Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Seems like you are really trying to convince yourself that Boston is a big underdog. Pierce will be fine. Allen hit 2 clutch 3's last night in the 4th quarter, he will be fine, not his normal self but he is too good not to make an impact. If Pietrus concussion was so severe that he would still be recovering, I'd doubt he'd be playing (safety rules). Miami has injury issues themselves and I'm sure some of their guys are banged up.

Do you really think that Miami's best 5 (Bron, Wade, Chalmers, Battier, Haslem) is better than Boston's best 5 (Rondo, Garnett, Allen, Pierce, Bass)? Negative. That is why Bosh is so key in my opinion. The Heat's bench is weak, Mike Miller and Joel Anthony are limited. Bron and Wade carried the Heat in a 6 game series against Indiana. I think Boston is better than the Pacers
    Because they are. The C's staggered to the finish line and barely got by a mediocre team with only one (maybe) all star level player. James and Wade were playing in another universe against Indiana the last three games. Boston has no better defenders than Indiana; I'd say they may even combine for 70 a game against us (watch Ray Allen try to guard D-wade on those ankles. Are you kiddin' me?) The C's just don't have enough gas in the tank to get past them. Heat in 6.

uhh...wouldn't that be like putting matter and anti-matter in the same physical location?

i've seen that turn out badly for star trek folks...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

First of all, sorry for that crack about a Heat championship cementing the legacy of DWade, not Lebron. I clearly rubbed folks the wrong way on that one I meant it largely in jest and to get a rise out of the "Lebron is the best ever" crowd. FWIW, I do think this Heat team is Lebron's bunch. He needs his teammates to do SOMETHING, but it is very hard to see them winning a title without him playing at an extremely high level.

While I am at it, I wanted to chime in on the Boston-Miami series. I see lots of folks predicting "Heat in 6." I dunno about that prediction. I think Heat in 5 as they will not drop a game at home and will take one on the road. Do the "Heat in 6" crowd think Boston will have this thing at 2-2 after 4 games? I just don't see Boston having the offense to keep up with Miami's LeWade duo. I mean, I suppose Pierce and Rondo could each just GO OFF in a couple games, but aside from that happening, I don't see how Boston takes a couple games let alone wins this series. The regular season victories mean nothing in the playoffs. It is a whole new ballgame right now and LeWade are at a different altitude from the Celtics.

-Jason "also, I am betting OKC takes the series with the Spurs. It took a good comeback for the Spurs to win last night" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Obviously I am in the minority when it comes to thinking Boston will keep this series close. Yes, Lebron and D-wade were very good the last 3 game against Indiana. Again, Indiana, whose first playoff series win in a long while was against a DEPLETED AND BROKEN Magic team. This is Boston we are talking about. Banged up or not the Celtics can still hoop and they have a pretty strong dislike of the South Beach gang. And people really believe that Lebron and D-wade (who for half of the series against Indiana struggled on a number of occasions) are going to play at a superior level to Boston 4 out of 5 games. Interesting. I understand Boston is older but that gives me more reason to believe they play at a high level because they know this is probably their last shot together.

Great defense is not about having 3-5 great individual defenders (although it helps of course). It is about team defense (the Mavs last year are a great example against the likes of the Lakers/Thunder/Heat) and the Celtics are the leaders of playing tough TEAM defense. Sure the individual matchups favor Lebron and D-wade but with Garnett roaming in the paint he will be able to help off his man (Anthony, Haslem) to defend the basket.

Do the "Heat in 6" crowd think Boston will have this thing at 2-2 after 4 games?
    You're right, they'll probably do it in 5 like last year. I was being charitable. Even the Boston papers are thinking it could get ugly, but KG and Rondo are better than that. They'll keep it respectable, at least for a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    You're right, they'll probably do it in 5 like last year. I was being charitable. Even the Boston papers are thinking it could get ugly, but KG and Rondo are better than that. They'll keep it respectable, at least for a few games.
    Boston is very good team. I think a lot will depend on how the refs call the game. If it is allowed to be a hard-nosed, physical series then Boston has a shot because they can really body up James and Wade and wear them down. If it is called tight, then they cannot defend James and Wade.

The Heat will have a hard time with matchups, because as mentioned, nobody is well suited to guard Rondo or KG. Which Rondo shows up to play? If Rondo plays to his potential the whole series, Boston could win.

Boston will win at least two games at home. This series will go 6-7 games, edge to the Heat...but I would not be surprised to see Boston win. James and Wade played a great 3 games, but can they keep it up? Will Bosh be available, and if is...does that throw their offensive chemistry out of sync?

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    If it is allowed to be a hard-nosed, physical series then Boston has a shot because they can really body up James and Wade and wear them down.
    Really? With who? Ray? Keyon Dooling? Pierce (giving up 2 inches, 8 years and one bad knee to Lebron?). You tell me.

Really? With who? Ray? Keyon Dooling? Pierce (giving up 2 inches, 8 years and one bad knee to Lebron?). You tell me.
    I will tell you: you are correct, those are the guys who will "body" them up. Throw in Pietrus (who while playing for Orlando did ok on Lebron) Along with other players who are in help defense. AlaskanBear's point is IF the refs let the series be physical and swallow the whistle, it is to Boston's advantage. Nobody can push around Lebron but if the refs let you be physical with him and D-wade then it will be tougher for them to score.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    I will tell you: you are correct, those are the guys who will "body" them up. Throw in Pietrus (who while playing for Orlando did ok on Lebron) Along with other players who are in help defense. AlaskanBear's point is IF the refs let the series be physical and swallow the whistle, it is to Boston's advantage. Nobody can push around Lebron but if the refs let you be physical with him and D-wade then it will be tougher for them to score.
    I doubt that they let them mug the League MVP all game long.

AlaskanBear's point is IF the refs let the series be physical and swallow the whistle, it is to Boston's advantage.
    Not even sure about that. It means they'll let Lebron and D-wade trample us. Both Pierce and
    Ray are one hard foul injury each from being out for good. A rough series could send both permanently to the sidelines.

But enough of that. Game's in an hour. Hey, I'm cheering for the boys in Green; I want 'em to
    do honor, and I know KG and Rondo certainly will. Just can't get too excited about the rest of
    our team. We'll see.

I don't expect Miami to beat Boston easily. Miami has only three players who are consistently competent, and one of them is hurt. True, James is the best player in the world, and Wade is top 5-7, but without a third reliable player, there's so little margin for error. I don't like to speak in absolutes when it comes to these things -- I think people tend to overestimate how much a team "needs" to do X in order to win -- but it's hard to picture the Heat winning without Bosh and with either James or Wade having an off night. And though James and Wade both playing well is a (nearly) necessary condition for victory, it is not a sufficient one.

I wouldn't be shocked if Boston wins the series, though I'm not expecting it. Assuming Bosh doesn't play (or, if he plays, isn't effective) put me down for Miami in 6. Take James off the Heat and replace him with any other player in the world, and I'd pick Boston.

Not even sure about that. It means they'll let Lebron and D-wade trample us. Both Pierce and
    Ray are one hard foul injury each from being out for good. A rough series could send both permanently to the sidelines.

But enough of that. Game's in an hour. Hey, I'm cheering for the boys in Green; I want 'em to
    do honor, and I know KG and Rondo certainly will. Just can't get too excited about the rest of
    our team. We'll see.
    I'm surprised you didn't mention Pierce as someone who would play with honor. He may be hurt but that guy is a warrior. Like everyone else in the league, he doesn't match up well with LeBron, but there can't be that many better guys to get hot and steal agame or make key plays down the stretch to ice it.
    I think the Heat will win, but I expect the C's to put up a fight. Go Shane!

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't mention Pierce as someone who would play with honor. He may be hurt but that guy is a warrior. !
    You are right; he is indeed. I stand corrected. He's still better with one good leg than most players are with two. Whatever he has left, he'll leave it out there, and walk off the last game with his head up.

shane just missed a tre and the heat got the rebound....back to my daddy for the score...

man i hope shane has a great series...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    shane just missed a tre and the heat got the rebound....back to my daddy for the score...

man i hope shane has a great series...
    He hit one. Doing O.K. out there. So, it's halftime, and it looks about like I said;
    KG and Rondo will keep the Cs close. (Down 2). Although, D-wade hasn't done all that much
    yet. Pierce is mostly shooting 3s now (can't do too much else against Lebron), and
    as for Ray....sad. Can't even hit free throws!

Glad to see the boys in Green are making it respectable. Hey, I don't think they'll get
    blown out; their defense is too good for that. Just don't want to see them humiliated at
    the end of their careers.

Battier!

Making some absolutely brilliant defensive plays tonight.

Glad to see the boys in Green are making it respectable. Hey, I don't think they'll get
    blown out; their defense is too good for that. Just don't want to see them humiliated at
    the end of their careers.
    There is no humiliation at all in making the conference finals, even if you get smoked in the series. This Celtics team is a flawed, injured, and aging bunch. Even if they lose 4-0 to the Heat, they most certainly can leave with their heads held quite high. They've been remarkable together over the past several years.

That said, I write this with the 4th quarter about to start and the Heat leading by 11. Lebron has largely imposed his will on the game and it seems like he will not let the Heat lose. Shane has been very strong so far and Wade is having just a so-so game for him.

The game is not in Boston, so there is not much pressure on the Celtics in this game. They've done fine so far.

-Jason "I still say Heat in 5... but that 2nd quarter by the Celtics was quite something to behold" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

i wouldn't say that miami's win was easy, but they definitely showed the celts the door unceremoniously...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There is no humiliation at all in making the conference finals, even if you get smoked in the series. This Celtics team is a flawed, injured, and aging bunch. Even if they lose 4-0 to the Heat, they most certainly can leave with their heads held quite high. They've been remarkable together over the past several years.

That said, I write this with the 4th quarter about to start and the Heat leading by 11. Lebron has largely imposed his will on the game and it seems like he will not let the Heat lose. Shane has been very strong so far and Wade is having just a so-so game for him.

The game is not in Boston, so there is not much pressure on the Celtics in this game. They've done fine so far.

-Jason "I still say Heat in 5... but that 2nd quarter by the Celtics was quite something to behold" Evans
    Yup. Writing near the end, with Heat up around 15. About as expected. KG and Rondo kept 'em in it for a while, but down the stretch Wade and James took over. And, after folks have now had a good look at Pierce and Ray, you can see that they are no longer capable of doing much of anything against Miami. May be over in 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Making some absolutely brilliant defensive plays tonight.
    He dominated the 3rd quarter with his defense.