Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    I wonder how long until Dwight Howard gets sick of carrying that team around. The Orlando role players didn't wake up until it was way too late. At least this year it will be a series.
    Did anyone else notice JJ's plus minus? I know, I know...can't read too much into single game plus minus, but 10 points better than the next best? 24 points better than the best starter? I think there's something there...hopefully if the injury doesn't hold him back he can contribute in a big way to a run by Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Did anyone else notice JJ's plus minus? I know, I know...can't read too much into single game plus minus, but 10 points better than the next best? 24 points better than the best starter? I think there's something there...hopefully if the injury doesn't hold him back he can contribute in a big way to a run by Orlando.
    At least JJ (who didn't look 100%) tried on defense. Wasn't it great that the Magic crowd gave him such a big ovation, they obviously realize a player when they see one!

The Magic in general looked pathetic on the defensive side. Basically the Hawks got what they wanted when they wanted...this continues and it is bye, bye Dwight for sure.

At least JJ (who didn't look 100%) tried on defense. Wasn't it great that the Magic crowd gave him such a big ovation, they obviously realize a player when they see one!

The Magic in general looked pathetic on the defensive side. Basically the Hawks got what they wanted when they wanted...this continues and it is bye, bye Dwight for sure.
    Is it that the Magic didn't try or that Nelson and Turk are such big holes on defense that not oven Howard can compensate? Although it pains me to root against a team with JJ, I have to say that I was very pleased with the game. It didn't follow the script of the regular season games where the Hawks actually minimized Howard, but instead Howard got his but the Hawks chased the three point shooters off the line, recognizing that without the three point shot the Magic offense is limited. The athleticism and length of the Hawks also left the Magic at a disadvantage. Personally, I hope JJ goes off in the next game and the Hawks win by 1, answering a JJ three that gave the Magic a one point lead with 10 seconds left.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    But most importantly, what will ex-Duke players do? Plenty of 'em here.

J.J., Duhon (Magic) Boozer. Deng (Bulls), Shelden (Knicks), McBobs, Dahntay and Dunleavy (Pacers), Elton (sixers), Battier (Grizzlies). Plenty to watch here.
    And if you aren't a fan and need teams to root against...

Hansbrough (Pacers),
    Marvin Williams (Hawks),
    Lawson, Felton (Nuggets),
    Brendan Haywood (Mavericks),
    Danny Green (end of Spurs bench)

Battier hits the game-winning 3

In the final minute against the Spurs, Battier hit a three to put the Grizzlies up by one and they held on for a 101-98 win. The Grizzlies finished on a 7-0 run, coming back from a 98-94 deficit in the final minute.

Quote Originally Posted by shoutingncu View Post

Hansbrough (Pacers),
    Marvin Williams (Hawks),
    Thanks, but I've a team to root against for as long as I've been following NBA basketball (I guess that's about 35 years now - since I was around 10):

The LA Lakers!

As long as they don't win I'll be happy. Having said that, YES I do actively root against teams with Tar Heels in the lineup.

Talking UNC in the NBA? Not a Problem Here?

Hansbrough (Pacers),
    Marvin Williams (Hawks),
    Don't hate the Tar Heel players, and certainly the Duke players don't hate them. I like Lawson and Felton, although I don't have a lot of use for Haywood and Showboat Danny Green (but, hey, he's drawing an NBA salary).

We have a lot of fun with Hansbrough, who was being called "Psycho T" even on the ESPN radio post-game show, but I thought he would do well in the NBA. It's taken a year-and-a-half.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by AluminumDuke View Post
    In the final minute against the Spurs, Battier hit a three to put the Grizzlies up by one and they held on for a 101-98 win. The Grizzlies finished on a 7-0 run, coming back from a 98-94 deficit in the final minute.
    That's why they call him Big Shot Shane! (Yeah, OK, maybe they don't call him that...but they should.)

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    That's why they call him Big Shot Shane! (Yeah, OK, maybe they don't call him that...but they should.)
    Shane just tweeted that they also welcomed Baby Battier to the world after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Shane just tweeted that they also welcomed Baby Battier to the world after the game.
    Who's your daddy? BATTIER!

Hansbrough (Pacers),
    Marvin Williams (Hawks),
    Not sure why people here would root against a team with 3 Duke players in the rotation...

Solid start to the 2029 recruiting class IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Not sure why people here would root against a team with 3 Duke players in the rotation...
    If you're talking about the Pacers, they may only have two Duke players in their playoff rotation (Jones got a DNP in game 1). And they're playing against the team with two Duke players in the starting lineup (and no UNC players on the roster, as compared with the Pacers who start a UNC guy).

Of course, I'm a Bulls fan, so I'm biased.

Well, the Knicks just gaacked away a game they probably had to have. Melo was dead set on being the hero, that is why they brought him to town, and he missed every shot he took while also turning the ball over a lot at crunch time (though the offensive foul in the final 30 seconds was a joke of a call).

I am no Knicks fan, but the refs sure seemed to be pro-Celtics. On the play where Billups got hurt, it looked like he got fouled about 4 different times.

-Jason "Ray Allen is a stone cold assassin" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Memphis used to have an awesome play by play announcer whose favorite phrase was:
    "Only in the movies...and in Memphis!"

If he were still alive to have called this game, he would have brought this one out again.

After the game, Coach Hollins said something to the effect 'I could care less about winning Memphis's first game, but nothing could have been more appropriate than Shane making the winning shot."

I always love Game 1 road team victories, always add some juice to a series. Still think Lakers and Spurs pull it out, but the West looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Amazing how teams with Battier on them tend to overachieve.

I always love Game 1 road team victories, always add some juice to a series. Still think Lakers and Spurs pull it out, but the West looks like it will be a lot of fun.
    Best possible news for casual fans, really. A lot of recent NBA press (Can Orlando win the East? Can Denver win the West?) has tried to serve one purpose: hope. Hope that there's just enough parity to delay the inevitable* so that people will still bother watching.

Interesting how it takes 2 months to eliminate 15 teams in the NBA playoffs, while the NCAA Tournament eliminates 16 teams in its first full day. I see, objectively, that pro basketball is a better product, but does it have to be so long and predictable?

Haven't rooted for a particular player or team in years. I'm more of a "Please, anything different" type of person.

*Lakers over Celtics. Kobe Bryant pretends to be excited. Derek Fisher celebrates his 96th birthday. Phil Jackson disapparates as he instantly merges with the Force. And a nation yawns.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, the Knicks just gaacked away a game they probably had to have. Melo was dead set on being the hero, that is why they brought him to town, and he missed every shot he took while also turning the ball over a lot at crunch time (though the offensive foul in the final 30 seconds was a joke of a call).

I am no Knicks fan, but the refs sure seemed to be pro-Celtics. On the play where Billups got hurt, it looked like he got fouled about 4 different times.

-Jason "Ray Allen is a stone cold assassin" Evans
    One thing I have noticed the last couple of years is that the Celtics get away with murder on defense. Holding (which last night was more like grappling), moving screens (this particularly annoys me because it is so obvious: case in point, the ONeal screen where he literally pushed 'Melo down into the post), and hands (KG is the egregious one here -- he will put both hands on you at the same time).

I have no love for the Knicks either, but as soon as the second half started you knew the refs were going to let the Celtics "defense" their way to a victory.

And yes, that bogus offensive foul call on Melo cost them the game.

i agreee...it was awful how they let the celts get away with EVERTHING...

NY got hosed...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Interesting how it takes 2 months to eliminate 15 teams in the NBA playoffs, while the NCAA Tournament eliminates 16 teams in its first full day. I see, objectively, that pro basketball is a better product, but does it have to be so long and predictable?

Haven't rooted for a particular player or team in years. I'm more of a "Please, anything different" type of person.

*Lakers over Celtics. Kobe Bryant pretends to be excited. Derek Fisher celebrates his 96th birthday. Phil Jackson disapparates as he instantly merges with the Force. And a nation yawns.
    Interesting perspective. I agree in the sense that the NBA product is better in terms of skill on the court, but that the college game provides an element that the NBA does not. Nothing beats an elimination style tournament, regardless of if it is Conference or NCAA's. That's why I'm always pleased that Duke chases the Conference Tournament championship because in my mind it really means something, obviously the NCAA's mean more, but those don't come around as often!

I also don't follow a particular NBA team but do find the playoffs interesting. It's more like a marathon than a sprint and after the college season finishes it's nice to have basketball on for a few more months.

What I like about this year more than most seasons is that I don't see a clear favorite on either side. I agree that the Lakers 'should' win the West, but the last few games I've watched them play they truly look awful. I was listening to Bill Simmons Podcast and he's all over the Oklahoma to get out of the West, but it would be a major leap. Plus Simmons is a self proclaimed Duke hater so he can shove it.

In the East I have no idea. The Bulls have looked the best over the year but you can't ignore how the Celts play this time of year and Miami has clearly the most top end talent. Either way it should be fun and unlike other years I don't feel that there are only 2 or 3 teams that have a legitimate shot at winning it all.

Also, who said Phil Jackson will merge with the force, don't recall many Duke players on his rosters over the years and one ultra famous Tar Heel...sounds like the Dark Side to me