wonder if the apparent offensive prowess of incoming freshman Kyrie Irving had something to do with it. Kyle has never played with a true drive and kick pg nor a pg that initiates an up-tempo offense. This could give Kyle some nice spot up looks which has been one of his strongest suits.

This may also benefit guys like Hairston and Felix in the long run as well as they won't have to be thrown into the fire right away. Get your "why don't Carrick and Josh get more pt?" responses ready. This is of course an enormous benefit to the rest of the guys on the team b/c while being such a great player on both sides of the court, Kyle is also an excellent glue guy. Kyrie and Seth are going to love distributing to this guy on both the wing and the post.

What probably has me most excited is the return of Kyle's defense. In the latter part of the season he showed an excellent ability to guard front court players and big wings. The job he did on De'Shaun Butler and Gordon Hayward was unbelievable. Those are two pro-caliber talents he shut down.

I do have to wonder how this is going to affect Andre and Mason. Does Kyle continue to play the big wing and push Andre further down the rotation? Or does Kyle return to a pf spot and push Mason out of the starting lineup?

This is great news but K does have some chemistry to build here. We are not at all the same team with Scheyer, Z, and Thomas gone. In the months of March and April those were three great defenders. Even with Kyle back I have serious doubts we'll reach the high level of defense that was on display for almost all of this past season. And we have a lot of guys who really want to play.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

FML. I knew Houston, must have had the '10 womens FF on my mind...
    Yeah that happens to me all the time...

Anyway, the article mentions a press conference tomorrow but I didn't see a time or place. Does anyone know?

"Actually, this will be one of the most content "off-seasons" in many years so cherish the next few months."

so very true, this.

fantastic news.

No joke, I shed a few tears of joy when I read this.
    This has truly been a SUCKY day, but this totally turned everything around.
    Thank you, Kyle. And thank you Duke basketball for giving me an outlet to enjoy something special.

I truly had a feeling that it'd come to this! I am so pleased that he's going to stay and we are just blessed to have him.

I hope I get the chance to ask him about that last pick play in the Butler game;...I do think that that play had even Iron Man woozy!

Thanks for staying Kyle!

dth.

Irving
    Nolan
    Kyle MP1
    MP2

Bench:
    Dawkins & Curry- two flat out shooters that can come in and light it up
    R Kelly- Stretch the floor hopefully be able to contribute like on of the Plums did this year
    J Hairston- Also provide inside scoring and rebounding for one of the Plums
    T Thornton & C Felix- Come in to play lock down defense and add athleticism

This team is a dream team. It's going to be beautiful.

Dang, I thought it was in Houston!

And IC is celebrating with one of the most classless threads I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever openly hoped for career failure or injury of a Carolina player, nor have I seen that on DBR, but it's nice for IC to confirm everything we all think about the louts over there.

I hope Singler reads each and every post on that thread and spends his senior year shoving it up their collective rears.

Great news, and here's hoping Kyle and Nolan have the kind of senior season Jon, Lance, and Zoubs had.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I have to wonder if the apparent offensive prowess of incoming freshman Kyrie Irving had something to do with it. Kyle has never played with a true drive and kick pg nor a pg that initiates an up-tempo offense. This could give Kyle some nice spot up looks which has been one of his strongest suits.

This may also benefit guys like Hairston and Felix in the long run as well as they won't have to be thrown into the fire right away. Get your "why don't Carrick and Josh get more pt?" responses ready. This is of course an enormous benefit to the rest of the guys on the team b/c while being such a great player on both sides of the court, Kyle is also an excellent glue guy. Kyrie and Seth are going to love distributing to this guy on both the wing and the post.

What probably has me most excited is the return of Kyle's defense. In the latter part of the season he showed an excellent ability to guard front court players and big wings. The job he did on De'Shaun Butler and Gordon Hayward was unbelievable. Those are two pro-caliber talents he shut down.

I do have to wonder how this is going to affect Andre and Mason. Does Kyle continue to play the big wing and push Andre further down the rotation? Or does Kyle return to a pf spot and push Mason out of the starting lineup?

This is great news but K does have some chemistry to build here. We are not at all the same team with Scheyer, Z, and Thomas gone. In the months of March and April those were three great defenders. Even with Kyle back I have serious doubts we'll reach the high level of defense that was on display for almost all of this past season. And we have a lot of guys who really want to play.
    I think yes, Kyrie gives Kyle the chance to show what he can do with a point guard in the game that plays an NBA style.

Coach K does have a lot of minutes to figure out. I propose playing more full court trapping defense to really push other teams into turnovers. Depends on how well everyone embraces playing defense, but wouldn't that be fun?

I think depending on our match up, our starting line up will be nolan, kyrie, kyle and both plumlees. with the option of moving kyle to the 4 and inserting curry or dawkins. Those guys are going to be giving their all in practice to get playing time which means they're going to get very very good eventually.

This team will have the core of a team that was extremely close and had a great attitude. That attitude translated into a national championship. I don't think any of these guys are going to pout. If they want to play more, they're going to work harder and do more in practice. We could start two competitive teams in the ACC next year with our depth.

Depth, talent, experience, coaching. And not to look too far ahead, but the geography of future tournament cities line up well for us if we can get the East #1 seed. Just sayin'.

Singler > Harrison and what a year!

I'll take a senior Kyle Singler, MVP of ACC Tourney and Final Four, over a one and done freshman Harrison Barnes every day!

To think how this season began with the disappointment of Harrison's commitment to Carolina, then Duke wins it all in a year no one thought possible, and on top of that Carolina was preseason top 10 and failed to make the tournament!

Order has truly been restored.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    And IC is celebrating with one of the most classless threads I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever openly hoped for career failure or injury of a Carolina player, nor have I seen that on DBR, but it's nice for IC to confirm everything we all think about the louts over there.

I hope Singler reads each and every post on that thread and spends his senior year shoving it up their collective rears.

Great news, and here's hoping Kyle and Nolan have the kind of senior season Jon, Lance, and Zoubs had.
    I refuse to go to ic, but I'm sure if you provide a couple examples of the poop bring thrown around there that it would reinforce my feelings about the fans of the sissy shade of blue.

Senior Leadership

Maybe the most important aspect of Singler coming back next season is leadership. I really think that the biggest reason that the talented '03 team couldn't pull off the repeat was the lack of a tough senior leader. It wasn't so much Battier and James' production that was missed but their leadership when the game was on the line. That will to win.

Scheyer, Z and Thomas brought that this year. Having Smith returning was important but having two seniors that have been through what he and Singler have been through is priceless.

Without Singler next year's team would have put up a lot of points and would have won a lot of games but I'm not sure who would have been the glue guy, the guy to do the dirty work (I think that both Felix and Hairston could be that guy in '12 but probably not next year). That's the great thing about Singler, nit only is he a stud but he is also a glue guy. Very similar to Battier.

This isn't meant to be a diss on Smith either. He is going to be huge for Duke next season and he has great leadership abilities as well as a willingness to do the dirty work. He will be the Williams to Singler's Battier.

Having to start seniors return from a NC is very rare and awesome for those of us that root for the darker shade of blue. Barring an unfortunate event (read: injury (knock on wood)) we will see #12 in the rafters some senior night next season. That should resolve the whole nc team/retired jersey debate going on the Scheyer thread.

Happy Days!!!!!!