Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Stanford up 55-47 with 6:30 left in game. Wow. Come on Cardinal

Duke and Long Beach kick off at the top of the hour. Live video at goduke.com.

Syracuse is achieving some success by pressing full court. Stanford's lead has been cut to 60-58 with the Orange going to the line to try and finish a 3-point play. It is time for Coach Dawkins to make an adjustment.
    Bob Green

Syracuse showing the poise to retake the lead. Stanford is showing its youth - going away from properly attacking the 2-3 zone. Lots of passes along the perimeter and then forcing bad shots late in the shot clock.

A tough loss for the Cardinal, but it appears Coach Dawkins has assembled a talent team that will make a lot of noise in the Pacific 12 Conference this season.
    Bob Green

Johnny's team reminds me of our FB team. Talent, hard workers but they don't seem to be able to close the deal yet. Orange had a 13-3 run at the very end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Harvard out-toughs #20 FSU to win 46-41. Can Stanford hold on against #5 Syracuse? Tied 43-43 with 13 min. left in game.
    Big congrats to Amaker! They will most likely own the Ivy League this season. I'm hoping Harvard has an incredible year, earns a 9 seed (the highest seed any Ivy team has had in a long, long while) and upsets 1 seed UNC in the second round, advancing all the way to the Elite 8 before falling to surprise 2 seed Stanford. Then Amaker gets a big money deal to take over at a big conference school leaving Harvard to return to basketball irrelevance and allowing my beloved Princeton Tigers to retake their rightful atop the Ivy League .

Tough loss for Dawkins and the Cardinal. Had the game well in hand then made a lot of "young" mistakes - bad turnovers, poor shot selection to give up a big lead at the end.

Great coaching by Johnny D to attack the 2-3 zone so effectively throughout the game until the end. I think the Cardinal have the potential to make a big run at the Pac-12 title, they should finish near the top this year.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Big congrats to Amaker! They will most likely own the Ivy League this season. I'm hoping Harvard has an incredible year, earns a 9 seed (the highest seed any Ivy team has had in a long, long while) and upsets 1 seed UNC in the second round, advancing all the way to the Elite 8 before falling to surprise 2 seed Stanford. Then Amaker gets a big money deal to take over at a big conference school leaving Harvard to return to basketball irrelevance and allowing my beloved Princeton Tigers to retake their rightful atop the Ivy League .
    I am very happy for Tommy and Johnny, two of my all-time favorites. Hope they both go far in the tourney this year, just not in any match-ups with Duke (I hated the few we have had as is -- I seem to recall K meeting Quin in the tourney, and maybe a regular season game with Tommy at Michigan that had been scheduled before he got there. Hell, I hate facing Mike Brey).

Harvard knocks off #20 Florida State... 46-41

A big win for Tommy and the Crimson; I wish I had been able to watch.
    http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/gamecast?gameId=313290108&wjb=

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    A big win for Tommy and the Crimson; I wish I had been able to watch.
    I dont know about that, from the box score it looks like it was pretty ugly shooting night for both teams. 14-14 at the half to tie for the lowest half-time score in like 25 years. Still, great win for TA.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Johnny's team reminds me of our FB team. Talent, hard workers but they don't seem to be able to close the deal yet. Orange had a 13-3 run at the very end of the game.
    Hey don't insult Dawkins' team like that. Just kidding, but in all seriousness they actually beat the teams they're supposed to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I dont know about that, from the box score it looks like it was pretty ugly shooting night for both teams. 14-14 at the half to tie for the lowest half-time score in like 25 years. Still, great win for TA.
    I looked up the detail of the write-up and points-flow of both games. This wasn't a fluke win at all for Harvard, as they led for the majority of the second half, and I don't believe ever trailed after the 8-minutes-remaining mark. Generally were up by 4-8 points. And I too prefer to see high-scoring over intense defense styles games, but there is certainly something to be said for appreciating great defense. You can't blame it ALL on just bad shooting -- these are two VERY good defensive teams. I mean, a top-20 team doesn't go scoreless for the first ten minutes of a game (!!) entirely on their own...

Gotta feel for Johnny D., as Stanford led for almost all of their game with top-10 Syracuse, but just blew apart in the last four minutes (they led with under 4:00 remaining, and still were within 1 at the 1:30 mark). Knowing JD, this team will keep learning and maturing - they are pretty darned young after all - and will be much better at closing out wins come Feb. and March. Pac-12 really better watch out! (BTW, from the embrace and extended chat right after the game, it appears that JD and Boeheim have a mutually-respectful/positive relationship. Not surprising given K's tightness with Boeheim.)

Really great to see both of these guys doing so well now. The (K coaching) tree is clearly bearing fruit!

- BD- "As a Harvard fan I'll take a "ugly" upset over a top-20 team ANY DAY" -BD

Word ...

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I am so with you on this plan.

@ BD ... There is no such thing as a Harvard fan.

Tommy and the Crimson take the Paradise Jam with a 59-49 victory over UCF. Here's to continued success for Tommy and Johnny.

When was the last time Harvard was ranked? Ever? They will likely be around #20-#22 this coming week... and they deserve to be there.

-Jason "mad congrats to Tommy -- some major programs are going to come calling soon!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Speaking of Johnny and Stanford, we may get a chance to play them next year.

Duke will be in the Battle for Atlantis next season Nov 22-24. It is a really impressive field-- Duke, Louisville, Memphis, Minnesota, Missouri, VCU, Stanford, and Northern Iowa. Seth Davis says it is likely the most impressive preseason tourney field for next season (Maui was clearly #1 this year).

--Jason "may have to take a vacation to Paradise Island next November!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Seth Davis tweeted tonight that he has Harvard at #25 on his AP Poll ballot this week. Wish it had been higher.

-Jason "FWIW, he has us at #3 and Carolina at #8" Evans

Road wins for Johnny and Tommy (Dec. 1)

Nothing earthshaking, but both Tommy and Johnny won on the road Thursday night.

Amaker's Harvard Crimson won 55-48 at Vermont to go 7-0. They are at Boston U. Friday night. They get Boston College after Christmas.

Dawkins' Stanford Cardinal won 72-49 at Seattle to go 7-1. Their only loss was a tough 69-63 loss to Syracuse in the Garden.

Stanford will face NC State in Palo Alto Sunday at 4 p.m. Hate to pull against an ACC school, but got to give Johnny D some love.

Johnny D and Stanford take out NC State 76-72 with a 17-1 run over the last six minutes to come back from 12 down in the 2nd half.

Tommy Amaker and Harvard stay perfect, dominating Seattle 80-70 and leading throughout the whole game. The victory sets up a date with #10 UConn on Thursday. Crazy as it sounds, I can actually see Harvard making it through the season with possibly only 1 loss.