Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tim Floyd/O.J. Mayo

I just wanted to ask the question......is anyone else as disgusted as I am everytime you watch USC play? I have lost any respect that I may have had for Tim Floyd as a coach and pretty much never had any respect for Mayo to begin with. He is the defintion of someone that is just auditioning for the NBA and cares about nobody but himself. In the USC/Memphis game last night I would just watch Mayo on defense and it was ridiculous watching him do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! The only time he puts forth any effort is when he has the ball. Tim Floyd must not have any control over Mayo to allow that to go on. I really don't know why I get so upset over this because it's not like he plays for Duke or anything, but I love the game and hate to see people play it the way he does. Thank you for allowing me to vent and have a good day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    I just wanted to ask the question......is anyone else as disgusted as I am everytime you watch USC play? I have lost any respect that I may have had for Tim Floyd as a coach and pretty much never had any respect for Mayo to begin with. He is the defintion of someone that is just auditioning for the NBA and cares about nobody but himself. In the USC/Memphis game last night I would just watch Mayo on defense and it was ridiculous watching him do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! The only time he puts forth any effort is when he has the ball. Tim Floyd must not have any control over Mayo to allow that to go on. I really don't know why I get so upset over this because it's not like he plays for Duke or anything, but I love the game and hate to see people play it the way he does. Thank you for allowing me to vent and have a good day!!!
    I'm pretty disgusted by it, but its kinda old news, ya know? We knew he was going to be like this when he was a soph in HS.

I did watch a big chunk of the game last night with a couple friends and we couldn't decide who we were rooting for. Calipari is a sleez and is generally thought to be pretty dirty when it comes to recruiting (which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I hate that stuff and have no respect for coaches, programs, or fans affiliated with crap like that) but on the other hand mayo is such a jerk. I live in San Francisco now so I have semi-adopted stanford as the california team that I kind of root for, and this is for multiple reasons not the least of which is that there are so damn many USC fans EVERYWHERE and they are so obnoxious. So I ended up rooting for memphis...

Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I'm pretty disgusted by it, but its kinda old news, ya know? We knew he was going to be like this when he was a soph in HS.

I did watch a big chunk of the game last night with a couple friends and we couldn't decide who we were rooting for. Calipari is a sleez and is generally thought to be pretty dirty when it comes to recruiting (which is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. I hate that stuff and have no respect for coaches, programs, or fans affiliated with crap like that) but on the other hand mayo is such a jerk. I live in San Francisco now so I have semi-adopted stanford as the california team that I kind of root for, and this is for multiple reasons not the least of which is that there are so damn many USC fans EVERYWHERE and they are so obnoxious. So I ended up rooting for memphis...
    You are right that is old news, which is why I don't know why I let it to continue to bother me. I mean, I don't dwell on other things like I do this one. Mayo justs really gets under my skin.

yeah I couldn't bring myself to root for either team either, I was rooting against Memphis slightly more because if they don't lose sometime soon they're going to end up spending the whole season ranked #1 or 2while not playing anybody, while USC is going to have plenty of chances to be exposed later on...

What are you guys talking about? Memphis' starting backcourt is one of the best in the country. Rose averages 16 points and CDR averages 20 points. They were held to 9 point and 10 points last night, and that includes having five extra minutes. How can you possibly say Mayo did nothing on defense? That doesn't come anywhere close to making sense.

triangle and two

USC played a triangle and 2 on the two guards basically taking them out of the game. Their low point production didn't have much to do with Mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by kexman View Post
    USC played a triangle and 2 on the two guards basically taking them out of the game. Their low point production didn't have much to do with Mayo.
    And Mayo was part of the "2". He played very well defensively and he played within the defensive game plan of his coach. I honestly have no idea how someone can say he did "absolutely nothing" on defense last night.

What game were you guys watching last night? Mayo played very hard on defense last night and was a big reason why Rose and Douglas-Roberts were held much lower than their season averages. Heck, Memphis needed overtime just to break 60 points. Say what you want about Mayo, but based on last nights game alone, Mayo showed some maturity. I didn't see him force a bad shot until the last 5 min of the game, he was cheering his teamates after a good play, and he played hard on defense.

Just to add one more thing, I am not a USC or an OJ Mayo fan. I am, however, a fan of not being intellectually lazy and I'm a fan of not repeating popular myths that don't have any truth to them.

Not only did Mayo not do "absolutely nothing" on defense last night, but, in my opinion, he played outstanding defense. I've watched him and USC a few times this year and I think Mayo is a very good defender. I do think that he needs to cut down on his turnovers and work on his shot selection, but his defense looks great to me. It's also worth noting that USC is one of the better defensive teams in the country - that wouldn't be the case if one of USC's star players didn't make an effort to play defense.

i should clarify and just say that I think oj mayo is a jerk and i've been disgusted by his attitude for years, and I wasn't commenting on last night's game as much.

In terms of last night's game, I wasn't really paying attention to his defense so i can't comment too much, although he did seem to stand around on offense a bunch when he didn't have the ball in his hands. I also felt like he would step up his play, on either end, when he was guarded or guarding rose 1on1 and I don't think I need to explain why...

also, do you think its a "myth" that oj mayo is a selfish jerk who is auditioning for the NBA?

I knew he was selfish and a gunner going into last night's game and he did not dissappoint me there. He forced plenty of shots and did not move well without the ball. With that being said, I was actually impressed with Mayo last night. I thought he played the defensive game plan very well. For the most part, he moved his feetl, played the passing lanes, hustled, and did a great job of keeping the ball out of Rose's hands. Once Rose gave the ball up, Mayo was
    "in his shorts" and made him work his butt off just to get the ball back.

We all know Mayo is one and done. I was unsure of his defensive ability but last night he really showed me something.

PS: I am not a Mayo fan

also, do you think its a "myth" that oj mayo is a selfish jerk who is auditioning for the NBA?
    I think it is a complete myth that Mayo doesn't play defense at USC. So far, he's been a very good defender.

This is a summary of what I think of Mayo:
    > He's a very good defender and a very good scorer.
    > He needs to work on cutting down turnovers and his shot selection.
    > His team is better because he's on it.
    > The hype/media coverage surrounding him has been absurd.
    > He will be in the NBA next year.
    > He has done some stupid things in the past.
    > He is a very good college basketball player.

I don't really have a comment or opinion on whether or not Mayo is selfish, or a jerk, or auditioning for the NBA. Those things are too opinion-based for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I don't really have a comment or opinion on whether or not Mayo is selfish, or a jerk, or auditioning for the NBA.
    Those things are too opinion-based for me.
    fair enough, but they aren't for me! IMHO mayo is a ballhog and a gunner (he is improving there though) and I have heard almost no praise of him as a person, but have heard quite often that he is and always has been "too cool for school" amongst other things. no rumor mongering allowed, so I'll stop there, but I think he's a jerk.

no doubt his team is better b/c he is on it, though...

USC/Mayo

I've seen USC a few times this year. I am by no means a fan of anything USC related. And, I have a particular dislike for OJ Mayo (this was all before his preseason fight with a teammate). BUT, I will tell you this. They can be a very dangerous team if they continue to show defensive intensity. The defensive effort the last 2 games (vs Kansas & Memphis) were impressive and not wholly expected. Floyd's first official practices this year meant rolling out the balls and letting the team play streetball, including their opening game abroad. Part of of this was due to the limited number of players due to injury. So playing the way they did was impressive. Playing two top 5 teams in 3 days on opposite coasts is not an easy task. They should have won last night and they very easily could have beaten Kansas as well. It will be very intersting to watch this team in a very tough PAC-10.

Mayo played very well on the defensive end last night. I still wait for him to implode at some point this season. Maybe after several grind it out conference losses (by 2-3 points) he'll show his true self...

There is an appalling double standard at work where Mayo is concerned.

Substitute "Paulus" and "Scheyer" for "Mayo" and "Hackett" in the stories about Hackett's injury. Would y'all be so eager to assume that the official story was BS? No, you wouldn't.

Forget about Mayo. Daniel Hackett has always been a model citizen. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Hackett would lie about what happened.

By all accounts, Mayo has not exhibited any of the bad behaviors that one might typically expect of a one-and-done case. He goes to class, does his work, gets along well with teammates, and appears to work hard on and take pride in his defense. With a handful of exceptions, he has been good about letting the game come to him and taking what's available in the context of the offense.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-06-2007 at 09:27 PM. Reason: civility

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

Substitute "Paulus" and "Scheyer" for "Mayo" and "Hackett" in the stories about Hackett's injury. Would y'all be so eager to assume that the official story was BS? No, you wouldn't.

Forget about Mayo. Daniel Hackett has always been a model citizen. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Hackett would lie about what happened.

By all accounts, Mayo has not exhibited any of the bad behaviors that one might typically expect of a one-and-done case. He goes to class, does his work, gets along well with teammates...
    Ummm... I must have missed something. Has there been any discussion of Mayo that went beyond his play during games? Your post is the first time I've seen Hackett's name.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post

By all accounts, Mayo has not exhibited any of the bad behaviors that one might typically expect of a one-and-done case. He goes to class, does his work, gets along well with teammates, and appears to work hard on and take pride in his defense. With a handful of exceptions, he has been good about letting the game come to him and taking what's available in the context of the offense.

Get a clue.
    don't be so rude in your posts, we're supposed to keep things friendly around here.

also, your post has little do to with what we are talking about, and frankly I don't even know (or care) who this guy hackett is. no one has any idea what you are talking about...so maybe you should get a clue?

also, your post has little do to with what we are talking about, and frankly I don't even know (or care) who this guy hackett is. no one has any idea what you are talking about...so maybe you should get a clue?

I'm not sure but is Hackett the teammate that Mayo allegedly got in a fight with?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm not sure but is Hackett the teammate that Mayo allegedly got in a fight with?
    that's my guess, but I still don't give a hoot. I didn't even know mayo got in a fight with someone until it was brought up here...

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Yes, as far as I know.

Just my opinion but the times I have watched Mayo he has played pretty hard on defense.