Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

New Painting tonite

I started a new one last nite, I'll finish it tonite. I love painting at nite, I don't care if I have to get up at 5am the next day, it's a few hours of thinking about nothing else. Anyways, I'm in to this one until it's done, might be at 3 am, but I'll post a pic when finished.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

fuzzyassedcamera...but painting is done

Last edited by -jk; 07-02-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: changed link - but it appears to be a membership page

Repost

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Repost, can't see the bloody pic!

Ick it wants me to register.

oops

I didn't think about that. I was pretty toasted and tired when I uploaded it. Here's another ..

I didn't think about that. I was pretty toasted and tired when I uploaded it. Here's another ..
    That is beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing.

Gorgeous. You've got some really great pieces on your website too.

color me impressed, as well. excellent work.

That's awesome - and I really enjoyed the work on your website too. Thanks for sharing!

As an artist....

Not bad, not bad at all, now explain to me why sometimes being "toasted" produces some of our best artwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Not bad, not bad at all, now explain to me why sometimes being "toasted" produces some of our best artwork?
    No idea. But usually I'm pretty sober when I start. Many of the ones I've done inebriated all the way through made wonderful garbage pail liners.

wait, web site for more? Where? Thanks!

Absolutely excellent!! What size is the painting?

Thanks to all for the comments. It is 24" x 9", I've always liked that long format. Alumna, if you click on my name, you will see an option to visit my homepage. That's the site. DukePA, you'll appreciate the one I'm starting tonite, it's the Ocracoke waterfront. (not the beach, the marina)

For those curious, here is where this painting came from. It's my mom's house in Pulaski, Va.

Wow, CBB! Nice contrasts (great darks) with the water colors (my favorite paint medium.) I love the 9th Street painting, as well as the Duke Gardens.

No idea. But usually I'm pretty sober when I start. Many of the ones I've done inebriated all the way through made wonderful garbage pail liners.
    You rock man. Awesome. Seriously. Good stuff.

-EarlJam

CBB, I love your work! Thanks for sharing some of it with us.

Toasted

So not to get banned, I will say alcohol has the tendancy to make me a sloppy painter. And the more I drink the sloppier I get. I've heard Jackson Pollock had his own still. It's rumoured Dali did hallucinogens at various points in his life, which seems logical if you can look at your watch melting and still be able to paint it. Toulouse Lautrec drank absynthe every day all day while painting. I can tell you from doing a half a bottle by myself in Switzerland a few years back I don't think I was capable of painting and the gnomes kept stealing my paintbrushes. I've found that one particular substance is very conducive to producing great artwork, but alas I don't live in Amsterdam.

I looked through the paintings you have on your profile and I REALLY like your style. Are most of those water color, oil or acrylic? For some reason I feel very drawn (no pun intended) to the one of the chair. Maybe it's the use of highlights and shadows, maybe it's because I'm getting old and need a place to sit down. This is a Flickr link of some of my art, most are sketches. I have a ton of paintings but I am a horrible photographer and can't seem to take decent photos of them. Oh and I specialize in people. http://www.flickr.com/photos/26964106@N02/

Vnice work, now I know where your avatar is from! All of my paintings are watercolor. I know what you mean about the photographs, none of my photos do the paintings justice. Thanks for sharing, impressive stuff.

Watercolor

Vnice work, now I know where your avatar is from! All of my paintings are watercolor. I know what you mean about the photographs, none of my photos do the paintings justice. Thanks for sharing, impressive stuff.
    Okay artist to artist, I have a very hard time with watercolor. And the property of it being very easy to blend colors is probably why you prefer it, yet it is the reason I find it so bloody hard to work with. (Same with oils, I don't have the patience to let it cure / dry before I work on it some more.) Most of the watercolor work I have done is with airbrush. Are there special brushes you use when you paint with watercolor? By that I mean are the tips pointed, flat, fanned etc. And in your opinion does the quality / price of the watercolor make a big difference in the final product? I can use cheap or expensive acrylic and even find the cheaper stuff easier to use.

Finally this is going to sound stupid, but do you paint with your wrist / arm or hand? I find my hand has to be on the paper / board / canvas to paint / draw for me to control it. I tend to work on a table or even my lap. Is the canvas / board standing up when you paint? The watercolor looks very thick from the pictures almost like oil, I'm not sure I've seen watercolor done like that before. At any rate I love the work. And I'm blunt enough to be overly critical if I didn't I assure you.