Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 PGA Championship

The season's final major is being played this week at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte. It is only the third time that the PGA Championship has been held in North Carolina: Once at Pinehurst in 1936, and once at Tanglewood Park in 1974. Quail Hollow, though, has been a regular Tour stop for many years, hosting the Wells Fargo event (under various names) since 2003. So the players know the course well, although holes 2 through 5 have been re-worked (including adding a new par-3 fourth hole).

Some obvious storylines:

(1) Jordan Spieth seeking to complete the career Grand Slam, after winning the British Open last month.

(2) Rory McIlroy has won twice at Quail Hollow, and finished second another time, but has a new caddie.

(3) Hideki Matsuyama just overtook Spieth in FedEx Cup points, and set the course record at Firestone CC in Akron this past Sunday with a 61, to win the Bridgestone.

(4) Could Rickie Fowler (a past Quail Hollow winner as well) break through with his first major?

(5) Could Phil Mickelson, playing in his 100th major, add to his major trophy collection?

Should be an interesting week, starting with today's announcement (rumor of it leaked yesterday) that in 2019, the PGA Championship will move from August to May on the calendar. So no more "Glory's Last Shot" after next year at Bellerive.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Apropos of nothing, I remember it being a very big deal at one point when I was back in school in Charlotte that Michael Jordan played at Quail Hollow. No word on how much money was wagered.

Thanks for starting this thread. I had not heard about the PGA being moved to the spring. I don't like change, so I don't like ("old man shakes fist at sky").

I heard they changed the first hole to make it a 515-yard par 4. Seems outrageous, but then I remember that a lot of these guys hit their drives 290-310. A 300-yard drive would leave 215, which is a distance they are used to for their par 3s, and that many of them can reach with a 4-iron or a 5-iron.

As a weak recreational golfer who hits a driver maybe 230 on a good day and a 4-iron maybe 165 or 170, that monster 515-yard par 4 is the equivalent of a 400-yard par 4 for me. So, I don't feel sorry for them at all!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Apropos of nothing, I remember it being a very big deal at one point when I was back in school in Charlotte that Michael Jordan played at Quail Hollow. No word on how much money was wagered.
    When it comes to amounts MJ might wager, I'm thinking the ceiling is the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

I heard they changed the first hole to make it a 515-yard par 4. Seems outrageous, but then I remember that a lot of these guys hit their drives 290-310. A 300-yard drive would leave 215, which is a distance they are used to for their par 3s, and that many of them can reach with a 4-iron or a 5-iron.

As a weak recreational golfer who hits a driver maybe 230 on a good day and a 4-iron maybe 165 or 170, that monster 515-yard par 4 is the equivalent of a 400-yard par 4 for me. So, I don't feel sorry for them at all!
    Some of the longer guys will probably play driver and then wedge for 515. I'm guessing most will have at most a 7-iron in. These guys are freaks.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsn...stance-102775/

Heck, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson are hitting irons 300 yards these days.

http://golfweek.com/2016/06/14/tbx-e...tours-longest/

I don't think Rory has it in him. Rank speculation: Spieth's wizardry on the green has totally gotten in Rory's head, and he won't be able to putt well enough to win.

It will be interesting to see if Spieth can keep it going. It's amazing how good he is despite not being among the big hitters. His short game is just so so good.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Some of the longer guys will probably play driver and then wedge for 515. I'm guessing most will have at most a 7-iron in. These guys are freaks.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsn...stance-102775/

Heck, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson are hitting irons 300 yards these days.

http://golfweek.com/2016/06/14/tbx-e...tours-longest/
    Yep, it's ridiculous how far these guys can hit it and control it. They quite commoly hit 350+ yards with their driver. Johnson has topped 400 yards with his driver.

But for reference, 215 yards is more in the territory of a 6- or 7-iron if you typically hit a 300-yard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I don't think Rory has it in him. Rank speculation: Spieth's wizardry on the green has totally gotten in Rory's head, and he won't be able to putt well enough to win.
    I have been trying to find a link/source for this (to no avail thus far), but I was listening to a Sirius XM broadcast the other day that said something to the effect that Rory's made putts on Sunday at the Bridgestone totaled, like, 33 feet. That's less than two feet per hole, and unbelievably low. Their point was that Rory wasn't making anything at all, as all of his makes (en route to a 1-under 69) were tap-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I have been trying to find a link/source for this (to no avail thus far), but I was listening to a Sirius XM broadcast the other day that said something to the effect that Rory's made putts on Sunday at the Bridgestone totaled, like, 33 feet. That's less than two feet per hole, and unbelievably low. Their point was that Rory wasn't making anything at all, as all of his makes (en route to a 1-under 69) were tap-ins.
    Hey, that's about my average distance on made puts!

Now, about the rest of my game...

In case you want to watch 5'9" 160 lbs Rory McIlroy carry a 3-wood 315 yards and carry the driver 350.

http://www.golfchannel.com/media?gui...ZRLmoNj6Z1sM6r

Round 1

Seems to me the winner yesterday was, by and large, the golf course. Thorbjorn Olesen posted an early 67 (-4), and Kevin Kisner posted the same score late in the day. A few guys came in at 68 (-3), including US Open champ Brooks Koepka. But there were only 22 players under par, and some big names really struggled (looking at you, Lefty, and defending champ Jimmy Walker). Tee times are flipped today: Those who played in the morning yesterday will play in the afternoon today, and vice versa.

Not a lot of low scores this morning. A lot of people to play, but Rickie looks to be in decent shape if this trend continues.

Not a lot of low scores this morning. A lot of people to play, but Rickie looks to be in decent shape if this trend continues.
    Kisner matched yesterday afternoon's 67 with another 67 this morning, giving him a four-shot lead at present. Rickie is five shots back, at -3 after a 1-under 70 this morning.

Kisner matched yesterday afternoon's 67 with another 67 this morning, giving him a four-shot lead at present. Rickie is five shots back, at -3 after a 1-under 70 this morning.
    Yep. I had assumed that Kisner would come back to the field, instead of increasing his lead.

Yep. I had assumed that Kisner would come back to the field, instead of increasing his lead.
    And then there's Hideki Matsuyama and his 64, to grab a share of the lead at -8. J-Day's 66 puts him two back. Weather also intervened, and may likewise affect Moving Day tomorrow.

Weather also intervened, and may likewise affect Moving Day tomorrow.
    Isolated Thunderstorms and Scattered Thunderstorms are forecast all afternoon today:

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USNC0121:1:US
    Bob Green

A *lot* of golf to play, but Kisner is playing like someone who is going to hold on to this lead.

A *lot* of golf to play, but Kisner is playing like someone who is going to hold on to this lead.
    He did so today, but needed a bit of luck on 18 to pull it off. By all rights, he should have been in the creek left of 18, but his approach hit the concrete bridge and ended up in the rough. He managed bogey to keep a one-shot lead over Matsuyama and Chris Stroud. The Green Mile should hold some drama tomorrow.
    Last edited by Tripping William; 08-12-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Don't see a Snowman often on the Tour.