Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Congrats to the Panthers for a very nice win! They even scored a TD in the 4th quarter today!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Article on ESPN today about how the Colts might not have Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday or Robert Mathis next year and it got me thinking how awesome would it be to pickup one of these guys in FA next year for us? I honestly would prefer Reggie Wayne first and then Mathis. Wayne is just the kind of guy JR likes on a team and with Wayne it would be almost a complete offense especially if our number 1 pick is Matt Kalil.

Qb- Cam
    Rb- Deangelo and J-stew
    Wr- Steve
    Wr- Wayne
    Te- Olsen
    Te- Shockey
    Oline- Gross, Otah, Kalil, ? and Kalil

man, the future's so bright i gotta wear shades...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Article on ESPN today about how the Colts might not have Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday or Robert Mathis next year and it got me thinking how awesome would it be to pickup one of these guys in FA next year for us? I honestly would prefer Reggie Wayne first and then Mathis. Wayne is just the kind of guy JR likes on a team and with Wayne it would be almost a complete offense especially if our number 1 pick is Matt Kalil.

Qb- Cam
    Rb- Deangelo and J-stew
    Wr- Steve
    Wr- Wayne
    Te- Olsen
    Te- Shockey
    Oline- Gross, Otah, Kalil, ? and Kalil
    I really don't believe this team needs Wayne. First off, he won't come cheap. Secondly, I think the tandem of LaFell and Naanee is coming along nicely and will only get better with an off season working with Cam.

As for Mathis he's 30 years old, do you want to spend money on a guy who is more than likely on the downside of his career?

I think the Panthers need to look at linebackers. For the second consecutive year Davis has gone down with a major injury so what are the odds he comes back 100%? Beason also suffered a major injury and while the odds are good he returns at 100%, I'd really like to see us at least consider some added depth at that position.

A quality back-up for the offensive line would also be nice. Someone who can play multiple positions on the line. He doesn't need to be an All-Pro, just a very solid veteran.

Ron Riveria let it be known he wanted the players to give back to the Panthers Fans,, and for the last couple of games, you've seen after every touchdown, a player, giving the ball to a fan in the stands,, usually a little kid..

On one of the Tampa Bay forum boards,, one of the Buc fans wrote.. with all the touchdowns the Panthers scored, if you didn't walk out of the stadium with a football you had to be pissed..

Lol,

Go Panthers. Just remember,, the Lions were 0-15 3 yrs ago..we're going to get there..

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I really don't believe this team needs Wayne. First off, he won't come cheap. Secondly, I think the tandem of LaFell and Naanee is coming along nicely and will only get better with an off season working with Cam.

As for Mathis he's 30 years old, do you want to spend money on a guy who is more than likely on the downside of his career?

I think the Panthers need to look at linebackers. For the second consecutive year Davis has gone down with a major injury so what are the odds he comes back 100%? Beason also suffered a major injury and while the odds are good he returns at 100%, I'd really like to see us at least consider some added depth at that position.

A quality back-up for the offensive line would also be nice. Someone who can play multiple positions on the line. He doesn't need to be an All-Pro, just a very solid veteran.
    Mathis? No I do not want him I just threw his name out there. As for Wayne yes! Naanee is absolutely terrible it hurts me to watch. LaFell I like but am not sold on him as a 2 receiver but very much I like him as a 3rd. Nanee runs really bad routes, has horrible hands, not overly agile, not very physical and very inconsistent he is however fairly fast (He was like 6th on the depth chart in San Diego before he got cut).

Panthers biggest needs: DT, CB, WR

Other needs: LB, OL, KR/PR

Idk what pick we will have in the draft yet or who would be available so it is hard to say who we should take 1st but OL is always the safest and tends to not bust as often. WR and DT is usually a crapshoot that is why I would like us to try to acquire a WR and DT in FA unless someone is just falling to us in the draft (Justin Blackman)

I'm in general agreement with some of the comments above on the Panther's needs.

D-Line and linebacker could use some help. So could the secondary, actually. So, basically, if I was the GM I'd focus on defense.

On the offensive side of the football, sooner or later the Panthers will have to figure out a number 1 receiver to replace Smitty. Lafell and Nannee are decent 2nd/3rd receivers, and the Panthers have 2 really good pass-catching tight ends, but whenever Smitty decides to hang it up, or finally loses that critical step, the Panthers will need someone better than Lafell to replace him. The offense could also use some help on the OL.

To prioritize, I'd probably draft help for:
    1) D-Line
    2) Linebacker
    3) O-Line
    in that order

I'd then look to see if the free agent market is going to give me a reasonable WR option. If not, convince Smitty to stay put for another year and readdress WR next year. Lord knows the Panthers passing attack wasn't suffering this year!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm in general agreement with some of the comments above on the Panther's needs.

D-Line and linebacker could use some help. So could the secondary, actually. So, basically, if I was the GM I'd focus on defense.

On the offensive side of the football, sooner or later the Panthers will have to figure out a number 1 receiver to replace Smitty. Lafell and Nannee are decent 2nd/3rd receivers, and the Panthers have 2 really good pass-catching tight ends, but whenever Smitty decides to hang it up, or finally loses that critical step, the Panthers will need someone better than Lafell to replace him. The offense could also use some help on the OL.

To prioritize, I'd probably draft help for:
    1) D-Line
    2) Linebacker
    3) O-Line
    in that order

I'd then look to see if the free agent market is going to give me a reasonable WR option. If not, convince Smitty to stay put for another year and readdress WR next year. Lord knows the Panthers passing attack wasn't suffering this year!
    Some kid named Varner is going to be in the draft. I hear he's a pretty decent WR! He'll probably be available in the middle rounds of the draft.

9F 9F 9F

Anyone watching the probowl? Cam is kinda stinking it up right now

he hasn't learned which level of "don't care" to apply to the pro bowl...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

The Charlotte Kittycats are getting a new logo.

http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/01/30/...veil-new-logo/

I like it. Better definition and shading in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

I liked the old lettering for "Carolina Panthers" better but I do like the new logo.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

This would have been a perfect opportunity to change their name to the Charlotte Panthers, a team I could openly root for! And their color has migrated from teal to parakeet blue - another strike against them. Just when they were getting interesting... dammit.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    This would have been a perfect opportunity to change their name to the Charlotte Panthers, a team I could openly root for! And their color has migrated from teal to parakeet blue - another strike against them. Just when they were getting interesting... dammit.
    Unfortunately, that was one of the selling points to the NFL when they won the franchise - by calling them the "Carolina" Panthers, they can basically lay claim to fanbases in both North and South Carolina. Playing their inagural season in Clemson, SC helped too. Some would have you believe the logo itself was designed to be shaped like the combined borders of the two states. I'm not so sure, however...

The only other NFL teams not named for a region are? New England and Tampa Bay (Tampa is the City; Tampa Bay is a body of water).

In addition, there are 3 additional teams named for states instead of cities, all of which are similar smaller market teams trying to appeal to a wider fanbase. They are the Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, and Tennessee Titans.

Personally I agree with Ozzie in that I don't like pulling for anything that has the word "Carolina" in it, so I just refer to them as the Panthers
    "There can BE only one."

since i went to South Carolina, the REAL "Carolina", i have no problem calling them the carolina panthers...

i call the other "carolina" a bunch of other names....none of which are "carolina"....

and yes, we gamecocks also say "USC" when referring to our school....

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Unfortunately, that was one of the selling points to the NFL when they won the franchise - by calling them the "Carolina" Panthers, they can basically lay claim to fanbases in both North and South Carolina. Playing their inagural season in Clemson, SC helped too. Some would have you believe the logo itself was designed to be shaped like the combined borders of the two states. I'm not so sure, however...
    I think the Patriots logo is closer to the shape of SC and NC than the Panthers.
    New-England-Patriots-Logo.gif
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New logo is an upgrade. New wordmark is too, but is nearly as bad as the old one. I too was always skeptical of the state outline meme.

I miss Sam Mills.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

cam nails down rookie of the year award...

duh...

Panthers nfl draft

With the 9th pick in the 2012 draft the XXXXXXXX PANTHERS take

Riley Rieff O LINE..

Ok, not the direction I might like to see them go but I think there is a chance it could be Rieff.

I'd like to see us go Defense backfield(Claiborne will be gone ).. Wide Reciever ( Floyd, ND might fit well ) ,, some are looking for defensive line,, Tackle maybe , stop the run..

I've read comments by Beason, and Anderson, both implying the Defense would be ok,, and Beason saying don't be upset about the draft no matter who we pick.. That could be read as,, we're going to pick an offensive player.. we'll see..

GO PANTHERS