Thread: Bob Bender

Bob Bender

You know how the origins of many of our last names came from occupations or traits, reputations way back in the day?

Examples: Bobby Blacksmith's family used to be blacksmiths. Steve Farmer's family used to be farmers.

Well, I ponder. How the name "Bender?"

Just a thought for the day.

-EJ

It's an interesting coincidence that Bob Bender's name is brought up. Bob was a transfer from Indiana and started at point guard instead of Harrell during Harrell's final year. In the next year, he was the point guard on a team featuring Giminski, Banks, Dennard and Vince Taylor. Not a bad starting five! However, they only finished 5th in the regular season in a loaded ACC. Maryland won the regular season with Williams, King, Manning and Graham; UNC finished 2nd with Worthy, O'Koren, Wood, Wolf and Black; NC State tied for 2nd with Whitney, Austin, Bailey, Lowe and Watts; Clemson finished 4th with Nance, Gilliam, Campbell, Hamilton and Williams; and Virginia tied Duke for 5th with Sampson, Lamp, Raker and Jones.

Of course the Devils won the ACC tournament beating the Terps.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    You know how the origins of many of our last names came from occupations or traits, reputations way back in the day?

Examples: Bobby Blacksmith's family used to be blacksmiths. Steve Farmer's family used to be farmers.

Well, I ponder. How the name "Bender?"

Just a thought for the day.

-EJ
    It's probably a blacksmithy name; someone who could skilfully bend metal strips/rods in a useful/artsy manner. I thought about the tool known as a bend-brake, which is used in the sheet metal industry, but I think the name Bender long preceded the advent of the bend-brake