Page 25 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735751255251025 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Talking Oh NO!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If you want a VAST selection of beers on tap, travel on down to the Flying Saucer at the corner of Harrington and Davie(?), just a block off Hillsborough St. in Raleigh for about 75 beers on the wall(don't ANYBODY dare start a song with that ) and 150-200 bottles from which to choose. The food won't be as good as at the Pit, however .
    You asked for it...
    481 posts of beer on the thread,
    481 posts...
    You drink one beer,
    You review it here...

This would go the "wrong" way.

482 posts of beer on the thread--

Blue Point Toasted Lager

Went to a new store today. It is stocked with tons of craft beers. Really, really impressive selection.

Based on the very helpful employee's suggestion, I purchased a six of Blue Point Toasted Lager. (I bought a lot more than this, but this is what i am having right now.) Blue Point is a Long Island, NY brewery. The Toasted Lager pours a nice, clear amber. Good head retention. Mild malt aroma. Flavor is (surprise, surprise) of toasted grain. Slights hops balances the slight sweetness. Flavor intensified as it warmed up a bit (I apparently pouted it too cold.)

All in all, this is a nice beer. A lager with lots of flavor. I would buy this again.

Wink PW-ing for an ad?

IIRC, about a dozen or so, including Lost Coast Downtown Brown Ale, Carolina Pale Ale, one of the Chimays(or Duvel), a kolsch, a pilsner and that is the end of my memory. OZZIE and I each had the Terrapin with dinner and stopped with one. You oughtta give them a call, or, better yet, pay them a visit, get a sampler plate and an ale or two and post your review for us.
    Any SWEETWATER brews?

FWIW, we have no beer ads appearing on this thread, but oh yeah, we have the "10 Tips To Lose Belly Fat." Hence, I am going to repeat "Sweetwater" as often as possible in the hopes that we may get an ad to pop up.

SweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwater SweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwater

... you get the point. Now that I think of it, I may have figured out devildeac's 1000th post. Sort of like Ozzie's classic, only with a variety of beer names. That would be cool ... and may help skew the algorithm that selects the ads that pop up!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Any SWEETWATER brews?

FWIW, we have no beer ads appearing on this thread, but oh yeah, we have the "10 Tips To Lose Belly Fat." Hence, I am going to repeat "Sweetwater" as often as possible in the hopes that we may get an ad to pop up.

SweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwater SweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwaterSweetwater

... you get the point. Now that I think of it, I may have figured out devildeac's 1000th post. Sort of like Ozzie's classic, only with a variety of beer names. That would be cool ... and may help skew the algorithm that selects the ads that pop up!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    1. no, unfortunately
    2. a reasonable guess

Loose Cannon

The second new beer I tried was Clipper City Brewery's Loose Cannon. This is a self-proclaimed "Hop3 Ale." (The three should be in superscript, which I can't figure out how to do here.)

This was a really, really good beer for me. I love hoppy beers. The thing that stands out about this beer is the smell - the hops and citrus smell wallops you over the head. One of the most aromatic IPA's I have ever had. The flavor backs up the smell: floral hop bitterness, citrus, and a caramel-ish finish.

I give this beer an A. Might have to visit one of my Duke buddies in Baltimore to get this on tap.

Well things got crazy here in Denver and I haven't really experimented over the past few days and thus haven't posted much. I'm currently finishing my last 471 IPA, but hopefully this week will finally get to the beer float with Breck Vanilla Porter.

Enough local breweries are starting to put out their spring beers (prematurely though; it was 80 in Denver yesterday and 25 and snowy today...I really wanted a 2 Below!) and I'll try to get a sampling this week and post thoughts.

For tonight I'm having a Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy IPA. This beer is from Boulder, however I have to confess I've never had anything from this brewery before.

Not at all what I expected. It isn't very pungent or overwhelming on any level, and I'm not sure what makes this an IPA. Other than color, some citrus, and a bit of bitterness, it isn't much of an American IPA--it isn't even much of an American Pale Ale. The citrus is more orange than grapefruit, but the dominant flavor is honey, which makes it a very sweet beer. Would I recommend it if you were in a serious IPA mood? No. But, I'd buy this again. It is enjoyable and would be great as a summer-on-the-patio kind of beer. I can't find the ABV, but it seems low, which makes a decent session beer.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout

Last night I went to a brew pub and had several tasty beers. (Black Lager, Pale Ale, and a Porter.) I won't review the beers, since they are not available outside the restaurant.

However, when I got home, I was ready for a nightcap. I tried an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. This beer is made by North Coast Brewery, which is located in Fort Bragg, California. It is 9% ABV.

This is a powerful beer, in appearance and taste. My wife had a sip and did not like it at all. I thought it was great. I look forward to having another tonight in front of the game.

The beer pours black. The aroma is, as you'd expect, of roasted malt. Some hops, too. Burnt coffee is the primary taste, with a hint of chocolate. However, the hops are noticeable, too, which provide a nice balance. An intense beer. Ymm, beer.

Why is my post count stuck on 53?

ymm, beer(or something to do with the #1000)

Finally, some spare time to post after being stuck on 999 for days. Let's see now, my favorite 1000 vacation spots-nah. My favorite 1000 work days-nah. What else could there be? Oh, yea, this is the beer thread so here are 1000 beers I have enjoyed. OZZIE tried 1000 GTHCGTH and overloaded the character count by a gazillion so I figured I would do this the Billybreen way and post 1000 times with one beer in each post(jk). I think something reasonable from a character standpoint and personal time committment would be more reasonable so I will try about 10-12 posts with about 100 beers in each one, sorta/kinda alphabetically by brewery. Here goes:

Aass-Bock, Juleol, Pilsner, Amber, Winter
    Abbaye de Leffe-Blonde, Brown
    Abbaye de Maredsous-6, 8, 10
    Abita-Amber, AndyGator,Purple Haze, TurboDog
    Adnams-Bitter, Nut Brown, Extra
    Alaskan-Amber, Bread up Bock, ESB, Frontier, Smoked Porter, Stout, Summer, Winter
    Alcatraz-Wheat, Red, Pale Ale, Stout, Strong, Porter
    Anchor-Liberty, Our Special Ale(1994-2006 for 13 total), Old Foghorn(1994-2006 for 13 total), Porter, Small, Steam, Summer, Wheat
    Affligem-Dubbel, Triple, Noel
    Allagash-White, Double, Triple, Anniversary, Grand Cru
    Anderson Valley-Barney Flats oatmeal Stout, Belk's Bitter ESB, Boont Amber, Brother David's Double/Triple, Deep Enders Porter, Hop Ottin' IPA, Poleeko Gold, Wheat, Winter Solstice
    Augustiner-Dunkel, Heller Bock, Maximator, Oktoberfest, Pils, Weissbier
    Avery-(for rockymtdevil)-14'er ESB, Czar, 11, Ellie's Brown, 14, Hog Heaven, IPA, Maharaja, New World Porter, Old Jubilation, Out of Bounds Stout, Reverend, Salvation, Samael's Ale, 10, The Beast, Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest

With that, I conclude the letter A and humbly submit my 1000th post and hopefully garner an All ACC designation(I'm not worthy: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap)

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Last night I went to a brew pub and had several tasty beers. (Black Lager, Pale Ale, and a Porter.) I won't review the beers, since they are not available outside the restaurant.

However, when I got home, I was ready for a nightcap. I tried an Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. This beer is made by North Coast Brewery, which is located in Fort Bragg, California. It is 9% ABV.

This is a powerful beer, in appearance and taste. My wife had a sip and did not like it at all. I thought it was great. I look forward to having another tonight in front of the game.

The beer pours black. The aroma is, as you'd expect, of roasted malt. Some hops, too. Burnt coffee is the primary taste, with a hint of chocolate. However, the hops are noticeable, too, which provide a nice balance. An intense beer. Ymm, beer.
    I discussed this earlier this winter. This is a marvelous annual winter offering and I have savored it for several years and will continue to do that each winter they brew it, as I do the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and the Victory Storm King Imperial Stout.

I discussed this earlier this winter. This is a marvelous annual winter offering and I have savored it for several years and will continue to do that each winter they brew it, as I do the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and the Victory Storm King Imperial Stout.
    How does it compare to Avery's Czar? I had one last night during the second half of the game.

Finally, some spare time to post after being stuck on 999 for days. Let's see now, my favorite 1000 vacation spots-nah. My favorite 1000 work days-nah. What else could there be? Oh, yea, this is the beer thread so here are 1000 beers I have enjoyed. OZZIE tried 1000 GTHCGTH and overloaded the character count by a gazillion so I figured I would do this the Billybreen way and post 1000 times with one beer in each post(jk). I think something reasonable from a character standpoint and personal time committment would be more reasonable so I will try about 10-12 posts with about 100 beers in each one, sorta/kinda alphabetically by brewery. Here goes:

Aass-Bock, Juleol, Pilsner, Amber, Winter
    Abbaye de Leffe-Blonde, Brown
    Abbaye de Maredsous-6, 8, 10
    Abita-Amber, AndyGator,Purple Haze, TurboDog
    Adnams-Bitter, Nut Brown, Extra
    Alaskan-Amber, Bread up Bock, ESB, Frontier, Smoked Porter, Stout, Summer, Winter
    Alcatraz-Wheat, Red, Pale Ale, Stout, Strong, Porter
    Anchor-Liberty, Our Special Ale(1994-2006 for 13 total), Old Foghorn(1994-2006 for 13 total), Porter, Small, Steam, Summer, Wheat
    Affligem-Dubbel, Triple, Noel
    Allagash-White, Double, Triple, Anniversary, Grand Cru
    Anderson Valley-Barney Flats oatmeal Stout, Belk's Bitter ESB, Boont Amber, Brother David's Double/Triple, Deep Enders Porter, Hop Ottin' IPA, Poleeko Gold, Wheat, Winter Solstice
    Augustiner-Dunkel, Heller Bock, Maximator, Oktoberfest, Pils, Weissbier
    Avery-(for rockymtdevil)-14'er ESB, Czar, 11, Ellie's Brown, 14, Hog Heaven, IPA, Maharaja, New World Porter, Old Jubilation, Out of Bounds Stout, Reverend, Salvation, Samael's Ale, 10, The Beast, Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest

With that, I conclude the letter A and humbly submit my 1000th post and hopefully garner an All ACC designation(I'm not worthy: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap)
    I was wondering when this post would finally show up! Congrats Devildeac.

ymm, beeer

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    How does it compare to Avery's Czar? I had one last night during the second half of the game.
    Haven't had a Czar for 2-3 years I bet but they are both a bit more coffee-like than chocolate-like with mild bitterness from the hops and dark roasting. I would enjoy/recommend either on a cold winter eve by the fire late at night or as a dessert beer after dinner.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I was wondering when this post would finally show up! Congrats Devildeac.
    thank you. I am whipped tonight and have a loonngg day tomorrow but will try to submit the B list tomorrow night(that is the list of breweries starting with B whose beverages I have enjoyed)

ymm, beer

The B list:

Baltimore Brewing(DeGroen's)-Dunkel, Marzen, Pils, Lager, Amber, Weizen, Maibock, Weizen Bock
    Bass-Pale Ale, IPA
    Bateman's-Victory, XXXB
    Belhaven-80 Shilling, Scottish Ale, St. Andrew's, Wee Heavy, 70 Shilling, 90 Shilling
    Big Sky-MOOSE DROOL BROWN ALE,Scape Goat, Trout Slayer, Powder Hound, Summer, Honey, IPA
    Birra Moretti-Doppio Malto, LaRossa
    Birra Peroni-Peroni
    Blue Moon-White, Pumpkin
    Boston Beer(Sam Adams)-Longshot APA, Longshot Black Lager, Longshot Hazlenut Brown, Longshot Special English Ale, Longshot Bock, Longshot Molasses Coffeee Stout, Longshot Old Ale, Black Lager, Boston Ale, Boston Lager, Brown Ale, Chocolate Bock, Cranberry Lambic, Cream Stout, Double Bock, Imperial Pilsner, Hefeweizen, 1790 Root Beer(made with roots-really), Honey Ginger Ale(made with honey and ginger, what else), Honey Porter, IPA, Octoberfest, Old Fezziwig, Pale Ale, Scotch Ale, Summer Ale, Triple Bock 94 and 95, White, Winter Ale, Winter Lager and Wheat
    Boulder-Amber, Harvest, Gold, Stout, Porter, EPA, Hazed and Infused, Mojo IPA, Wrigley Red
    Boulevard-Pale Ale, Bully Porter, Wheat
    Breckenridge-Autumn, Amber, IPA, Oatmeal Stout, 471, Vanilla Porter
    Brewery Ommegang-Hennepin, Rare Vos, Ommegang, 3 Philosophers, Witte
    Bridgeport-Black Strap Stout, Blue Heron Bitter, Blue Heron Pale, Porter, Coho Pacific Pale, Ebenezer, ESB, IPA, Nut Brown, Old Knucklehead 94-05 (for 12), Pintail ESB
    Brooklyn-Black Chocolate Stout, Brown, East India Pale Ale, Lager, Monster 94-07 (for 14 more), Pilsner, One, Pennant Pale Ale, Winter Ale

I think that will complete the B's. I am tired and have worked up a thirst with that list

I'm loving the list. It's reminding me of beers I haven't had in years and need to pick up!

I just sent off a package to my dad containing a bottle of 2008 Maharaja (was supposed to be two bottles but I got thirsty last night) and Great Divide's Old Ruffian Barley Wine. Anyone had the second of these? I'm having him compare it to Avery's Hog Heaven and might give it a try myself this weekend.

I finally did the beer float, but my experimenting might have been too much. I used the Breck Vanilla Porter and, because there was no toffee ice cream at 711, B&Js Oatmeal Chocolate ice cream. The ice cream with the beer was great--very rich, and the vanilla mixed well with the oatmeal and chocolate flavor. The beer with the melted ice cream? Not so much. Came out very bitter.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I'm loving the list. It's reminding me of beers I haven't had in years and need to pick up!

I just sent off a package to my dad containing a bottle of 2008 Maharaja (was supposed to be two bottles but I got thirsty last night) and Great Divide's Old Ruffian Barley Wine. Anyone had the second of these? I'm having him compare it to Avery's Hog Heaven and might give it a try myself this weekend.

I finally did the beer float, but my experimenting might have been too much. I used the Breck Vanilla Porter and, because there was no toffee ice cream at 711, B&Js Oatmeal Chocolate ice cream. The ice cream with the beer was great--very rich, and the vanilla mixed well with the oatmeal and chocolate flavor. The beer with the melted ice cream? Not so much. Came out very bitter.

sorry to hear about your beer float. I may try another this weekend. Haven't had Old Ruffian in several years so no memory here.

ymm, beer

The C list:

Caledonian-Mc Andrews, Golden Promise, Dark , Amber, Pale, IPA
    Capital City-Amber, Porter, Kolsch, Pale, Stout, Alt, Bitter, Brown, Hefeweizen, ESB, Octoberfest
    Carolina Brewing-Brown Ale, Pale, Ale, IPA, Spring Bock, Wheat, Octoberfest
    Catamount-Porter, Winter
    Celis-Dubbel, Grand Cru, Pale Bock, Pale Rider, Raspberry, White, Golden
    Chicago-Legacy, Big Shoulders Porter
    Chimay-Red, Cinq Cents, Grand Reserve
    Clipper City-Gold, Pale, Loose Cannon, Uber Pils
    Coopers-Sparkling, Dark, Pale Ale, Stout
    Corsendonk-Pale, Brown, Christmas Ale

A nice assortment there.