View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Top Movies of Summer 2017

You know how it works... you vote for the 5 (not 4, not 6) movies in the poll that you think will make the most money at the domestic boxoffice this summer. You can vote for any film that opens in May, June, July, or August. The contest will end as soon as it is clear that no more eligible films have a chance to make it into the top 5, probably some time in September.

One small change this year... instead of "other" we will have a choice of "field" which will be any film not already listed in the poll. If you think there is some darkhorse contender out there, you don't need to name it to get credit for picking it. Does that make sense?

The poll will close in exactly 2 weeks, on May 1.

Here are the eligible films, sorted by release date.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)
    Alien Covenant (May 19)
    Baywatch (May 26)
    Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)
    Wonder Woman (June 2)
    Captain Underpants (June 2)
    The Mummy (June 9)
    Cars 3 (June 16)
    Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)
    Despicable Me 3 (June 30)
    Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)
    War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)
    Dunkirk (July 21)
    The Dark Town (August 4)

Feel free to post your picks and explain why you chose them.

-Jason "any questions?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

By the way, the field includes some films that may have a real shot including:

King Arthur, Snatched, Rough Night, The Emoji Movie, Valerian and the City of..., The House, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Atomic Blonde.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Dark Town (August 4)
    You may want to keep this typo for your poll in case The Dark Tower gets delayed again.

I count at 8 guaranteed locks for the top 5. I must be doing some UNC math on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    You may want to keep this typo for your poll in case The Dark Tower gets delayed again.
    Oh boy... nice one, Jason.

The film is THE DARK TOWER!!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I count at 8 guaranteed locks for the top 5. I must be doing some UNC math on this one.
    Only 8???

What makes this summer so hard is that there are some franchises (Pirates, Transformers, Despicable, Cars, Apes) that feel like they should be locks, but they are aging and some of the audience goodwill may have worn off. And do you dare bet against Dunkirk? Christopher Nolan's past 4 films all made the Top 5.

I see 3 locks that absolutely must be picked (all three of them will make well over $300 million, I suspect), but the last 2 could be really tough. I'll also say that this may be the summer where a film makes the top 5 without earning $200 million. It feels like there may be a lot of flicks that earn more than $125 mil but who do not make it to $200 million.

-Jason "good luck everyone!" Evans

some of the audience goodwill may have worn off
    understatement of the year

Oh, and a quick clarification with "The Field" pick, do we have to name the movie...or are we just saying, "any movie not on this list"? ...and what if we want to pick "the field" more than once?

I took Guardians and Spider-Man because Marvel
    I took DM3 because DM and minions and all that
    I took Dunkirk because Christopher Nolan has been a lock since the Batman movies

After that I was very uncertain. I have no faith in Cars 3 and really wish Pixar hadn't bothered with it (I know the Cars movies are a pet project of John Lasseter, however). BUT...the only other kiddie showing before that is Captain Underpants which, I don't think, will do much to satiate the "Get me and these hellions out of the house" need setting in by mid June. There's 2 weeks until DM3 for Cars3 to have the kiddie market to itself. And the Pixar name will probably at least give this movie a chance.

I dabbled with The Mummy, but I don't trust Cruise at the box office in anything other than an Mission Impossible movie now. I think the world is done with Pirates. And, unfortunately, female superhero standalone movies haven't historically done very well (frankly, action movies with female leads haven't historically done very well, with a few notable exceptions), so I'm not banking on WW to make the $250+M needed to score a top 5 spot. Chris Pine as the male supporting lead doesn't draw much box office, and DC isn't Marvel.

I'm voting with my heart that Transformers is done. I'm probably wrong. And then there is Apes. I just find the whole concept boring, and I'm having a hard time imagining what about that franchise will inspire box office fire for a blockbuster. Probably should have picked it or Transformers over Cars3, though, now that I think about it more.

The Dark Tower is the only other tempting one for me. But, while it's got a passionate book following, it's still a bit of a nitch and it's an August release. I could, however, see it catching fire.

Half these movies I saw and thought "They are making MORE of these? How do they still make money?"

Picks:
    Illumination is on fire, so I picked DM3.
    Guardians was huge. 2 will be as well.
    Spider man has Tony Stark and the Marvel brand, which help separate it from the recent reboot.
    The new DC movies have been making $$$, so I went with WW.
    Had a lot of trouble choosing my 5th. A bunch of tired franchises. I went with Pixar as they've had success the past 2 summers. Maybe more hopeful than anything that they made Cars 3 good. I really like Pixar.

Good luck to all! I'm sure I'll be wrong, but it'll be fun to go on record finally (I've been following these for a few years, but haven't voted).
    Tent 1 Three-peat (2012-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Oh, and a quick clarification with "The Field" pick, do we have to name the movie...or are we just saying, "any movie not on this list"? ...and what if we want to pick "the field" more than once?
    Sorry I was not more clear... if you pick "The Field" then you get all films not named on the list. You do not have to name your "field" pick, though I would be interested in hearing which one or two of the non-named films you think will make it into the top 5.

If you want to pick the field twice, just make a total of 4 selections in the poll and then indicate in a post that you are taking 2 field picks. Heck, if you want to pick the field 5 times, just vote for it once and then post that your one vote counts for 5 picks. Does that make sense?

-Jason "how many times has a film not on our list made the top 5? Hangover did it and I think there have been one or two others" Evans

"how many times has a film not on our list made the top 5? Hangover did it and I think there have been one or two others"
    American Sniper made it a couple winters ago.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    American Sniper made it a couple winters ago.
    Good call... and no one voted for "other" that year.

Early results indicate... we don't have a good sense of what we are doing this time. There are only 2 films being picked by more than 65% of voters thus far. Of our 15 options, 13 have gotten at least 1 vote and we have 2 people so far who have taken "the field."

I'd love to know what the 2 field voters think will be the film that breaks into the top 5.

-Jason "this may be the year that 3-out-of-5 is a really good score... which is about what I usually get" Evans

Sorry I was not more clear... if you pick "The Field" then you get all films not named on the list. You do not have to name your "field" pick, though I would be interested in hearing which one or two of the non-named films you think will make it into the top 5.

If you want to pick the field twice, just make a total of 4 selections in the poll and then indicate in a post that you are taking 2 field picks. Heck, if you want to pick the field 5 times, just vote for it once and then post that your one vote counts for 5 picks. Does that make sense?

-Jason "how many times has a film not on our list made the top 5? Hangover did it and I think there have been one or two others" Evans
    Don't you need to subtract "field" picks from 5? Or you'd end up with more picks than 5.

-j "I'm confused" k

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Don't you need to subtract "field" picks from 5? Or you'd end up with more picks than 5.

-j "I'm confused" k
    You are playing right into his hands...

Early results indicate... we don't have a good sense of what we are doing this time.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-j "I'm confused" k
    Yes, you subtract field from your 5 total picks. So, you would be saying, "I expect the top 5 movies at the boxoffice this summer to be film A, film B, film C, film D, and then some film not mentioned in the poll." You get 5 votes and only 5 votes. One (or more if you think 2 field picks will hit the top 5... highly unlikely) of your 5 votes can be made for the field.

Clear now?

This summer

I voted for the 4 movies I know I will go see (Guardians, WW, Spiderman, Dunkirk) and one for the kids (D3)....which means leaving out Apes, which I will go see too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I might wait until the end of the month to vote, but then I might decide that changing my mind everyday for two weeks is unhealthy and make my picks tonight.
    Either way, I am strongly leaning towards a field vote, since as I stated in another thread, I have faith in Luc Besson and really want to see Valerian. It will not surprise me if a few million other people want to watch as well.
    I think my hardest choice will be deciding if I want to go with Cars 3 or not. Third time's the charm, right?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I expect Guardians and Spidey to be seen in droves. Wonder Woman will appeal to many - especially girls and we will see soooo many of them on our front porches this year on October 31st that it will rival the Elsa Halloween. DM3 is still appealing to many. Okay, I admit it - guilty pleasure! As for the tired franchises, the world has a fever, and the only cure is more Pirates! I am betting it will be welcomed back big time.

Dunkirk will be the best movie of the summer, and the one I most look forward to seeing, but that is not what this is about. Nolan is on a winning streak, but I think this is more of a niche piece. This will not have the mass appeal of say, Saving Private Ryan. The rewards will come on Oscar night, more than at the box office. I think it will do reasonably well, but will not appeal to the popcorn crowd that can't point to France on a globe.