Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    agree. they have just barely beaten a couple of teams that are not going to make the field of however many it is now, and for very good reason.
    My co-workers who are heel fans try to discount our Championship by saying something similar. I get tired of hearing it at work and honestly I get tired of people trying to do the same on this board when talking about the heels season. Is it really so difficult to admit they're a very good team? And please don't run out that lame, the ACC is down line, as we happen to play in the ACC.

Let's just take care of the Hokies and we'll have our rasslin tag team championship main event, two out of three falls finale. So we can settle this once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    One game maybe two games is luck. When it gets to 5 games, 6 games, etc. there is more to it than luck.
    The shocking thing isn't their comebacks, it is how poorly they have played at the beginning of games. The last 20 minutes is the true talent level of this team, not the first 20. So why are they playing so poorly the first half of games before needing to come back? Hint: has to do with the white haired guy in crappy ties pacing the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelilsis View Post
    1. I'm also glad Barnes went to unc. His self absorbtion would've never fit it at Duke.
    Coach K. was not. He wanted Barnes badly and thought he would fit in just fine.

2. When Clemson got hosed on the held ball call, I knew they were done. You can beat 5 players but it's extremely difficult to beat 8.
    I watched it several times, it was the correct call. There was no possession before the shot clock ran out.

3. In answer to "Is this scripted?" Yes, I believe it is. (Alright, maybe I'm a bit over the top with my antihole attitude.)
    No, I don't think it is scripted. Some immature UNC fans said the same thing last year.

4. True story: Yesterday, I watched a one year old stick her hand in the back of her diaper, pull it out and wipe "what she had found" on the carolina shirt she was wearing. It was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had at work.

Cool!

GTHC

The key is not so much stopping Marshall. You've got to stop/contain Barnes. You have to force Marshall right (I cannot understand why teams just let him bring it up with his left hand, baffling to me).

For those saying they wouldn't take Barnes, lol. Kid is a stud, took awhile this year, but he is a flat out star. I'd take him, no question. He doesn't have half the arrogance/attitude that Redick had in his younger Duke days but nobody was complaining then.

Sure, you could say UNC is lucky to be making these comebacks and they can't continue to start off slow because the better teams won't crumble in the end. But UNC continues to find a way to win and something must be said for that

Quote Originally Posted by fgb View Post
    agree. they have just barely beaten a couple of teams that are not going to make the field of however many it is now, and for very good reason.
    I'll be surprised if Clemson fails to make the field.

It's sort of good news/bad news for the Heels, with the emphasis on good. They keep winning the close ones, and that counts a lot in my view. If one wants to say, "Yeah, but look who they're beating," well, Duke for one. I do agree that neither Miami nor Clemson appear to be as talented as a fair number of NCAAT teams, but they're not absolute dogs, either.

For the most obvious of reasons, I sure hope the Devils and Heels get a chance to settle things tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    you don't get fouled when 37% your shots are 3's and a bit more are jump shots. that's simple math.
    That doesn't begin to explain Carolina's annual advantage at the charity stripe. Plenty of ACC teams work the paint at least as much as Carolina, but Carolina still leads the league in ref differential. Your reply is a pithy one typical of Carolina fans. You're (usually) better than that.

Final tally tonight: 34 FTA for Carolina, 16 for Clemson. A 2:1 advantage for Carolina. 36% of Clemson's FG attempts were 3s. 26% of Carolina's were 3s. Does that disparity account for a 2:1 FTA advantage for Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I'm actually kind of glad he's gotten better to ensure his departure. Can't turn down being drafted #5-8!
    Keep up this scoring and he is a 1-3 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by BattierBattalion View Post
    Wow, Carolina's luck has to be running out soon, right? RIGHT?
    Your footer is becoming outdated

And I will say that it is pretty ridiculous that HB isn't a top 5 lock at this point. In ACC play, he is averaging 17.4 points and since the first Duke game, he is averaging 19.8 points. If he had started out the season this way, he'd prob be the first pick. Yet somehow, he will never live up to expectation b/c he had such a poor start. And some drafts somehow have Perry Jones ahead of HB who is averaging 11.3 over his last 8. And Terrence Jones has also fallen off recently. Wouldn't recent success be a better indication b/c while HB needed time to get comfortable, it shows he can adapt while the other players struggle against the way opponents are now guarding them.

We'd take Barnes in a heartbeat despite his ego being the size of Jupiter. (Quick story: My UNC-attending sister said that there was a letter to the Daily Tar Heel that said, "Dear Harrison Barnes, stop Googling yourself in class.")

Yeah, agree, Carolina is legit. If they can focus and do not tire out, they should do some damage in the NCAAT.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Is it really so difficult to admit they're a very good team? And please don't run out that lame, the ACC is down line, as we happen to play in the ACC.
    Not only that, but we finished 2nd in the regular season in the down ACC to those hated Heels. I'll admit it -- they're a good team. They've really matured. And I hope they get their asses handed to them in round 1 or 2 next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    The key is not so much stopping Marshall. You've got to stop/contain Barnes. You have to force Marshall right (I cannot understand why teams just let him bring it up with his left hand, baffling to me).

For those saying they wouldn't take Barnes, lol. Kid is a stud, took awhile this year, but he is a flat out star. I'd take him, no question. He doesn't have half the arrogance/attitude that Redick had in his younger Duke days but nobody was complaining then.

Sure, you could say UNC is lucky to be making these comebacks and they can't continue to start off slow because the better teams won't crumble in the end. But UNC continues to find a way to win and something must be said for that
    Winning in crunch time is what the tourney is all about. This team has the ability. Several of the their players play their best under pressure. A really good team might not fail to execute as we saw Miami and Clemson do in these games - but pressure is pressure and my sense is that when a team is close in the final minute- it is anyone's game. UNC has won them all this year and so they are showing that this is more than luck now- they are showing a knack to win. Except for their lack of depth- they are very dangerous.

Apart from Duke, I haven't seen UNC start well against anyone. Their MO seems to be, keep it close, have HB hit some shots to keep it close, and then take advantage of the other team's mistakes.
    So when this team goes up against a Texas, Kansas, Ohio State or even possibly a Wisconsin, they won't get the same reprieve the ACC gives them.

I am glad HB went to UNC
    Me too. I wouldn't want the Duke fans to be put in the unenviable position of having to decide whether or not to embrace the absolute worst self-appointed nickname in the history of basketball. Credit the Tarheel fans for sacrificing every ounce of pride they had and eagerly stepping up to stroke the kid's ego. If he'd gone to Duke and the Cameron Crazies were putting on their Black Falcon t-shirts, I'd be as embarrassed as I was the day I found out about the "Cheer Sheets"

The Heels ability to come back has been amazing but it's a double edged sword. Sleep-walking through more than 1/2 of a game will eventually catch up to you particularly at tournament time as the competition gets better. Roy's got to figure out why Mr. Barnes is the only one showing up to play early.

Good luckagainst the Hokies. What a great game that shapes up to be tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    That doesn't begin to explain Carolina's annual advantage at the charity stripe. Plenty of ACC teams work the paint at least as much as Carolina, but Carolina still leads the league in ref differential. Your reply is a pithy one typical of Carolina fans. You're (usually) better than that.

Final tally tonight: 34 FTA for Carolina, 16 for Clemson. A 2:1 advantage for Carolina. 36% of Clemson's FG attempts were 3s. 26% of Carolina's were 3s. Does that disparity account for a 2:1 FTA advantage for Carolina?
    Clemson had 8 more fouls called against them than UNC had for the game. How many fouls were called in the final minute at the end of the game? 3 maybe 4? So, if that is the case, that means that UNC had 4 more fouls called for them than called against them, fair? That is 8 free throws if you account that every foul was either a shooting foul or a foul in the double bonus. UNC shot 18 more free throws than Clemson. There are fouls and then there are shooting fouls.

You can draw your own conclusions, which you have, but saying that UNC gets all the calls in about as valid as saying Duke gets all the calls. You can call me out and say I am a typical UNC fan, but you are being typical Duke fans when you try and claim UNC benefits from referees that cheat.

HB would have been amazing at Duke and well received, especially considering he's a good kid and close friends with Kyrie. HB on the team would have made Duke nearly unstoppable. He realized he'd have to compete against some good great for PT his freshman year and Kyrie for freshman NPOY attention so he jumped to UNC, IMO. Clemson simply choked on trying to manage the game the last 3 minutes. Personally, I was hoping Duke got a rematch against Carolina, since they lost the regular season championship, so now let's just hope Duke can win and setup the battle royal for Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    Coach K. was not. He wanted Barnes badly and thought he would fit in just fine.

I watched it several times, it was the correct call. There was no possession before the shot clock ran out.

No, I don't think it is scripted. Some immature UNC fans said the same thing last year.
    I watched the shot clock violation play several times, too. Henson had control. The clock you want to watch (on one of the replays) is not the red-numeraled one. The white numeraled one is a camera shot of the actual shot clock above the glass.

Don't bend over too far backwards, you body will spell out a big "C", troll-man.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

but you are being typical Duke fans when you try and claim UNC benefits from referees that cheat.
    There's a subtle (but important) difference in saying refs cheat (which I never have) and noting an inexplicable and annual FTA advantage for one particular pastel-blue wearing team. It's my belief that Carolina benefits from an advantage in the perceptions of the refs, particularly in their "lean" on close calls. I may be wrong in my belief, but the facts are what they are: year after year, regardless of Carolina's style of play and record, they are at, or near, the top of the ACC in FTA differential. Today's game was a great example of the advantage they get from that differential. If Carolina doesn't outshoot Clemson, a team which was aggressively attacking the rim all game, by 16 FTA, they're not playing for the ACC Championship tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I watched the shot clock violation play several times, too. Henson had control. The clock you want to watch (on one of the replays) is not the red-numeraled one. The white numeraled one is a camera shot of the actual shot clock above the glass.

Don't bend over too far backwards, you body will spell out a big "C", troll-man.
    LOL!! No troll here!! Just being objective. I don't let my love for Duke blind me.
    The announcers also thought it was the correct call too.

By the way, did you catch the Duke game were the Refs couldn't count to 10?
    Did you complain about that one?? The NON back court violation??

Being objective and honest does not make one a troll??