Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Don't you mean amphibious?
    Huh? Is this a joke cause I think im missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke: A Dynasty View Post
    Huh? Is this a joke cause I think im missing something.
    Yes, it's a joke courtesy of former NC State player Charles Shackleford.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yes, it's a joke courtesy of former NC State player Charles Shackleford.
    For those that do not know the story--

I was told it by Alaa Abdelnaby back in 1988. Here is about how he related it to me--
    We had beaten NC State in the semi-finals of the ACC tournament the night before.

Coach K came in the locker room before the championship game with UNC and spoke for a bit about strategy and stuff. I think he could sense we were tense and eager and he wanted to loosen us up a bit. He said, "The last thing for you guys to remember is that you are Duke. You represent a school with a proud heritage of class, dignity, education, and athletics. It is your job to protect that heritage by always thinking before you speak." Then K put a tape in the VCR and pressed play.

The tape was a TV interview done the night before with NC State center Charles Shackelford.

Reporter: Tough loss, Charles, wasn't it?
    Shackelford: Yeah, we played well but they were too good.

Reporter: The season is not over for you guys. You've got the NCAA tournament to look forward to, right?
    Shackelford: Yeah, we've had a good year and will be watching tomorrow to see who we will play in the first round.

Reporter: You really came on strong this year, Charles. How has your game developed?
    Shackelford: Well, Coach V told me I had to work hard on my game in the off season and that is what I did. I took a lot of free throws and I worked on my jump hook. I feel really comfortable with that shot. I was always good with my right hand but I took a lot of shots with my left hand... my right hand... my left hand... (pause) I would say (pause) I would say that I was... amphibious.

And the Duke locker room exploded with laughter.
    By the way, the team came out loose and relaxed against UNC in the ACC championship game of 1988 resulting in a 65-61 Duke victory.

-Jason "the story is better if you hear it rather than read it -- you have to hear Alaa imitating Shackelford's horrid accent to really appreciate it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I heard a different version

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    For those that do not know the story--

I was told it by Alaa Abdelnaby back in 1988. Here is about how he related it to me--

By the way, the team came out loose and relaxed against UNC in the ACC championship game of 1988 resulting in a 65-61 Duke victory.

-Jason "the story is better if you hear it rather than read it -- you have to hear Alaa imitating Shackelford's horrid accent to really appreciate it" Evans
    The version I heard is that Shackleford had hurt his right shoulder in a strange accident on an airplane. A reporter asked him if he would be able to play in the next game, if he couldn't shoot, and Shackleford said "Doesn't matter. I can shoot with my right hand, I can shoot with my left hand. I'm amphibious!"

Reports are that Kyrie Irving is amphibious, BTW.

The version I heard is that Shackleford had hurt his right shoulder in a strange accident on an airplane. A reporter asked him if he would be able to play in the next game, if he couldn't shoot, and Shackleford said "Doesn't matter. I can shoot with my right hand, I can shoot with my left hand. I'm amphibious!"

I recall the interview in question-- MChambers' version is correct. FWIW, I was at Duke when Alaa was there. Great guy.

Ranked #2 dumbest sports quote by this site.

http://community.comcast.net/t5/Russ...age-uid/797059

I have seen it with my own eyes, he is definitely amphibious. He has a nice little left handed floater he likes to shoot in the lane.
    Last edited by sdotbarbee; 11-04-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    I have seen it with my own eyes, he is definitely amplibious. He has a nice little left handed floater he likes to shoot in the lane.
    Wow, amplibious too?

One capable of shooting both outside and inside the lane?

NC State

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    Ranked #2 dumbest sports quote by this site.

http://community.comcast.net/t5/Russ...age-uid/797059
    Great collection. Good to see that NC State's got two of those quotes (the other is the Chuck Nevitt quote about his sister's having a baby and not knowing if he's going to be an aunt or an uncle).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
    Wow, amplibious too?

One capable of shooting both outside and inside the lane?
    Thanks grammar police! It's a little tough posting from my iPhone on the road.
    Last edited by sdotbarbee; 11-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.

All ESPN is saying right now is that "Thursday's Recruiting Insider will feature ESPN's Recruiting Director Paul Biancardi and host Lowell Galindo talking point guards.

The recruitment of highly rated guards Myck Kabongo and Quinn Cook will be discussed. Also, the status of power forward Cody Zeller's recruitment will also be featured."

Quote Originally Posted by sdotbarbee View Post
    Thanks grammar police! It's a little tough posting from my iPhone on the road.
    Please do not text and drive... stay safe my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Vasherized View Post
    Thought you guys would like this news. Same source that called Rivers to Duke back in March.

Cook & Kabongo
    Let's hope that source is a little closer to the mark on Cook than Kabongo, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Let's hope that source is a little closer to the mark on Cook than Kabongo, huh?
    And that he guesses better about Cook than he did about Selby.

According to a few tweets, Cook will announce at 5pm on ESPNU. Apparently he will be broadcasting his announcement live on Skype according to @JayJayESPNDime

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    live on skype
    Nooooo!!!! Well, I'm assuming at least he's just being skyped as opposed to making a Skype call to a coach...

Quote Originally Posted by jimrowe0 View Post
    According to a few tweets, Cook will announce at 5pm on ESPNU. Apparently he will be broadcasting his announcement live on Skype according to @JayJayESPNDime
    According to ESPN, he will be announcing during the ESPNU Recruiting Insider show, which is actually on at 4:30pm.

Will someone please keep us inform on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    According to ESPN, he will be announcing during the ESPNU Recruiting Insider show, which is actually on at 4:30pm.
    Well, if he announces at the very END of the show, that would be approximately 5:00.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Well, if he announces at the very END of the show, that would be approximately 5:00.
    Yep, understood. But if people were to read that and tune in at 5pm, it wouldn't matter that they had tuned in at the approximate time...they would have just plain missed it.

And of course, it might happen earlier in the show...