Georgia Tech Trying to Steal Duke Recruit

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sh...a_tech_lo.html

Georgia Tech is trying to go after Duke commit Brandon Putnam, a 6'3", 230 lb DE. I believe that Putnam is part of this year's recruiting class. How big a prospect is he, and is he a recruit that Coach Cut will have to spend resources to try and keep him committed?
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Dunno, but it's gotta be a good sign when other programs want our guys. At first glance I though this thread would be about basketball! Very heartening it is about football.

Putnam

Putnam is a solid three-star recruit.

But this is nothing ... it happens in football all the time. Lee Butler, a freshman on this year's Duke team, committed to Duke under Roof, changed his mind when Roof was fired, committed to Georgia Tech, changed his mind again and signed with Duke. Sean Renfree committed to Georgia Tech, but changed his mind when Tech hired Paul Johnson and eventually signed with Duke. Greg Little over in Chapel Hill committed to Notre Dame, but signed with Carolina ...

Putnam is not the only Cutcliffe recruit who will be pursued by others. I guarantee you that half a dozen big time programs will continue to pursue Desmond Scott. Connor Vernon made a recruiting visit to Vanderbilt AFTER he committed to Duke (says he's still strongly committed). Justin Foxx is still getting pressure from UNC.

This is a GOOD sign. It's what top flight programs go through. When you get early commitments from kids whose only other options are Elon and Gardner-Webb, it's easy to hold your commitments.

Duke's staff knows how it works -- Kent McLeod said recently that Duke's 22 commitments are their primary recruiting targets at the moment. They know it's not over until signing day. It's possible that they may lose a kid or two, but that's a risk you take when you go after kids that other major college programs want.

This might be one area where Duke's success this fall is a factor. I'm sure the anti-Duke recruiters are out there trying to convince these kids that they don't want to waste their college careers at a place that hasn't won big in their lifetime and has such a lousy football culture. If Cut's first team can show a little life and generate a little excitement in Durham, I'm sure it will make it a lot easier to sell those 22 commitments on the idea that they're going to be part of a great football revival.

If this season is a disaster, it's possible that it could raise the doubts of at least a couple of Duke recruits.

But if you put a gun to my head, I'd put the over/under about how many of the 22 current recruits renege on their commitments at one.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Dunno, but it's gotta be a good sign when other programs want our guys. At first glance I though this thread would be about basketball! Very heartening it is about football.
    Not the first time this has happened, actually.

Georgia took away one of our QB commits a few years back (Joe Cox).

And there are plenty of other examples.

And this year, we took away one of Rutgers' TB commits.

I love the comments in response to the article. All just smack talk between UGa and GTech fans...hysterical! But, yeah, I see this is a good sign and it's fairly common in football. Cutcliffe is obviously not stupid and expects this with many players.

I will gladly give up Putman, if Tech gives up it's interest in Derrick Favors.

John Drew, a recruit in this year's class, also decommitted from GT to Duke. They probably feel somewhat entitled to go after Putnam

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Kaufman View Post
    Not the first time this has happened, actually.

Georgia took away one of our QB commits a few years back (Joe Cox).
    I never realized Cox verbally committed to Duke. Wonder what would have happened if he'd gone to Durham? Instead, he's played sparingly in his time at Georgia and probably won't see a lot of the field this season, unless there's an injury.

Gt, Qb, Uga

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I never realized Cox verbally committed to Duke. Wonder what would have happened if he'd gone to Durham? Instead, he's played sparingly in his time at Georgia and probably won't see a lot of the field this season, unless there's an injury.
    IIRC, it was sort of a "package" deal with his HS coach becoming a Duke assistant under Roof. This was also supposed to "enhance" NC recruiting. Cox never set foot on campus and his HS coach went back to HS coaching in Charlotte after a year, I believe. Mr. Sumner or Olympic Fan-any additions/corrections to the above?