Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Virginia Tech has the team that can put up a lot of points against Duke if the D isn't there. I hope i'm wrong, but this game could be a close one. Hopefully Duke is starting to make strides in the right direction, watching the past few games (including the end of the GT game) isn't having me feeling too confident.
    That's probably an understatement. The range of possibilities that wouldn't surprise me include Duke winning by 10+ BUT it also includes VaTech winning by 10+. It's like I said -- are we going to be able to do anything defensively against this team at all? Or are they going to score wide open threes and layups on us all night, particularly in transition? Yes, I know they'll have trouble stopping us, too. The game will be played at a high pace (projected 73 possessions by kenpom); if VaTech scores 1.3 ppp to our 1.15 ppp, for example, that's 95-84 Hokies.

Let's see if Coach K can put a scheme out there that will stop them from hanging 85 to 100 on us. It might be zone. It won't be the soft (i.e. no ball pressure or directional control) M2M played against SJU and UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Virginia Tech has the team that can put up a lot of points against Duke if the D isn't there. I hope i'm wrong, but this game could be a close one. Hopefully Duke is starting to make strides in the right direction, watching the past few games (including the end of the GT game) isn't having me feeling too confident.
    right . If you watched these guys out hustle UNC .. UNC who beat us to a lot of defensive rebounds.. you see the reason for concern. This is a team built to beat us. Very quick and hustle to long rebounds. We need to win at Cameron so we could aford a loss in Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    That's probably an understatement. The range of possibilities that wouldn't surprise me include Duke winning by 10+ BUT it also includes VaTech winning by 10+. It's like I said -- are we going to be able to do anything defensively against this team at all? Or are they going to score wide open threes and layups on us all night, particularly in transition? Yes, I know they'll have trouble stopping us, too. The game will be played at a high pace (projected 73 possessions by kenpom); if VaTech scores 1.3 ppp to our 1.15 ppp, for example, that's 95-84 Hokies.

Let's see if Coach K can put a scheme out there that will stop them from hanging 85 to 100 on us. It might be zone. It won't be the soft (i.e. no ball pressure or directional control) M2M played against SJU and UNC.
    Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    right . If you watched these guys out hustle UNC .. UNC who beat us to a lot of defensive rebounds.. you see the reason for concern. This is a team built to beat us. Very quick and hustle to long rebounds. We need to win at Cameron so we could aford a loss in Virginia
    Agree with both of these (and 907's post they both quote).

It will be a dark day when someone outhustles Duke in Cameron. If that happens, my concern-o-meter may pop up a bit. Not as worried about the W or L -- I want to see all-out effort, results be damned.

Personally, I think Robinson will light us up, if this season holds to form. Robinson reminds me a lot of Shamorie Ponds.

Hopefully the rest of VT doesn't show up, or Duke manages to find a consistent offensive effort all night. Otherwise, might be a disappointing Valentine's Day.

7:00 PM on Valentine’s Day??? Enjoy the game. We’re having another couple over for a valentines dinner. I know better than to even mention that there is a basketball game on. If we win I’ll watch the replay. On the 15th!

Ash Wednesday also.

It's a weird day for Dukie Catholics with a significant other.

Ash Wednesday also.

Nothing says "I love you" better than a nice, cooked salmon. Small potions, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Personally, I think Robinson will light us up, if this season holds to form. Robinson reminds me a lot of Shamorie Ponds.
    There's only one way to neutralize one Justin Robinson... Send in the other.

jrobduke.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nothing says "I love you" better than a nice, cooked salmon. Small potions, of course.
    Love potions? Or witch's brew? Or would those only be for non-Catholics?

I would prefer a sliced and diced hokie, well-smoked.
    This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
    No trees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.

I'd much prefer roasting/poaching/grilling/brining/frying/smoking one of these:

0bf840e0de3b99b3698e085a66ca481d--virginia-tech-hokies-tech-tech.jpg

Don't really care what temperature either, just as long as it's well done and little remains after 40 minutes of basketball.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Love potions? Or witch's brew? Or would those only be for non-Catholics?
    A potion that helps our defense would be nice. But not your significant other's defense. As long as it is consensual, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I would prefer a sliced and diced hokie, well-smoked.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'd much prefer roasting/poaching/grilling/brining/frying/smoking one of these:

0bf840e0de3b99b3698e085a66ca481d--virginia-tech-hokies-tech-tech.jpg

Don't really care what temperature either, just as long as it's well done and little remains after 40 minutes of basketball.
    Ah, no meat for me. But I can make stock from the carcass for Thursday I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    7:00 PM on Valentine’s Day??? Enjoy the game. We’re having another couple over for a valentines dinner. I know better than to even mention that there is a basketball game on. If we win I’ll watch the replay. On the 15th!
    This is the reason the Wife and I are celebrating Valentines Day tonight!!! Of course she doesn’t know this yet. She thinks it’s to avoid the rush at a swanky restaurant. (Tomorrow at 7:00 she will probably figure out my real motivation, and I’ll end up watching the game on my phone in the doghouse.)

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Hopefully the rest of VT doesn't show up, or Duke manages to find a consistent offensive effort all night. Otherwise, might be a disappointing Valentine's Day.
    This game worries me a lot. As has already been said, VT is built to beat this Duke team. High scoring, great shooting, high energy and hustle. I can't see M2M or 2-3/1-3-1 zone slowing them down (or, to be clear, Duke's M2M or zone). If/when it turns into a race to 100 points, I worry that Duke will just chuck a lot of 3's a la the last 12 minutes of the UNC game.

I'd like to see more run for O'Connell. His slimness probably will be less of a detriment in this game as opposed to playing someone like UVA, and his shooting, slashing, and length on defense are good fits. In contrast, I see this game being a problem for Duval - defensive liability, shooting liability.

RE: hustle. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant, and this is likely a topic for its own thread, but hustle and "want to" are huge concerns of mine for this team. I turned on the St. John's game early in the second half and immediately told my wife we would lose that game. I could see it in the faces of the players. It was almost a resignation like, "oh well, today's not our day." When they slapped the floor later in the game, I just didn't believe them. They later proved me right. I just don't see any fire in these guys. Grayson obviously has fire but is consciously tempering it. There's no Quinn Cook to rally everyone. I'll stop there, but to bring it back on-topic, the Va Tech game is very winnable with fire and hustle, and extremely loseable [sic] without it...

Quote Originally Posted by LngdnAlger View Post
    This game worries me a lot. As has already been said, VT is built to beat this Duke team. High scoring, great shooting, high energy and hustle. I can't see M2M or 2-3/1-3-1 zone slowing them down (or, to be clear, Duke's M2M or zone). If/when it turns into a race to 100 points, I worry that Duke will just chuck a lot of 3's a la the last 12 minutes of the UNC game.

I'd like to see more run for O'Connell. His slimness probably will be less of a detriment in this game as opposed to playing someone like UVA, and his shooting, slashing, and length on defense are good fits. In contrast, I see this game being a problem for Duval - defensive liability, shooting liability.

RE: hustle. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant, and this is likely a topic for its own thread, but hustle and "want to" are huge concerns of mine for this team. I turned on the St. John's game early in the second half and immediately told my wife we would lose that game. I could see it in the faces of the players. It was almost a resignation like, "oh well, today's not our day." When they slapped the floor later in the game, I just didn't believe them. They later proved me right. I just don't see any fire in these guys. Grayson obviously has fire but is consciously tempering it. There's no Quinn Cook to rally everyone. I'll stop there, but to bring it back on-topic, the Va Tech game is very winnable with fire and hustle, and extremely loseable [sic] without it...
    I disagree re: hustle, particularly in the St. John's game. Duke made a good run to get back into it, but just fell short.

I think they just haven't figured out that they can't just turn it on whenever they want and win. The early season comeback wins against Texas and Florida were actually detriments, I think. They gave a false sense of security.

Ash Wednesday also.

Protestants do Ash Wednesday too but I don’t go to that service. Looks like a B grade horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Why? What happens after the guests leave on the 14th? Is there an expectation for something?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Why? What happens after the guests leave on the 14th? Is there an expectation for something?
    Further discussion of this topic should probably move to the off topic board. Perhaps the fitness thread?

Ash Wednesday also.

Check, check and oh, yeah, it is my birthday.

I'm watching it!

So, Alex's "slashing" is a plus for him, compared to Trevon's slashing ability? And Alex's "length" is a good fit but Trevon's 6'9.5" wingspan and 8'3" standing reach are not? And Trevon is a "defensive liability" but Alex is... what?

RE: hustle. I'll try not to let this turn into a rant, and this is likely a topic for its own thread, but hustle and "want to" are huge concerns of mine for this team. I turned on the St. John's game early in the second half and immediately told my wife we would lose that game. I could see it in the faces of the players. It was almost a resignation like, "oh well, today's not our day." When they slapped the floor later in the game, I just didn't believe them. They later proved me right.
    I was at the game. Duke fell behind (not, in my opinion, for lack of "wanting" it), then went on a 16-4 run to (briefly) take the lead. With 38 seconds left in the game, with the shot clock down to its last second, Shamorie Ponds (a 25% three-point shooter for the season) put up an awkward, body-twisted, seemingly desperate three-pointer that went in, essentially winning the game for St. John's.

My question to you is, if that unlikely shot had missed and Duke had scored to win the game, would that have proven you wrong?