Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I sure hope they get hammered. But I have this sneaking suspicion they're going to skate.

Quote Originally Posted by utahdevil View Post
    I sure hope they get hammered. But I have this sneaking suspicion they're going to skate.
    Credible position. Very Zen like. How about as a haiku?

Hope they get hammered
    This sneaking suspicion though
    That the Cheats will skate

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Relax, the hammer is coming. Tomorrow is my birthday, this has to have cosmic significance.
    Really, you were born on Friday the 13th?

Will tomorrow be bad luck for heels or for those of us waiting for the heels to get their due?

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Jay Bilas Retweeted InsideCarolina

After all these years, released same day as Late Night with Roy where an NCAA title banner is raised. You just can’t make this $&@% up...

Oh, I don't know Jay, perhaps the egregious exploitation of primarily African American athletes being shunted through fictitious academic charade involving African American Studies is more of the "you can't make this $&@% UP.
    He may very well just be pointing out the irony of this. It is potentially poetic though.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    He may very well just be pointing out the irony of this. It is potentially poetic though.
    Come on. We know he isn't.

Good summary from ESPN as to where things stand and how they got here:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...e-panel-friday

Jay Bilas has combined two thoughts into one. (1) The NCAA as a regulatory body is deeply flawed. (2) Roy Williams is an honorable guy.

Those two objectively reasonable separate thoughts have been combined in Jay's mind to reach a non sequitur: The NCAA's investigation of UNC-CH is unjust.

It doesn't follow. I'm a Bilas fan. He's just wrong about this.

I can (swallow) agree with Jay that Roy is a nice guy. And I do agree with him that the NCAA is flawed in a lot of ways.

But Roy and UNC-CH deserve to be hammered by the NCAA on this crap. And neither NCAA flaws nor Ol' Roy's being a good guy makes it not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukelogger View Post
    I guess I'm of the opinion that "no way in hades uNC doesn't know what to expect" which will be "a slap on the wrist" and billy goat nation celebrating the announcement as vindication.

No matter what happens, my opinion will forever be the same - egregious, unprecedented cheating occurred and the 2005 and 2009 championships (and probably 1993) are not legit and they never will be.
    You just insulted every Cub's fan that has ever flown the "W".

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I was a Cubs fan growing up, because I watched the games on WGN and liked the music between innings when they cut to commercial! Everyone around me pulled for the Braves and jumped on the bandwagon in the 90s. But not this guy!

I'm no longer a baseball spectator, but was happy to see the "W" flown after the WS. My apologies!

Quote Originally Posted by utahdevil View Post
    Which is probably what will happen. Any other expectation is just masochism.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Credible position. Very Zen like. How about as a haiku?

Hope they get hammered
    This sneaking suspicion though
    That the Cheats will skate
    This is fantastic! If you were a tarheel, they'd make you a Rhodes Scholar for this effort.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Really, you were born on Friday the 13th?

Will tomorrow be bad luck for heels or for those of us waiting for the heels to get their due?
    I even turned 13 on a Friday the 13th in October. Doesn't get any spookier than that. In this case I'm only asking for ONE THING on my birthday, and that's for tomorrow to be even spookier for UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good summary from ESPN as to where things stand and how they got here:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...e-panel-friday
    This is good. Well timed summary of where we are until tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I even turned 13 on a Friday the 13th in October. Doesn't get any spookier than that. In this case I'm only asking for ONE THING on my birthday, and that's for tomorrow to be even spookier for UNC.
    Well, well, well. If the Cheats skate, we'll know somebody didn't blow a candle out properly and screwed us all.

They deserve to be. Have you ever been near one?

If the cheaters skate, then there should be a lot of GPA improvements at universities all over the country in the coming semesters. The precedent will be set. Cheat away!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    If UNCheat can respond the afternoon after they get the allegations that means they already know what they are.
    With Roy telling Little there won't be much punishment, I have to thank they are going to get off with a much lesser punishment than I feel like they really deserve.
    I'm in the camp that they should vacate the last 20 or so years of wins and titles, be banned from the postseason for a while and lose scholarships, and Roy needs to step down. Unfortunately none of those things probably happen.
    I have not read the entire thread so if this thought has been mentioned please ignore this comment.

UNC may already have a response ready that states they are appealing the penalties based on...the various arguments they have already made public. This type of response immediately after the NCAA sends out its announcement will be enough for UNC fans to still enjoy LNWR and Homecoming.

Of course if UVA beats UNC in football they will want to count this year as one of the years that the football team is banned from posts season play.

UNC is going to claim they're exempt from double jeopardy, because they've imposed self-punishment by hiring Larry Fedora.

Since the punishment is drawing nigh, let's revisit what we think is adequate. Me personally, I really don't care all that much about vacating wins, etc. The main thing to me is post-season bans and scholarship reductions for long periods. Those two things will hurt them and their fan base worse than anything else the NCAA could do, and take longer to get over. No recruit is going to say, "Well, that 2005 banner came down, so I guess I'll go to Duke instead of UNC". However, post-season bans etc. will force UNC to field a team for a few years that couldn't beat my Junior High team. What fun!!
    However, penalties should reflect when the infractions were committed, so vacating wins and giving back money are directly tied to the time of the infractions.

I also think that giving up scholarships does not hurt a program that much. Let's say UNC has to give up 3 scholarships a year for the next 5 years. Who is not going to get the scholarship? The next 5 star recruit or the manager who is a senior and is given a scholarship for his commitment to the program? UNC could still field a team with 10 highly rated players.

Post-season bans are also a deterrent but if I were a one and done and UNC was on TV during the regular season enough, I could still showcase my talents even if there were a post-season ban. That means no NCAA tournament may not reduce the talent pool either.

This is not to say that these punishments shouldn't be in play, its just that they may not reduce a teams talent pool that much.

I wish that banning UNC from TV were a possibility.

I must admit, the Friday the 13th/Haunted house just fits right in!