Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Recruiting

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Best case scenario

Roscoe chooses to join Duke in 2010.

The following choose Duke in 2011:

Quincy Miller (get the 2000 post thread ready - this one's important)

Beal or Rivers (I hope they just put the offer out there and give it to the first one that wants it. They're both great kids. No waiting - no drama)

Plumlee 3 (The table is set for ya big guy.)

If this unfolds, even the ungulate death star cannot top it.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    well right now i wouldn't even bet on getting tokoto. roy is after him. and it'll be longer than 4 months by the time he commits
    Well, if Roy is after him why don't we just give up now? I'm not betting on Tokoto, who after all is a 2012 commit, but we have as good a shot as anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    Roscoe chooses to join Duke in 2010.

The following choose Duke in 2011:

Quincy Miller (get the 2000 post thread ready - this one's important)

Beal or Rivers (I hope they just put the offer out there and give it to the first one that wants it. They're both great kids. No waiting - no drama)

Plumlee 3 (The table is set for ya big guy.)

If this unfolds, even the ungulate death star cannot top it.
    Personally, I think the best case scenario is both Beal and Rivers. Roscoe would help next year and I'll be happy if he comes to Duke, but he's not a critical piece and top 10 recruits are significantly more important to the blueprint of a team than top 30 recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerstud2210 View Post
    well right now i wouldn't even bet on getting tokoto. roy is after him. and it'll be longer than 4 months by the time he commits

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, if Roy is after him why don't we just give up now?
    Yup, new strategy. Just give up now. People really got that holy spirit round these parts!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yup, new strategy. Just give up now. People really got that holy spirit round these parts!
    hahaha

mine was a bit of sarcasm, but nbd

How much have we really seen from Marshall Plumlee? I trust K, but last time I checked Marshall seemed like a Ryan Kelly without the outside shot.

Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    How much have we really seen from Marshall Plumlee? I trust K, but last time I checked Marshall seemed like a Ryan Kelly without the outside shot.
    Except 2 inches taller with a larger frame and better athleticism. He's definitely more of a center and he's 2 years younger. We really need a center from the class of 2011, whether it's Marshall or someone else.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit.
    Could not agree more. These kids have become great actors. I bought into the newest hole (he who shall no longer be mentioned by name!! 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F) hook, line, and sinker, with all the surprising K on his Bday, taking multiple unofficials to Duke, raving about his great relationship with K, unzipping his top to reveal Duke shirts underneath, etc, etc, etc, It was all a ruse and most all of us bought it. The laugh is now on us.

So no more for me. Once you commit and become a Duke kid for real I will pay attention to you, otherwise, I am no longer interested.

So here's to Tyler Thornton, Kyrie Irving, and Josh Hairston.. Guys, we love you already, and can't wait to see you suit up for your first game in Cameron Indoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozer View Post
    Could not agree more. These kids have become great actors. I bought into the newest hole (he who shall no longer be mentioned by name!! 9F, 9F, 9F, 9F) hook, line, and sinker, with all the surprising K on his Bday, taking multiple unofficials to Duke, raving about his great relationship with K, unzipping his top to reveal Duke shirts underneath, etc, etc, etc, It was all a ruse and most all of us bought it. The laugh is now on us.

So no more for me. Once you commit and become a Duke kid for real I will pay attention to you, otherwise, I am no longer interested.

So here's to Tyler Thornton, Kyrie Irving, and Josh Hairston.. Guys, we love you already, and can't wait to see you suit up for your first game in Cameron Indoor.
    Totally agree, I see more " He's a Duke lean" and " He's a lock" more times on this board than any other board. You know what even the HOLES don't "lock guys up" on their board and they get the guys! Changing of the guards on this site will be good

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Except 2 inches taller with a larger frame and better athleticism. He's definitely more of a center and he's 2 years younger. We really need a center from the class of 2011, whether it's Marshall or someone else.
    Boy that's a tough one. If only we had some way to predict how he would develop over the next two years. Maybe if we knew of another big man that came from the same coach or school. Or if we knew someone in his family that had been a basketball player and could compare how they developed ...

What would really be good is if we could get to know the kid, maybe find some way to get him to come to campus, maybe even play some pick-up with some of the present players ...

You know, there are so many of those still-growing 6'11" rising juniors with athleticism that would fit in at Duke, we shouldn't rush into this ...

What? We already offered? How could we?

is there a record for sarcasm in a single post? i hope this is a contender. i tried

Not for Duke of late.

Is there anyway Duke could go after Jelan Kendrick or Terrance Jones?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Personally, I think the best case scenario is both Beal and Rivers. Roscoe would help next year and I'll be happy if he comes to Duke, but he's not a critical piece and top 10 recruits are significantly more important to the blueprint of a team than top 30 recruits.

Both Beal and Rivers are shooting guards (I know, we don't like labels, but bear with me). With two really good off-guards already in the mix, the brew might be a bit spicier with a big wing that can really defend. In this case, isn't a dynamic bigger wing better than redundancy at a position? The three-guard option is already in place. I think Roscoe adds another option to the team - you know, the whole sum of the parts idea. We would all be thrilled with Roscoe, Beal or Rivers, Marshall P., and Miller, just as we would be thrilled with Beal and Rivers, Marshall P., and Miller. The first option just appeals to me a little more in terms of team options and matchups.

"Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit. "

Except that Irving, Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton were all considered Duke leans. As were Singler, Scheyer, and Henderson. And so forth. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Let's just do one thing... Let's not call Roscoe, Mp3, Beal, Rivers, Topoko or even Miller a Duke lean at any time. Every time that seems to happen we lose the recruit. "

Except that Irving, Dawkins, Hairston, Thornton were all considered Duke leans. As were Singler, Scheyer, and Henderson. And so forth. And so on.
    Okay.. but also were Monroe, Boynton, Patterson, Barnes, Wright. And where did they end up?

Okay.. but also were Monroe, Boynton, Patterson, Barnes, Wright. And where did they end up?
    I agree. No one is a Duke lean from now on. Talking about recruits is one thing, but we should keep our expectations very, VERY low until they commit. With any of the top notch guys, they are all looking at multiple schools, so Duke (or anyone else) will never have even a 50% of landing any one person.

The statement "Every time that [a public Duke lean] seems to happen we lose the recruit" is factually incorrect. Had I said "every Duke lean goes to Duke" then you would have a point. But I didn't say that. So your point is irrelevant to my point.

Having posted on this board since the beginning, I'm not remotely surprised to find the sky-is-falling-mentality is still alive and well. But I do find it curious. So, Duke will only have three top-30 recruits and a freshman All-American joining the team next year. And yes, I'll say it. Roscoe Smith is a Duke lean. So, sue me.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The statement "Every time that [a public Duke lean] seems to happen we lose the recruit" is factually incorrect. Had I said "every Duke lean goes to Duke" then you would have a point. But I didn't say that. So your point is irrelevant to my point.

Having posted on this board since the beginning, I'm not remotely surprised to find the sky-is-falling-mentality is still alive and well. But I do find it curious. So, Duke will only have three top-30 recruits and a freshman All-American joining the team next year. And yes, I'll say it. Roscoe Smith is a Duke lean. So, sue me.
    Thank goodness we always have Jim as a voice of reason.

Zoom out

Some one said this a few months ago, and it applies here I think. Everyone is a bit edgy today because of the Barnes thing. We've become a little unc centric. If we look beyond this comparison, and look at things nationally, Duke is in really good shape. Roscoe would be a VERY nice addition, and he wouldn't be linked to Barnes, he would be linked to Duke. We should hope he "leans" this way. (couldn't resist)