Page 14 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    But is there truth to the Kentucky angle? Maybe someone can help me out here, but so far I haven't seen anything except unbounded speculation. Personally, I'm gonna go ahead and reserve judgment until I can see some hard evidence. Or even, for that matter, soft evidence.
    I could be wrong, but again I don't think Airowe would state that Kentucky leaked this (and he said it pretty definitively) if it wasn't something he had relatively intimate knowledge about. He has always been a very responsible journalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    He has always been a very responsible journalist.
    I agree completely.

I trust Airowe completely with facts about Duke basketball and Duke bball recruiting. And he's earned it, over and over.

So you're saying . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I agree completely.

I trust Airowe completely with facts about Duke basketball and Duke bball recruiting. And he's earned it, over and over.

Airowe hits the bulls-eye every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    Airowe hits the bulls-eye every time.
    I suppose? I am sure he has said one or another recruit is leaning towards Duke and that recruit goes elsewhere, but that to me isn't quite the same thing.

Coach K was asked about this today in his presser.

His response, as reported by Jack Daly via Twitter:

The NCAA will sometimes tell you about situations to watch out for, but I can’t comment on that.

I suppose? I am sure he has said one or another recruit is leaning towards Duke and that recruit goes elsewhere, but that to me isn't quite the same thing.
    I'm not sure this was really meant to be a serious statement--"Arrow hits the bulls-eye"?

But on the merits, I'd agree if Airowe reports a lean that doesn't turn into a commit, that is not inaccurate reporting--it's accurate reporting of a situation that then changes.

Shabazz would be a terrific addition. His visit was planned before the nebulous UCLA/Financial Advisor connection was reported. Coach K would never admit a known problem situation to Duke, however great his potential. Trust Coach K on this. He understands more than any one of us about the facts/risks involved. Let's welcome Shabazz with open arms and be patient. Shabazz or no Shabazz, we will be fine. We are DUKE.

Actually - no - he hasn't...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Actually - no - he hasn't...
    Harrison Barnes

Great point!

Wink Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I'm not sure this was really meant to be a serious statement--"Arrow hits the bulls-eye"?
    It was just a pun. Thank you, MCF, for getting it. I don't know what his accuracy had been, but AFAICT, he's well respected. When it comes to recruiting, no one is perfect, because sometimes recruits, being the young people they are, don't know their own minds.

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Harrison Barnes
    I think it's been more than hashed out how most feel about how Barnes treated his decision. Feel free to search "Straygator" and "Barnes". Barnes taught many on this board a serious lesson and many of us are a lot less apt to try and decipher what a teenager is thinking.

But for the record, Airowe isn't guessing...

Not exactly the type of performance I would've liked us to put on in front of Shabazz tonight. Especially on the heels of the epic comeback he witnessed at Phog Allen last weekend and the way he and his dad came away raving about everything Kansas has to offer.

one game won't change his mind...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

You don't think so? I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    You don't think so? I do.
    I agree. As a 17 or 18 year old kid (if I weren't a Duke fan), I'd be second thinking Duke after tonight

Quote Originally Posted by kingboozer View Post
    I agree. As a 17 or 18 year old kid (if I weren't a Duke fan), I'd be second thinking Duke after tonight
    Seriously? We've been recruiting him for three years. This is the same Duke team that a month ago beat the same Carolina team on a last second shot in Chapel Hill. This is the same Duke team that still may end up with a 1 seed (with an ACC tournament championship) or a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. He attended the 82-50 Duke-Carolina game at Cameron two years ago.

Is there something untoward that happened tonight that would make him have second thoughts about Duke? Or, are you saying that he would have second thoughts because we lost the game? If the latter, that's laughable.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Seriously? We've been recruiting him for three years. This is the same Duke team that a month ago beat the same Carolina team on a last second shot in Chapel Hill. This is the same Duke team that still may end up with a 1 seed (with an ACC tournament championship) or a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament. He attended the 82-50 Duke-Carolina game at Cameron two years ago.

Is there something untoward that happened tonight that would make him have second thoughts about Duke? Or, are you saying that he would have second thoughts because we lost the game? If the latter, that's laughable.
    Absolutely agree 110% !!! If a kid is so immature to make such an important decision based on one 20 minute half (Duke more than acquitted itself in the second half) then I really can't be too impressed with him. But I do think some folks are underestimating the gray matter and thoughtfulness of these kids. The decision, broadly, will be based on the criteria he and his parents have long since established, which probably center around his comfort with the coach and prospective teammates, and where he'll get the best opportunity to develop and gain exposure for the next level. I have to believe that Duke falls pretty high on that scale. And, by the way, regardless of the outcome, that game and the surrounding emotion and hoopla was pretty spectacular. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that anyway??! (And if I'm the staff I'm right now pointing out to him how he could have made a difference in that game, and generally will make this team better next year.).

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post

No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that 17/18 year old kids, for the most part, live in the now. He leaves Kansas last week after that great game they had raving about them and what they can offer him. He then comes here this weekend, with a great atmosphere and everything you could want in a basketball program, and watches us get blown out. Recruiting has changed over the past few years due to the whole one and done situation. Instead of thinking about how the player can benefit the school, the players look at how the school can benefit them. I really hate one and done and Shabazz, to me, has it written all over him. Add that to all the potential trouble he may bring with him I really hope we're careful with him.

Quote Originally Posted by kingboozer View Post
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that 17/18 year old kids, for the most part, live in the now. He leaves Kansas last week after that great game they had raving about them and what they can offer him. He then comes here this weekend, with a great atmosphere and everything you could want in a basketball program, and watches us get blown out. Recruiting has changed over the past few years due to the whole one and done situation. Instead of thinking about how the player can benefit the school, the players look at how the school can benefit them. I really hate one and done and Shabazz, to me, has it written all over him. Add that to all the potential trouble he may bring with him I really hope we're careful with him.
    Although I agree that young people Shabazz's age do indeed live primarily in the here and now, such a shallow perspective will dominate one's school decision only if the decision is largely inconsequential. In other words, Shabazz's decision, given his high profile and potentially program-changing stature, is too complicated and has too many implications to come down to whim. If he were merely a three star prospect he might indeed choose his school simply based on where he had the most fun, or something along those lines. For Shabazz, probably not. Yes, he probably has a very sweet aftertaste from the Phog and perhaps a less sweet aftertaste from CIS, but that will be only one of many factors in his decision. As the previous poster indicated, he's also been to CIS on better days. Shabazz himself seems much more sophisticated than the typical high school senior, and his father seems much more sophisticated than the typical basketball dad. I highly doubt they'll make their decision based on the outcome of a single game. Plus, he isn't making his decision today. By the time he actually sits down to decide, those emotions will fade somewhat and what will dominate are the facts. Based on simple facts, I think Duke sits fairly prettily.