Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good thread and I'll offer this:
    I don't think his #3 goes in the rafters because Grayson's numbers/accomplishments do not warrant it. This coming from a big fan of Grayson. There are too many great players that do not have their jerseys up in the rafters, so Grayson will just have to go down in Duke history as one of my favorites.

But if I had to list the name of players that have given their all for Duke University, Grayson would be at the top of my list. He's been a great student athlete with emphasis on student(do you hear me cheats), he's been a player that doesn't mind going to the floor for loose balls or even into the stands for that matter. He stepped up his freshman season to take the place of Rasheed in the rotation and pretty much save our postseason. He stayed around for 4 years because he loves Duke University. His senior year, he deferred to our talented freshmen for the betterment of the team. He has asked to get the ball down low to Marvin and Wendell and in the meantime he's been asked to hunt his shot. That can't be easy.
    Grayson has too many fans(some Duke fans) list his temper tantrums as reason to not like him. I wonder if those fans have not had transgressions in their life and would be the first to cast stones upon Grayson. I know I couldn't. Sorry to get on this rant, and I guess there's another thread for this but I just had it on my mind. I'm going to enjoy the rest of this season with our freshmen and our senior captain. I'll miss them. God bless and GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    I have not and do not advocate jersey retirement. I am only saying that he should be given some respect instead of the holier than thou criticism of some Duke fans. Also, his monetary sacrifices were vastly more that the other players mentioned. He was in the conversation for national player of the year. Were any of the others?
    No they weren't. McBob was considered a lottery pick before he decided to return to Duke. Some even mentioned top 5 pick. POY has no barring on your monetary value to the NBA. Brunson/Graham - two of the POY frontrunners - aren't exactly future NBA All-Stars.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    No they weren't. McBob was considered a lottery pick before he decided to return to Duke. Some even mentioned top 5 pick. POY has no barring on your monetary value to the NBA. Brunson/Graham - two of the POY frontrunners - aren't exactly future NBA All-Stars.
    Grayson certainly was considered a lottery pick after his sophomore season.

Grayson certainly was considered a lottery pick after his sophomore season.
    No he wasn't. Grayson was considered a first rounder. Not a lottery pick.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

No he wasn't. Grayson was considered a first rounder. Not a lottery pick.
    I beg to differ, sir.

I beg to differ, sir.
    All dated from his sophomore year. They ALL say first round pick. If he was lottery - or potential lottery - they'd mention that.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...o1rghril8z48ax
    https://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...ft-2016-return
    https://nesn.com/2016/04/grayson-all...junior-season/
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...return-to-duke

Yea he was always projected in the 18-30 range. Never a lottery guy.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Yea he was always projected in the 18-30 range. Never a lottery guy.
    I still think he deserves much respect. I guess I'm outnumbered.

I still think he deserves much respect. I guess I'm outnumbered.
    I don't think this is about respect. This is about his draft status.

He was projected low enough in the first round that it made sense to come back to try to improve his stock. Unfortunately for him, it blew up in his face that season and he had no choice but to try again this season.

I don't question his love for Duke or anything; I just think he gambled a bit his junior season to try to get higher and had no option his senior season.

That said, regardless of his sacrifice and the motives, it doesn't mean he should get his jersey retired.

He was projected low enough in the first round that it made sense to come back to try to improve his stock. Unfortunately for him, it blew up in his face that season and he had no choice but to try again this season.

I don't question his love for Duke or anything; I just think he gambled a bit his junior season to try to get higher and had no option his senior season.

That said, regardless of his sacrifice and the motives, it doesn't mean he should get his jersey retired.
    Then again, he might just have loved his time at Duke University. We really don't know what went through Grayson's mind. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Then again, he might just have loved his time at Duke University. We really don't know what went through Grayson's mind. GoDuke!
    I'm not doubting he did. But Jabari Parker also said he loved his time there. As did Jahlil Okafor.

And both left to be lottery picks.

I don't think leaving early and loving Duke have to be mutually exclusive. And I wouldn't have blamed Allen for leaving after his sophomore season at all if he'd been promised a top 10 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Apropos of jerseys in rafters and whatnot...
    I think there is a non-insignificant proportion of Duke fans who don't think Grayson has been the best representative/ambassador for the program. Sure, he has shouldered an inordinate amount of pressure and criticism, but he has also invited a lot of it. I don't/wouldn't support his jersey being retired, and I know a lot of other Blue Devils who feel similarly.

/Hey, look at that elephant in the room!
    And yet, it might be fair to say that Grayson's transgressions put together don't add up to the foul that wasn't called on Joel Berry against Virginia in the ACC Tournament. That is a fair perspective, in my opinion.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Precisely.

It is totally possible and perfectly reasonable to acknowledge that Grayson is worthy of our appreciation and respect, and that he’s been a four-year player largely due to an unanticipated decline in his performance after his sophomore season, and that he’s been partly a victim of the heightened scrutiny all Duke players endure, and that many of his image problems are partly self-inflicted.
    The above series of observations are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Profile looks a lot like Trajan too...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    A fun game while we wait for the games to start. Can you name this former Duke player? I've listed his career stats below, alongside Grayson Allen's which are remarkably similar. No Googling!

Code:
                   Min  Pts  FG%  3PT% FT%  Reb Asst Stl Blk TO
    Player X       33.0 14.4 40.6 38.1 86.1 3.6 3.1  1.4 0.2 1.5
    Grayson Allen  27.6 14.1 43.4 38.3 83.4 3.2 3.0  1.0 0.1 1.7
    Trajan Langdon 28.9 14.5 45.1 42.6 86.2 2.9 1.9 .9 .2

Apparently I have a lot of free time also. Can you name this player?

PPG. RPG. APG. SPG. BPG. FG%. FG3%. FT%
    Marvin Bagley. 21.1 11.5. 1.6. 0.9. 1.0. 60%. 37%. 62%
    Player X. 22.2. 10. 2.2. 1.6. 0.9. 45%. 34%. 70%

Hint: He was a one-and-done
    He won a National Championship
    He was not a concensus first team AA

My understanding was that after his sophomore year, he and the academic support staff came up with a plan to graduate in three years. So he came back, overloaded on clssses in the summer and fall semester, and the plan was for him to leave after his junior year with his degree. I would assume he felt like the NBA would still be there so it was a way to fulfill his dream of graduating plus having an NBA career.

Then all the injuries threw a wrench into his plans. I don’t know if he would have gone first round after his junior year, and I also don’t know if he was even healthy enough for the combine. I thought I remembered him having surgery for a herniated disk last summer. Anyways, his career has had many ups and downs, hopefully it can end where it started with another title.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post

Sorry about my chart lol—I did the best I could

Carmelo Anthony

Melo? He wasn’t 1st Team AA?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Nobody that I'm aware of has ever argued that Scheyer's jersey should be retired
    Clearly, you don't remember Jumbo.