Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The LA Times says Brand is expected to re-up with the Clips, perhaps as soon as today.

--Jason "told ya there was no way Baron would sign unless Brand was also coming back" Evans

Wow! Jason "full of bold statements" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am shocked as to why Boston would rather keep Posey than get Maggette. You are talking about taking the 31 year old guy who has averaged 7-8 ppg in each of the past 4 years versus the 28 year old who as averaged better than 16 ppg in each of the past 8 years including 22 ppg last year.

Posey is a better defender, though Maggette is not a bad defender, and Posey is a better stand-still 3-point shooter, but aside from that there is no comparisons in the two players. Perhaps most importantly, if Pierce is not on the floor, Maggette would be a player who can create his own shot and break down the D in a way few other guys on Boston can. Plus, Maggette is much younger than Posey!

I really don't get keeping Posey instead of Maggette... though chemistry is a big deal and perhaps Boston does not want to fix something that ain't broken.

-Jason I am betting Corey ends up on the Spurs" Evans

Jason...you just answered your own question twice... 1, Posey is a better defender, the C's had the best defense in the league this year, that's why they won it all. 2, it's all about chemistry. Why change something that works? Posey was THE catalyst for this team.

Looks like brand got an offer from the warriors for $90million after the clips offered him $70million. he said he wants to stay in LA, but $20m?? that's a lot of dough.

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jul...orts/sp-clips3

Let the speculation begin...or maybe wait until after the holiday...I'm guessing the only reason this hasn't been posted yet is cause I'm on the west coast...

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Looks like brand got an offer from the warriors for $90million after the clips offered him $70million. he said he wants to stay in LA, but $20m?? that's a lot of dough.

Let the speculation begin...or maybe wait until after the holiday...I'm guessing the only reason this hasn't been posted yet is cause I'm on the west coast...

That would be an interesting turn of event. I thought that the clippers had offered Brand a max deal or close to it. Do they have cap issues (I can't image why they would) or are they just being their normal stingy selves?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    That would be an interesting turn of event. I thought that the clippers had offered Brand a max deal or close to it. Do they have cap issues (I can't image why they would) or are they just being their normal stingy selves?
    I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I heard on ESPN (i think it was PTI...and jay marriotti was subbing in, so take it FWIW) that the clips are not quite offering a max deal, but are offering most of what they have in terms of cap space, once you factor in the Baron Davis deal...I did get the impression that they may be able to offer a bit more and that David Faulk, his agent, would simply shop the offer and try and get a little more out of the clips.

Because of cap restrictions, the Clippers cannot offer Brand as much as the Warriors, Sixers, or TWolves can. They can come close, but not quite as much because the clips ate up almost all their cap space signing Baron.

Elton made 15.3 million last year. The Warrions are offering a deal that averages 18 million a year. Right now, the Clips are at an average of 14 million a year. I am betting the Clips will figure out a way to get it up closer to 16 million a year and that Elton will sign with them. There may be some more opt-out language after year 2 perhaps allowing Elton to go on the market in 2010 again.

Why 2010? Every team in the league is trying to clear cap space for 2010. 2010 will be the biggest and most impressive free agent class in NBA history. We are not talking restricted free agents here, where the team you are currently with gets to match any offers. We are talking about the real deal -- you go wherever you want. Here is the list:

Kobe, LeBron, DWade, Joe Johnson, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudamire, Dirk, Yao, Paul Pierce, Josh Howard, Richard Jefferson, Rip Hamilton, Tracy McGrady, Tyson Chandler, Manu Ginobli... the list goes on an on. Some of these are player option deals, but it is assumed that most of these guys will opt out and go for mega-paydays. Everyone in the league is clearing cap space for the summer of 2010. Gonna be HUGE!!

Anyway, sorry for the diversion. I am still betting that Elton is back in Clipperland, though maybe only at what he made las year or a few hundred grand more. Still, he will be on a better team, and I think that matters to him a lot!

-Jason "2010 gonna shake up the NBA" Evans