Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm selling naked calls to any takers on the big baller league!
    Probably a safe bet, but still picking up nickels in front of a steamroller.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    weeelllp, fortunately gambling is legal now 😂

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    One man gathers what another man spills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    One man gathers what another man spills.
    My ceiling is not my roof.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    With all the rain we are getting this week, I am hoping my roof doesn't become my floor

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    My ceiling is the premium less taxes.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    With all the rain we are getting this week, I am hoping my roof doesn't become my floor
    Don't know where you live, but we are in the NC mountain area. We dumped out 1 3/4 inches from our 5 inch rain gage yesterday and put it back. Today it was filled to overflowing and it is still raining. We heard 5.65 inches and still coming. Our softball is cancelled until further notice since we will need a boat to get on the fields. Biblical in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Don't know where you live, but we are in the NC mountain area. We dumped out 1 3/4 inches from our 5 inch rain gage yesterday and put it back. Today it was filled to overflowing and it is still raining. We heard 5.65 inches and still coming. Our softball is cancelled until further notice since we will need a boat to get on the fields. Biblical in nature.
    Asheville here. Hey, neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Maybe we should change the name of this thread. I haven't heard anything from Wendell's mom lately, so it appears she's cooled off.

Can't say that for some of the forum members.
    Maybe she hasn’t.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/a...213802009.html

“They treat you like a piece of property. Period. Point blank. They take things away from you, they talk bad to you, they’re disrespectful to you,” Kylia Carter is quoted as saying during her son's pre-draft party last week. “The act of getting paid is not what makes a difference, the difference is that in the NBA [players] are respected in the role that they’re in. Whatever it is they’re doing, they have a voice and they’re respected. In college, you have no voice. It’s a system set up that they drop you in and tell you what to do — you be a rebounder, shot-blocker, you take all the shots, nobody else can shoot. My child never got to show his full set of skills. He never got to do that.”
    Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/a...#storylink=cpy
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Maybe she hasn’t.

“They treat you like a piece of property. Period. Point blank. They take things away from you, they talk bad to you, they’re disrespectful to you,” Kylia Carter is quoted as saying during her son's pre-draft party last week. “The act of getting paid is not what makes a difference, the difference is that in the NBA [players] are respected in the role that they’re in. Whatever it is they’re doing, they have a voice and they’re respected. In college, you have no voice. It’s a system set up that they drop you in and tell you what to do — you be a rebounder, shot-blocker, you take all the shots, nobody else can shoot. My child never got to show his full set of skills. He never got to do that.”
    And further into the article, Wendell agrees with his mom. This is a direct hit against K.

Well, that is a shame. I'm not quite sure how much more playing time Wendell could have amassed as he played in every game but I'm dismayed to think he was miserable the whole time.

Gosh, what torture he must have endured.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I found the SI article interesting but also found some of the sentiments to be confusing.

On the one hand I get the Carters’ frustrations with the NCAA. On the other hand the article talks about the Carters reluctance to declare for the NBA after one year of college citing his stellar academic history, the fact that he was accepted to Harvard, and his interests outside of basketball.

Isn’t part of being a team figuring out how to maximize the collective talents of the whole?

Isn’t the fact that a player can chose where they wish to attend a pretty big voice as opposed to throwing your name in a draft and being told who now owns your “rights”?

???

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    And further into the article, Wendell agrees with his mom. This is a direct hit against K.
    She could also be hinting about other players too like Gary and Duval.
    Anyway I agree it does seem to be directed against K but under the guise of the NCAA.

I wonder what she will say if Wendell becomes a role player in the NBA? I don’t think he will but from my uneducated view of both the NBA and college (or at least Duke) it’s team first.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

She could also be hinting about other players too like Gary and Duval.
    Anyway I agree it does seem to be directed against K but under the guise of the NCAA.

I wonder what she will say if Wendell becomes a role player in the NBA? I don’t think he will but from my uneducated view of both the NBA and college (or at least Duke) it’s team first.
    Anyway, I have a prediction. Mom and Dad are moving to Chicago to be with Wendell Jr. and "help out." Mom even said she might move in with him -- "no, I'm living by myself," said the son. But still, the idea is there... After six months, Wendell Jr. will start asking about a trade.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Maybe she hasn’t.

We've surely got trouble!
    Right here in River City!
    Remember the Maine, Plymouth Rock and the Golden Rule!
    Oh, we've got trouble.
    We're in terrible, terrible trouble.
    That game with the fifteen numbered balls is a devil's tool!
    Oh yes we got trouble, trouble, trouble!
    With a "T"! Gotta rhyme it with "P"!
    And that stands for Pool!

Mrs. Carter is a binary, apocalyptic thinker if there ever was one. Her speech is saturated in that lingo. It's high on drama and low on subtlety.

Maybe she hasn’t.

I watched the video... I don't know when the video was shot, but Mrs. Carter, to me, is definitely directing her anger at the NCAA and its system... not Duke. And Wendell may be agreeing to his mom's anger at the NCAA. I'm not sure I get that either was angry at Duke. Maybe I missed the whole point...

If this kid and his mom are talking poorly about Coach K they will have crossed a line in the sand from which there is perhaps no coming back. Coach K’s main purpose at Duke University is to help guide the young men under his tutelage into becoming the best they can be as a basketball player, as a student, and most importantly, as a person. Rather than cast aspersions on Coach K, Mrs, Carter should instead be thankful that her son got the opportunity to be a pupil of one of the great teachers and leaders in the history of college athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    If this kid and his mom are talking poorly about Coach K they will have crossed a line in the sand from which there is perhaps no coming back. Coach K’s main purpose at Duke University is to help guide the young men under his tutelage into becoming the best they can be as a basketball player, as a student, and most importantly, as a person. Rather than cast aspersions on Coach K, Mrs, Carter should instead be thankful that her son got the opportunity to be a pupil of one of the great teachers and leaders in the history of college athletics.
    You know, I was very uncomfortable with all the sugar coating and deference shown to Mama Carter - on this forum - when she came out with her first absurd tirade. I was angry then, and a little uncomfortable stating so.

Well now she's doubled down...and now Wendell has joined the battle apparently. I've got news for you mama, we didn't use and abuse Wendell. He didn't create anything new for Duke that hasn't been going on for 35 years. He stepped into a spotlight and in front of a fan base that's been built by names like Banks and Gminski and Ferry and Laettner and Hill and Hurley...and on and on for years. Wendell didn't create that. He simply climbed aboard. We were Duke fans before Wendell, and will be after.

HE's now a multi-millionaire, honing his skills for less than a year at Duke under K. If you think that's exploitation, or slavery, then sorry - you're not thinking.

The only thing that held Carter back, or limited his ability to showcase his entire game, was his inability to play defense without fouling. He logged a lot of minutes riding the pine because of silly fouls.

Maybe she hasn’t.

I am not sure how much pros are respected. If you perform well- you are lauded but if you fail to deliver the criticism is intense. If Wendell is not the answer in Chicago he will hear it. I wish Wendell all the best. It is unfortunate that he had a bad experience at Duke but college ball is not for everyone. In retrospect they probably should have stayed out a year or gone to smaller place where Wendell was the man. What they don’t seem to understand is that when you play on a team of many excellent players it is up to you to stand out. Duke prepares kids to be in a pro environment. We will see if Wendell will stand out at the next level.