Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Arrow Blue Devil Against Blue Devil

With McRoberts gone, time to look to the future and think about the past. Who would win this game?

2006-2007 Blue Devils
    PG- Paulus- So
    SG- Scheyer- Fr
    SF- Nelson- Jr
    PF- McClure- So
    C/PF- McRoberts- So

Bench- Henderson- Fr, Thomas- Fr, Zoubek- Fr, Pocius- So

VS

2007-2008 Blue Devils
    PG- Paulus- Jr
    SG- Henderson- So
    SF- Nelson- Sr
    PF- Singler- Fr
    PF- Thomas- So
    Bench- Scheyer- So, King-Fr, Zoubek- So, Pocius- So, Smith- Fr, McClure- Jr

Why is a first-team All-ACC frosh -- and arguably Duke's steadiest player this year -- suddenly on the bench next season?

I hope that Thomas improves sufficiently in the off season to replace Scheyer, but I would give 10 to 1 against it. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I hope that Thomas improves sufficiently in the off season to replace Scheyer, but I would give 10 to 1 against it. I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.
    Do you mean Henderson? And, considering that I think Scheyer's a better player than Nelson, I'd think that's whose spot he'd be gunning for.

Scheyer's gonna be a four year starter, even it means we end up with four perimeter players.

Henderson Starting?

I think that K will either start Henderson or Scheyer but not both, so its a battle for the starting spots for the SG and SF positions. K wont bench Nelson his senior year, plus we will need Nelson's rebounding. Smith is not in the starting mix yet, nor is Pocius or King.

With the way Henderson came on at the end of the year, I project that he will beat out Scheyer for the spot. With the makeup of the Mcrobertsless team, we will need Henderson's athleticism and rebounding potential. Plus, I like Scheyer off the bench as a steady scorer. Scheyer will still get a ton of minutes and will be the 2nd leading scorer behind Singler.

Who would win?

Regardless of who starts, which team is better? Who would win?

Scheyer

Scheyer will start next year. Period. Hopefully, with some added strength and a little more confidence, he will blossom into a Spanarkel-type player. I know some will disagree, but I feel he has that potential. Even Jim Spanarkel wasn't the guy I remember when he was a freshman.

And Marty will be a Jr, not soph

sorry- had to mention it.

Jumbo, as good as your points sometimes are, I disagree Scheyer is better then Nelson. you say Scheyer was "Arguably our steadiest player this season", is correct, as it is arguable, McRoberts, Paulus, & Nelson fans could argue that.

A different player for sure, but not better. Scheyer can't get to the rack like Markie can, doesn't rebound as well, and isn't nearly as strong. Nelson is better creating something off the dribble too. All which make Markie more versatile.

Scheyer does have the advantage of range, and far better from the line. I like both kids, but you take Schey, I'll take Markie.

Agreed......

Quote Originally Posted by imagepro View Post
    sorry- had to mention it.

Jumbo, as good as your points sometimes are, I disagree Scheyer is better then Nelson. you say Scheyer was "Arguably our steadiest player this season", is correct, as it is arguable, McRoberts, Paulus, & Nelson fans could argue that.

A different player for sure, but not better. Scheyer can't get to the rack like Markie can, doesn't rebound as well, and isn't nearly as strong. Nelson is better creating something off the dribble too. All which make Markie more versatile.

Scheyer does have the advantage of range, and far better from the line. I like both kids, but you take Schey, I'll take Markie.
    If we are talking THIS YEAR.......Nelson was better than Sheyer in almost every category except free throws. Sorry Jumbo.

If asthma and elbows allow, from what I saw last year Henderson should be playing 30 a game next year. I don't think that means he has to start, but he should see starter minutes.

I think a starting lineup of Scheyer, Nelson, Henderson, Paulus and Singler is a possibility, although I don't like it that much. I figure Nelson will be reverting somewhat to his freshman year role as a very undersized power forward on the offensive end on occasion.

Zoubek's development is important, as is Singler's hype (as is Patterson's commitment, frankly, but we'll be a better team next year with or without him).

If Nolan Smith is a capable ball handler off the bench, we shouldn't be hurting for a decent 8-9 man rotation by tourney time. Pocius and Thomas, as non-freshmen, are really going to have to show something early to avoid getting buried next year.

I don't think you can call Scheyer our steadiest player at all, though the potential is certainly there. He definitely faded the 2nd half of the season, which is understandable as he acclimates himself to the college game. JJ faded towards the end of his first two seasons as well. In terms of next year, though, I think Henderson needs to start. But between Scheyer, Henderson, Nelson, and maybe even Nolan Smith, Coach K has so many pieces to work with, that I could see our starting backcourt change from game to game. From what I hear about Singler, he will probably start; we just have to get more points out of our 4 spot. And with this scoring ability so frequently attributed to King, he'll get significant minutes. Wow, so this is how it feels to have substantial depth....

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    If we are talking THIS YEAR.......Nelson was better than Sheyer in almost every category except free throws. Sorry Jumbo.
    How about turnovers, over-penetration, ability to gap the defense and quickly kick out, shot selection and "hockey assists" (passes that lead to the pass where there's an assist). Agree to disagree, I suppose.

"And, considering that I think Scheyer's a better player than Nelson, I'd think that's whose spot he'd be gunning for.
    ________"

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    How about turnovers, over-penetration, ability to gap the defense and quickly kick out, shot selection and "hockey assists" (passes that lead to the pass where there's an assist). Agree to disagree, I suppose.
    jumbo gets this one 100% correct.

"2007-2008 Blue Devils

Pocius- So"

did marty get held back? wouldn't that make him ineligible?

seriously, if he is here, which would surprise me greatly, he will probably still be our best shooter and needs enough minutes to get 8-10 shots a game.

Hey J- let me ask this-ok?

NOT arguing here. I want to ask you a question. I LIKE Scheyer, a LOT. Did you not see what a lot of other people are talking about with regards to this- late in the season... Jon was having difficulty even getting open looks. A lot of teams finally realized his scoring threat, and made adjustments. Specifically, denying him the ball. I watch him off the ball, a LOT. He is chased and harassed constantly OFF the ball. DENIAL. That's what I saw. And it worked. Not knocking the kid. I LIKE him. I see MUCH potential, as do you. Yet, he had trouble "creating" his shot in the last 8-10 games.

My question then is this-- Do you disagree with what I saw with regards to opponents defensive strategy against him, and his ability to counter it?

I'm with Jumbo and grossbus on DN. Nelson seems to bring out the staunch defenders and the critics on this board.

Next year wins

06/07 jumps out to a quick double digit lead but goes ice cold for 3 minutes in the 1st half and leads by 4 at the break. 07/08 ties it 5 minutes into the second half but is still down 3 with 10 minutes to play. 07/08 evens it up and is leading by 2 with 5 min to go. The game goes down to the wire and Henderson drains a key jumper for 07/08 with a minute to go. Paulus 07/08 seals the deal from the line as 06/07's turnover and foul-shooting problems plague it yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofHenderson View Post
    With McRoberts gone, time to look to the future and think about the past. Who would win this game?

2006-2007 Blue Devils
    PG- Paulus- So
    SG- Scheyer- Fr
    SF- Nelson- Jr
    PF- McClure- So
    C/PF- McRoberts- So

Bench- Henderson- Fr, Thomas- Fr, Zoubek- Fr, Pocius- So

VS

2007-2008 Blue Devils
    PG- Paulus- Jr
    SG- Henderson- So
    SF- Nelson- Sr
    PF- Singler- Fr
    PF- Thomas- So
    Bench- Scheyer- So, King-Fr, Zoubek- So, Pocius- So, Smith- Fr, McClure- Jr

Talking Hey Gross- Does this apply?

you say- "jumbo gets this one 100% correct."

if CMS and I disagree, that's 2-1 against. Does that mean he is now 33.3% correct?
    Just curious---

I don't think the 2008 class has anyone who can defend Josh, and I think Josh's team wins. Thomas may start, but he will see very little time because of foul trouble and contribute little on offense.