Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

2012 Duke Football

With most of the recruiting saga over whose got some info on the boys of Fall? As well as predictions..

There have been several threads discussing the 2012 class, spring practice and the 2013 class as well as transfer Jeremy Clark's arrival on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by ScheyersonFire2010 View Post
    With most of the recruiting saga over whose got some info on the boys of Fall? As well as predictions..
    Before long, I'm predicting someone will broach the issue of Cut on the hot seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    There have been several threads discussing the 2012 class, spring practice and the 2013 class as well as transfer Jeremy Clark's arrival on campus.
    I think you mean Jeremy Cash, right? Anyways, he's a stud safety who transferred from Ohio State. Really excited about the upcoming season!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Before long, I'm predicting someone will broach the issue of Cut on the hot seat.
    A thread like that would fade away quickly...probably even be shut down by the mods at the mere preposterousness of it.

Ugh...we have so long to wait, I need to find a way to go into sports hibernation over the summer.
    I would recommend biding your time by reading Heather Dinich's blog on espn. It's daily, and really informative about happenings in the ACC. Not lots coming out now, and Heather herself is on maternity leave, but her stand-in is doing a decent job.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    A thread like that would fade away quickly...probably even be shut down by the mods at the mere preposterousness of it.

Ugh...we have so long to wait, I need to find a way to go into sports hibernation over the summer.
    I would recommend biding your time by reading Heather Dinich's blog on espn. It's daily, and really informative about happenings in the ACC. Not lots coming out now, and Heather herself is on maternity leave, but her stand-in is doing a decent job.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc
    Also, and I'm not huge on tuting my own horn, but I'll be writing about Duke Football more in the coming weeks and starting position breakdowns as well as season pojections over at my website for those that are interested. I'm no insider, just a fan but if you are looking for some musings on Duke Football I got them.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    I think you mean Jeremy Cash, right? Anyways, he's a stud safety who transferred from Ohio State. Really excited about the upcoming season!
    Yes. That was a test to find out who's really reading about football. You passed!

Have you guys heard of 4* 2014 recruit jonathan Lloyd? He goes to a high school (Southern Alamance) in the same conference as mine and I actually used to play against him (sacked him once actually ) It looks like OSU and UNC are his favorites but Duke has made an offer as well. Heres a link to his rivals profile.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n-Lloyd-133598

SI's Stewart Mandel chimes in:

Mark it down: Duke WILL reach a bowl game for the first time since 1994.
    The Blue Devils lost their last seven games last season, but they held Virginia Tech to 14 points and narrowly lost to bowl-bound Wake Forest (24-23). They return 17 starters, including third-year quarterback Sean Renfree, Cutcliffe's latest protégé/project who's had eight 300-yard passing games. And most importantly, the Blue Devils play in a very unimposing division (Miami figures to struggle, North Carolina is going through a coaching change and even the Hokies seem vulnerable). If Duke can score nonconference wins over FIU, North Carolina Central and Memphis and split the foursome of Miami, UNC, Virginia and Wake Forest, then it needs just one big upset (Clemson? Georgia Tech?) to go bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Good deal, as long as we're not on the cover we're good as gold.

Duke may be in an unimposing division but Duke also gets FSU and Clemson from the other division. Trade them for BC and Maryland and we're not talking big upsets to become bowl eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant Jeremy Clarkson, presenter of Top Gear.

In all seriousness, I am very excited for the possibilities next year. I'm hoping our experienced offense gets sorted out, and our young defense can step up in a big way. I'm looking forward to seeing how Renfree & Vernon can tear up defenses with a bigger, older O-line, and some healthy running backs.

From what I hear from people close to the program, the players and coaches are very excited about next year, but very determined to do better than years past. (<-- that's not rumor-mongering, is it?)

While I agree that the Blue Devils will play in a bowl game soon I'm not convinced yet that it'll be this coming season. I need to hang around Ozzie a bit more I guess I think we'll win at least one game that "we're not supposed to win" but beyond that I'm hesitant to make any predictions. We're definitely improving on the field, just not in regard to the wins/losses columns. The onus is on the upperclassmen such as Sean Renfree, Sydney Sarmiento, Justin Fox, Conor Irwin, Ross Cockrell, Dave Harding, Conner Vernon, and others to be leaders on the field. I sincerely believe that each one will be in their own unique way. They need to make it clear to the younger guys (via both actions and words) that the days when "well, Duke gave 'em all they could handle" is uttered after another tough loss are less frequent. These young men are laying the groundwork for (even) more successful seasons and I believe that process continues this year. With an effective running game a result of an improved offensive line, a more stout defense, and a sound kicking game, hopefully they'll surprise some people...and it just so happens that I like surprises.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Well if he's right he can yell told you so and if he's wrong he can say "They have to do it sometime".
    But I think he's right and my predictions are buried around the board here somewhere. When we know where we are going my ticket will be stamped..I'm looking so forward to TBCC hauling our grills to host the best tailgate at the bowl game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

When we know where we are going my ticket will be stamped..
    I'm right there with you. Although I didn't make our most recent bowl game in 1995 against Wisconsin a friend and I did make the trip down to 'Bama for our 1989 All American Bowl game with 24th ranked Texas Tech. Suffice it to say that the beating we took there on historic Legion Field as the 20th ranked team nationally left a bad taste in my mouth which still lingers to this day. The only way to get this bad taste out of my mouth is to see our guys win their next bowl game. It's just a few more weeks until our first game and I'm getting excited at this coming season's prospects simply typing this. The ongoing improvement of the Duke football program continues against FIU on Sept 1st! I predict a 5 win season although if we keep our turnovers to a minimum and catch a few breaks, we could win 6.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I'm right there with you. Although I didn't make our most recent bowl game in 1995 against Wisconsin a friend and I did make the trip down to 'Bama for our 1989 All American Bowl game with 24th ranked Texas Tech. Suffice it to say that the beating we took there on historic Legion Field as the 20th ranked team nationally left a bad taste in my mouth which still lingers to this day. The only way to get this bad taste out of my mouth is to see our guys win their next bowl game. It's just a few more weeks until our first game and I'm getting excited at this coming season's prospects simply typing this. The ongoing improvement of the Duke football program continues against FIU on Sept 1st! I predict a 5 win season although if we keep our turnovers to a minimum and catch a few breaks, we could win 6.
    I went to Tampa for the Hall of Fame Bowl. I was struck by how the Wisconsin folks really knew how to tailgate, while we mainly had a tent with folks drinking cocktails before the game. This bowl, we need a big and committed turn-out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I went to Tampa for the Hall of Fame Bowl. I was struck by how the Wisconsin folks really knew how to tailgate, while we mainly had a tent with folks drinking cocktails before the game. This bowl, we need a big and committed turn-out.
    In his own way, Coach Cutcliffe has been nurturing the development of more vital game day traditions at Duke. The tailgate activity sited in the Card Gym Lot was his idea. I think that our tailgate traditions will continue to be different from others', but they will definitely be something to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Only "Hot Seat" Cut is on is when he gets gets into his convertible after having left the top down in the sun.

Wisconsin -- Tough Competition

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    In his own way, Coach Cutcliffe has been nurturing the development of more vital game day traditions at Duke. The tailgate activity sited in the Card Gym Lot was his idea. I think that our tailgate traditions will continue to be different from others', but they will definitely be something to look forward to!
    Wisconsin is the home of bratwurst and frankfurters, has a huge alumni base, and sports large attendance at home games. It is indeed formidable competition in tailgates. We have a long way to go. In fact, a Wisconsin native here is Colorado threw a party he called an "old-fashioned Wisconsin tailgate."

A more reasonable comparison is Navy, which with a small dedicated base of alumni still has marvelous parties that cover the parking lot at Navy-Marine Corpsd Stadium. Yeah, I know, the Navy brass and many naval and marine officers are only an hour away in DC. But the tradition is there.

sagegrouse

Agreed, and hats off to you (and others) setting the new foundation!