Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

First time for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    Among the criticisms I have of futbol, clock wasting at the end of a game is way down the list. Not a big deal. I don't know whether the analogy above holds, however, because no other sport has a continuously running clock. If it were the case that the clock stopped when the ball went over the end line and didn't start again until the goalkeeper took his free kick and put it back in play, that would be different. As it is, however, a stalling team can change the guy taking the inbounds pass, ask for a different ball, overplay the tumble after being fouled, walk to the free kick spot instead of jog, etc., all while the clock is moving. There's not really an equivalent to that in basketball or football or hockey, where either the game is live and the clock's running, or the ball/puck is dead and the clock's stopped. There is a qualitative difference between delays that seek to prevent the game from actually being played while the clock runs, and those that seek to maximize the ticking off of time while the ball is in play. [To be clear, I have no issue whatsoever with playing keepaway, booting the ball far downfield or out of bounds or whatever else can happen in the run of play that intentionally burns time. I don't think that's what anyone else was alluding to, but I don't personally recall what it is the Mbappe did yesterday that seems to be the source of concern]

That said, soccer players can do that stuff outside the last few minutes of the game, too. It always takes several seconds for a team to retrieve the out of bounds ball and put it back into play, and guys lie around on the grass for 15 seconds after getting tripped up all the time. That running clock, no action happening time is just part of the game. As long as those things happening at the end of the game aren't killing an egregiously longer number of seconds than they do in the middle of the game, there's really not much to complain about. You wouldn't want a running clock when the ball goes out of bounds at 54 minutes, and then a stopping clock when the ball goes out of bounds in the 86th minute (a discrepancy in the treatment of time that, though I understand the policy behind it, bothers me about American football).
    There is somewhat of a comparison for baseball here. Home team is down 6-0 in the bottom of the fifth with storm clouds rolling in, and every stalling tactic is employed.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen a trippier goal?
    Well, there was the Haight-Ashbury match of '68 . . . .

England is a little lucky that they didn't call that penalty at the end of the half. Lovren was mugged.

England missed several great chances for a second. Croatia seemed to build some comfort as the half went on.

I think if Croatia doesn't even it up withing the next 20-30 minutes, it's over. They look a bit slower to the ball, probably gassed from their last 2 games which went extra time.

Exceptional goal from Perisic. Croatia has been really frisky so far this half - should be an entertaining last 20 (and maybe 50) minutes.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I am so, so, SO sick of that September based cheer/horn section. I would rather have 50 people standing behind me in my office blasting vuvuzelas all day for a month than hear that one more time. Great song, extremely tiresome chant when done continuously for seemingly the entire match.

Man, I could watch this match forever. Both guys just throwing everything at it. Some of the best groundstrokes you can imagine. So much fight from both guys. It's amazing tennis.

So good that I'm posting in the wrong thread! Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Man, I could watch this match forever. Both guys just throwing everything at it. Some of the best groundstrokes you can imagine. So much fight from both guys. It's amazing tennis.

So good that I'm posting in the wrong thread! Sorry.
    There's a tennis match going on? Who knew?

I do kind of hope England makes the final just so that Wimbledon has to eat it for not adjusting their schedule to accommodate England playing in the WC final during Wimbledon play. Would really be curious to see how that played out with regards to attendance and TV ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    There's a tennis match going on? Who knew?

I do kind of hope England makes the final just so that Wimbledon has to eat it for not adjusting their schedule to accommodate England playing in the WC final during Wimbledon play. Would really be curious to see how that played out with regards to attendance and TV ratings.
    The Queen will not be amused.

Likely, for the second time this week.

These refs are terrible. Turning a great game into a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    These refs are terrible. Turning a great game into a mess.
    Agreed. I'm not sure who they've screwed worse, but they have been bad

I think the ref has been at least "equal" to both teams. Perhaps a few missed fouls, but it's hard to evaluate when so much faking. I'd rather it be that way than calling too many fouls personally...

I had picked Croatia to be in the final long ago, but was concerned with extreme fatigue due to two recent grueling overtimes. They have been so impressive iin this second overtime with mid field brilliance and energy, wow. And still looking to score! I was discussing this game yesterday with a young attractive lady from Mexico, we both agreed that Croatia's mid fiedl when it plays to its potential has been the most talented in this World Cup, and could have a huge impact on both defense and offense. Quite impressive from a nation of about 4 million that saw so much recent trauma. Really looking forward to what they can do against France!
    Last edited by NM Duke Fan; 07-11-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Croatia's trainers and conditioning coaches deserve a raise.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Yep. About 25 minutes into the 2nd half England was dead. Croatia never seemed to lose energy and even seemed to get stronger as the game went on. They deserved to win. England had 1 shot on goal other than one from about 50 yards out with 2 minutes left.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    No kidding. I had expected the match to sort of fall apart in the second half thinking Croatia would run out of gas. But Croatia looked much stronger at the end. Pretty amazing.

We need penalty collars

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think the ref has been at least "equal" to both teams. Perhaps a few missed fouls, but it's hard to evaluate when so much faking. I'd rather it be that way than calling too many fouls personally...
    I didn't think the theatrics in this match were quite as bad as in some of the previous ones, but it was still really annoying to see it when it did happen. About half way through the match, it hit me what the fix for this should be.

The ref needs to have a "penalty collar". When the ref sees someone writhing in agony, they just need to tell the player, "Either get up and play, or I'm slapping the collar around your neck". The collar's function is to induce a "reminder" to the player if at any time in the next, say two minutes or so, the player exceeds 75% of his known full running speed. And the clock starts when you stand up.

The collar has no impact if the player is legitimately hobbled in some way, since they are going to be moving slowly. And if it's play acting, they may think twice about the value of their performance.

Yeah, I know it's impractical and not going to happen - but it would still make me feel better sometimes.

If the line, "Dance mailman, dance" from a classic "Cheers" episode rings a bell, you understand exactly how the collar works.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    There is somewhat of a comparison for baseball here. Home team is down 6-0 in the bottom of the fifth with storm clouds rolling in, and every stalling tactic is employed.
    Have you been around any travel baseball/softball tournaments where the games have a time limit? I was an assistant a couple years ago and decided to quit when our head coach told players to take pitches until they got two strikes and call time out to re-tie their perfectly tied shoes to run out the clock. Despicable in my opinion.